Monitoring latency with Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

indratgj
Expert

Monitoring latency with Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL

Post by indratgj » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:58 am

I am going to attempt to record my Celtic band's second CD entirely using Auria and an Audiobox 1818vsl. From some things I've read online, I have some concerns about monitoring latency.

I have read about "direct monitoring," as a way to achieve near-zero latency. However, I am not sure how direct monitoring would be accomplished with the AudioBox 1818. I think PreSonus assumes you'll install the Virtual Studio Live software and use this as your DAW. Obviously, I am going to use Auria (for lot's of reasons), so I haven't even considered installing the VSL software. I don't see how VSL would be used in this context anyway, since Auria is running on my iPad and VSL would be running, I think, on my desktop.

Anyway, is there a way to do direct monitoring using Auria, the 1818 (without VSL software installed), and an iPad 4?

If not, can I expect unnoticeable latency if I monitor through Auria, using the above configuration?

If it makes any difference, I plan to use a Presonus HP60 headphone amp. Thanks for any input you guys have!
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Monitoring latency with Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 am

As far as I know, there's no way to set up monitoring (of any kind) through the 1818 when using it with an iPad. Their VSL software is needed to adjust any of these settings, and that only runs on PC/Mac. Auria can be set to 256 samples of latency, which is not bad when monitoring.

Rim

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:13 pm

With some experimentation, I've been able to use the output matrix to send selected tracks to the various output channels on the back of 1818. For example, I sent a drum mix subgroup to output channel 1, using the Auria output matrix. To verify this, I plugged one of my powered monitors into the 1818's line out 1; and a second powered monitor plugged into the 1818's line out 2.

By using Auria's output matrix to alternately send the drums first to 1818 channel 1 and then to channel 2, I was able to move the drum playback to one or the other monitor speaker.

So I believe this confirms that I should be able to feed a headphone amplifier from selected line outs on the 1818, and determine what gets to the headphone mix by routing the desired instruments using Auria's output matrix.

As an aside, though, I am baffled as to why I can't turn down the whole drumset using the subgroup fader to which the drums are all assigned. The subgroup fader has no effect on the volume of the drums. Am I missing something here?
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 pm

The subgroup outputs go to the output assignments pre-fader, so you can't adjust their volumes when assigning to an output. I may change that in an upcoming version, as it would be helpful to be able to adjust them before assigning to an output.

Rim