Problems with auria recognising Fast Track

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Kingofapes

Problems with auria recognising Fast Track

Post by Kingofapes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:23 am

Hi there,

Just bought Auria few days ago as my first DAW, and am looking forward to get started!

However, after having bought all the bits (auria, m-audio fast track (the basic model as on the approved working list), powered usb hub, camera connection kit), I still cannot get Auria to recognise the USB input. It keeps showing INT and whatever I do nothing happens.

Anyone been in the same situation? Any ideas?

Cheers,

David

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Problems with auria recognising Fast Track

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 am

This sounds like a simple connection issue. Make sure you've got the USB hub connections going the right way (Fast Track going to one of the hub's input ports, and the Camera connection kit going to the hub's one output jack). Make sure the hub is getting power. Make sure you're using a genuine Apple camera connection kit.

Rim

Kingofapes

Post by Kingofapes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Rim and thanks for the quick reply!

I am using a genuine apple connection, going the right way and the hub is definitely powered (it has a status led). As far as I understand auria should reconise it without me having to specify channel/input? Could it be the hub (£20 7-port seemingly good quality)?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:38 am

If you're not getting the INT to change to USB, it's a problem with your iPad not recognizing the interface for some reason. (you'd have the same issue with other apps I would imagine). If you plug the Fasttrack directly into the camera connection kit, bypassing the hub, do you get a message about drawing too much power? If so, I would suspect the hub.

Rim

Kingofapes

Post by Kingofapes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:22 pm

I do get that message, so try another hub is the way? Can you recommend one that tends to work with auria?

David

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:27 pm

That's what I would suspect. Have you tried rebooting your iPad as well? Sometimes the audio system can get stuck in a mode, and rebooting solves it.

I have a very old no-name hub, but maybe other users can recommend a model that works?

Thanks,
Rim

Kingofapes

Post by Kingofapes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Thanks again for the quick reply Rim! I got a new d-link usb hub, so ill try taht soon as, if that doesn't work ill try rebooting the ipad! Let you know how it goes.

David

Kingofapes

Post by Kingofapes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi again Rim,

Tried rebooting and the new hub. Any chance that the fast track just doesn't work with it? What would be your recommendation for a good, cheap, I terrace that's guaranteed to work?

David

Kingofapes

Post by Kingofapes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:43 pm

It still says Not enough power for device when I run direct from fast track to ipad..

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Do you have headphone plugged in to the iPad when you plug in the camera connection kit? Maybe try without headphones to see if it makes a difference.

I have a FastTrack here and it works fine. It's says "FastTrack Guitar|Mic Recording Interface" on the front. Is this the same one you have? Maybe they've changed compatibility between models. There seem to be a lot of variations on the FastTrack.

Rim

Kingofapes

Post by Kingofapes » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:13 am

It's not that either, annoyingly. I'm gonna have to try and borrow a different interface and see if that works, the budget is already spent:/ thanks again!

Kingofapes

Post by Kingofapes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:13 am

It refuses to work with my fast track, and a line 6 tone port. I've tried two different powered hubs, and it still insists on INT. My budget is spent and I'm a bit peeved that I have wasted £120 + on a non working tool. I know this is an app, but is there any way to get a refund - send it back , as it was?

David

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:43 am

Something very simple must be wrong here - either both of your interfaces are incompatible (possible, but unlikely), or you've got a bad piece of hardware (bad cable, bad camera connection kit, bad iPad interface, etc). Getting a USB device to work with Auria is actually an iPad issue, not an Auria issue, as Auria will work with all interfaces that work on an iPad. Here's what I would suggest - see if either of your interfaces work on other iPad apps. There are plenty of free ones you can try for testing. Auria doesn't do anything special. If it works on other apps, it will work in Auria (the audio system is completely controlled by your iPad, and not by Auria). In other words, it's your iPad that's choosing whether to have Auria display that INT or USB indicator.

That said, I also what to make sure you're using the latest version of Auria, as there was a bug in earlier versions, where the INT/USB indicator would not change if you had headphones plugged into the iPad (the interface would still work fine, and you would see levels and be able to record/play, but the indicator was just not working). The latest version is 1.06, and you can check your version by going to the settings page in Auria.

Rim

Kingofapes

Post by Kingofapes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:43 am

Having tried a few different apps, I've found that my setup works fine with MIDI guitar, but not with garage band or Auria. So that tells me it works fine for midi controlling, but not audio. Am I right about that? What would be the cheapest approved interface?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Sounds like your interface only supports midi. If you only need one audio input, I recommend an interface like the Apogee Jam. For two inputs, the Focusrite 2i2 works well. Neither of these require a hub.

Rim