External harddrives wifi ect...

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Crumballs

External harddrives wifi ect...

Post by Crumballs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi,
Has anybody successfuly exported from auria to an external hard drive like an 'idisk' or other and if so, is there one you thought worked well and would recomend I buy? I ask this, because using dropbox is a very slow and painful process.
Thank you

Crumballs

Re: External harddrives wifi ect...

Post by Crumballs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:07 am

Thanks for your help Dave, first website is down for maintenance so i'll check it out when it's back on line. Thanks again!

Crumballs

Post by Crumballs » Mon May 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks Dave,
I checked out the link you posted, but i think i may have badly explained myself.
My main problem, is i'm often in places with very little or no internet. I'm trying to understand if auria on an ipad can work easily (if at all..) with an external stocking device (via wifi) thus allowing the ipad and auria to export projects and import them quickly from the stocking device on to the ipad.
Maybe something with 32giga storage space and that won't fall appart after two weeks and has a longlife battery or the possibilty to be pluged into the mains.
I hope i'm making more sense,
Thanks again!

thelip

Post by thelip » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:10 pm

I'm curious if anybody has found a solution to this question? Thanks

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:27 am

This is nearly impossible, and is a major frustration, particularly for photographers, given the vast number of large files they generate.
It is also very tiring to find endless threads where the original post is not properly read, and get told about streaming media FROM disk. Or be told 'just download to iTunes'. Or 'Just use dropbox'.
If you want to move files FROM ipad TO external Hard Drive, particularly non-photographic files, you need to Jailbreak your device and use a program called iFile. I'm not recommending this, I'm just saying that at this time, I believe it's the only way to do it.
There are lots of disks with built in SD card slots and built in routers etc etc, but none of them allow you to write a directory of files (ie an Auria project) to the disk.

Dominic

tagdar

Post by tagdar » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:11 pm

I have the same requirements as crumballs I think. I am seriously considering auria for my 16gb iPad Air but the main drawback I can see is lack of storage. How do other iPad users cope with this? How much space is required for an average song for example? Do you need to remove all other apps and data to make it usable, ie a dedicated auria platform. Wanting to use it with the recently released focusrite itrack dock which I am waiting to arrive here in New Zealand to buy. On that subject, anyone using it yet?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:20 am

It occurs to me that, if Auria could be enabled to zip-up a project, there are apps (Goodreader and FileBrowser, for example) that can "Open In..." a zip and those apps can then move them to external storage (NAS, SMB, etc). Likewise, if Auria could be enabled to "Open In..." zip files, projects could be imported that way too.

Is that do-able, @Rim?

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:34 pm

in my experience with 16GB iPads (I don't own other iPads), I must concentrate on one or two Auria projects. An unfinished project must be transferred to a computer or dropbox before I start a new one. It's not a problem, it just needs some discipline and attention.

I did delete some apps I never use to save storage space, Garageband is one of them. Not wanting to say that Garageband is bad or something, I just prefer to work with Auria.

tagdar

Post by tagdar » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:06 am

Thanks for your replies. Having not downloaded and used auria yet, what is your procedure for saving a project to Dropbox or your computer? Is it a reasonably simple process, and how about re opening and continuing with a project? I have no problem working on one project at a time if it's easy enough to move them around.

Diogo MadIntercourse

Post by Diogo MadIntercourse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:21 am

I've an iPad Air 16Gb and I've found the best solution to be a jailbroken device. Just buy iFile and through CCK you can backup projects i.e. to a pen drive. This is actually an excellent solution that Apple still don't want to integrate in their iOS. It allows you to carry as much as a 128 gb small sized drive in your keychain.....just saying.
For now, what you can do is tether internet through your mobile phone and export projects to dropbox...a lot of data usage btw, but very useful to transfer small things like samples etc.

So get Auria because its worth it, even with 16Gb....get rid of the games =P

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:55 am

Diogo MadIntercourse wrote:I've an iPad Air 16Gb and I've found the best solution to be a jailbroken device. Just buy iFile and through CCK you can backup projects i.e. to a pen drive. This is actually an excellent solution that Apple still don't want to integrate in their iOS. It allows you to carry as much as a 128 gb small sized drive in your keychain.....just saying.
For now, what you can do is tether internet through your mobile phone and export projects to dropbox...a lot of data usage btw, but very useful to transfer small things like samples etc.

So get Auria because its worth it, even with 16Gb....get rid of the games =P
Diogo, are you saying that iFile will only work on a jailbroken iPad? I would love to run my iPad into a powered hub via the CCK and also hook in my Focusrite Saffire 18i20 and a thumb drive for backing up my Auria projects. My iPad Air is 32GB. Gave my GF my iPad 4 with 16GB, since she only uses it for lyrics.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Sound Engineer / Harmonica
Stefani Entertainment