1.07 Update Stereo recording problem

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Morgan
Expert

1.07 Update Stereo recording problem

Post by Morgan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:12 am

Hi RIM, I have just downloaded the new version of Auria but for some reason the right track is now not recording. I can see both tracks modulating in the meter but when I go to play back the recorded track via the edit window there is no waveform on the right track other than a straight line. All previous recordings are ok but now can't record any stereo tracks. I am using exactly the same set up as I always have which is Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 with multiple stereo inputs. Is there something in the new version that I am missing. Thanks

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Re: 1.07 Update Stereo recording problem

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:50 am

Trevor,

You're right - this is a new bug. I've just fixed it, and the fix will appear in 1.08. But in the mean time, to get around this, tap and hold on the record enable button for that track, and when the menu comes up, check the Record Effects selection. This will properly record both channels. You'll need to bypass any effects you don't want recorded on that track, but it'll properly record your stereo track. Alternatively, you can record onto two separate mono tracks without needing to use this workaround.

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks Rim much appreciated.

Trevor

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:52 am

Yes I can confirm this happens to me too on a stereo track recording audio from a stereo microphone. The workaround did work though. Quite a major bug here as auria is used for recording all the time, might put new people off to run into this.

worth pushing through a quick 1.08 update?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:15 am

I agree. We're most likely out of expedited reviews, but we'll definitely be sending off a 1.08 update in the next couple of days.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:40 pm

I've found a way to reproduce the moving markers by accident btw.

-press play in the edit window
-touch in the timeline to jump the play head to a new location
-relatively quickly after, try tapping and dragging anywhere in the edit region below (as if to scroll through the arrangement)
-the blue markers will move to where you touched and dragged in the edit window.

if this fix could make it into 1.08 that would be sweet.

p.s. not sure if this is possible due to the new time stretch functions but the arrows on the corners of regions to move in-out / fade in-out only appear when the vertical height of the clip is pretty large. do they need to be quite so large before they arrows appear?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.

The handle functionality was improved to eliminate false selections. In previous versions, it was possible to move the handles when the regions were smaller, but often users would mistakenly select other regions. Having them larger is a big improvement in reliability.

Rim

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi Rim
Hope you don't mind me saying this but the new handle way is awkward and time consuming 8)
It's ok if you have 1-4 tracks but if you have say a 10 track project you have to enlarge & Stretch the edit window until it has around 4 tracks in the window before the handles show up to adjust :|
Much preferred the the previous way :D

Can't you revert this and the people that struggle and make mistakes with regions they should be the ones havIng to enlarge and stretch to make less mistakes

8) 8) 8)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:04 pm

I can appreciate that, but it's better overall to have Auria's GUI become more accurate, even if it means it takes a little longer to accomplish something. The larger handle touchzones are something I should have done long ago, before Auria was released. With the smaller handles, I've just had too many people complain about the handle functionality, and the fact that every time they tried to hit those little arrows, it would select an adjacent region. At this point, I'm not inclined to go back to that. It's created a lot of frustration, and made Auria look bad. At some point, I may add an option in the settings for adjusting the handle size, but for now, it's just going to take a little getting used to. Believe me, accuracy is MUCH better than speed when it comes to manipulating audio.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:13 pm

regarding handles.

I get the need for accuracy and consistence. An interesting compromise could be that the in-out handles appear 1st and then the fade handles appear 2nd when further expanded. That way there is a half way stage for easy access to the most often used handles and so keeping screen clutter to a minium. Do you think that could work?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:42 pm

That's an interesting and clever solution. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks,
Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:05 pm

mtingle wrote:regarding handles.

I get the need for accuracy and consistence. An interesting compromise could be that the in-out handles appear 1st and then the fade handles appear 2nd when further expanded. That way there is a half way stage for easy access to the most often used handles and so keeping screen clutter to a minium. Do you think that could work?

I would also vote for something like this suggestion - I for one really liked the way it was from a track height/screen perspective although I understand your need to be more accurate.

Regards,
phil.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:54 am

Or how about double tapping the track name expands the track height to the size ready for editing. Double tap the track again to take it back to how it was.

This also could be useful for working on automation for a track quickly and easily.

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:07 am

Or a toggle button full page vs regular size.

One presse to resize the track to full size.
Second press to restore to previous size.

All the double / triple taps will later need a special manual to remember :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 am

I've just implemented this. Now, when you shrink the track sizes, the fade circles disappear, and you only see the trim circles.

Rim