Mono Tracks Made Stereo After Adding Audiobus

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Mono Tracks Made Stereo After Adding Audiobus

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:27 am

Hi,
When adding Audiobus to an existing project, all previously recorded mono tracks are changed to stereo. I added a track through Audiobus (forced stereo, as it won't create mono), in this case iFretless Bass, and my instrumental mono tracks became stereo, only playing through the left channel. Removing Audiobus and the newly created track didn't change anything. The recorded mono tracks are now permanently stereo.
Would you please look into this.
T

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Mono Tracks Made Stereo After Adding Audiobus

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 am

The audiobus/track functionality has all been rewritten in 1.07. Auria now automatically creates new tracks when using Audiobus, and if you manually choose to assign a mono track to an audiobus input, it will remain mono.

Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:49 am

That's great, but have you tested to see if adding Audiobus tracks to existing projects permanently changes mono tracks to stereo?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:07 am

I'm not sure I follow what you're asking. Auria doesn't have "audiobus tracks", it just has normal audio tracks. You add tracks by using the "add tracks" menu item. At that point you have the option of making them mono or stereo before you press ok. In other words, using Audiobus doesn't create a new track in 1.06. 1.07 will change all that by creating automatic tracks, but the version you've got doesn't do that. I assume you're talking about using an existing track, and setting it's input source to an audiobus input using the input matrix?

Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:24 am

Yes, I add a track through the track matrix like normal. In doing so, all mono tracks previously recorded are then made stereo when I do this while trying to record through Audiobus.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 am

I'm still not following. The input matrix doesn't add tracks, so you couldn't have added a track through the input matrix. You add tracks by using the "add track" menu. The input matrix is only for setting the input of that track. Also, I tested this with 1.06, and setting a track in the input matrix to audiobus only makes that particular track stereo, not all tracks like you said. You're saying all your tracks become mono? If this is true, please let me know how I can duplicate this here, as it might be some new bug.

Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 am

I'll try to recap and hopefully make it more clear. Sorry if I'm confusing things.
I have a completed project with recorded mono tracks.
I recently discovered iFretless Bass and would like to add a bass track.
I add a track and, using Audiobus, record a new track.
When I add the new track the Previously Recorded Mono tracks are now stereo.
If I remove the new track, the previously recorded mono tracks are Still stereo.
Would you please test this?

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 am

Please read the first sentence from the first post.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:06 am

Not a problem, I just want to make sure I get it right. OK, so you added a new track, assigned that track to audiobus in the input matrix, and all your other previously recorded tracks turn into stereo tracks? I tested this and I don't see it happening here. I do find, however that setting a track to audiobus mode in the input matrix does turn that track into stereo (even if it was mono). But just that one track, not all tracks. Maybe you went into the input matrix and set all your tracks to audiobus (maybe you did this while experimenting?) This would cause all of them (one at a time) to become stereo.

In any case, 1.07 won't do this, as it supports mono tracks being assigned to audiobus, and won't change them to stereo.

Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:32 am

Yes, that's exactly what happens upon playback/monitoring. Mono tracks are now stereo and they only play out of the left channel. They are still mono wave forms. I did not assign any other tracks in the input matrix, only track 9. Track 7 is now stereo with a mono waveform. After removing the new track (with Audiobus), and adding a new mono track (without Audiobus), if I copy and paste the original mono recording there, everything is fine.

If 1.07 fixes this, great.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:13 am

OK, thanks for the clarification, I'll look into this further.

Rim

Phixit

Post by Phixit » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Rim wrote:The audiobus/track functionality has all been rewritten in 1.07. Auria now automatically creates new tracks when using Audiobus, and if you manually choose to assign a mono track to an audiobus input, it will remain mono.

Rim

Sorry for interrupting,

But if I record a stereo track on the normal inputs, "no audio bus"
Auria let only 1 channel recording, the left channel. The right channel no recording @ all.
And there are more audio issues (mono) but I think it has also to do with the last iOS update.

Sometimes there is no sound at all, by the main output.
But you can see the main meters working, but no signal at the presonus 1818 vsl.
Never had this problem before.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 pm

This is a known bug with the latest version, and there's a thread describing this and the workaround. Basically, if you use the "Record Effects" option, you won't have this problem, as this uses a different signal path. To choose that option, hold down the record enable button until you see the menu.

This is fixed already in 1.08

Rim

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:56 pm

I made a bounce of a mono track and pasted it onto the same track. It turned up as a two-waveform stereo track next to the old one-waveform mono recording. Realized that I didn't check the mono box at the mixdown, and did it once over but as mono.

So this mono track with stereo side by side is strange. Maybe related to this topic?
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:14 pm

No, that's normal. Auria supports stereo regions on mono tracks. As soon as you insert a stereo file onto a mono track, it turns the track into stereo.

Rim