Getting Headphone out to work on 1818VSL

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mandodon
Expert

Getting Headphone out to work on 1818VSL

Post by mandodon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 pm

I got an iPad 4, and just hooked it up to my 1818VSL. I've got signal in Auria, I've got signal through the iPad headphones out, but nothing through the 1818VSL. I thought this was fixed with iOS 6 or 5. I do get static/crackling noise through the headphones plugged into the 1818vsl when I first plug in the interface, but after that, nothing.

When I try to turn the volume up on the iPad itself, nothing happens (I don't get the display showing the volume going up). The volume display seems to get disabled when I plug in the USB camera adapter. I know I had to do that with my old iPad 2 to get signal to the 1818vsl.

Nothing I try on the output matrix gives me any signal out. WTF?

I have the latest versions of the iOS and Auria. Did something get broken in the latest versions?

I need to use this. Help!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Getting Headphone out to work on 1818VSL

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 pm

We haven't had any reports of issues with this, and I just tried it myself on our 1818, and it worked fine here. I recommend restarting your iPad (close Auria and all other background apps first). Some other things to check - make sure you're using a powered USB hub. Unpowered ones can cause issues sometimes. You're right - iOS 6 disabled the volume controls on the side of the iPad when a USB device is plugged in, but this shouldn't cause any problems. I recommend also starting a new project at 44.1Khz, just to rule out any issues with a corrupt project.

Rim

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:23 pm

OK, I got it working. I guess the iPad has become like windows--restarting fixes about everything. :twisted: :D

For anyone else having headphone out problems, you do have to go into the Output Matrix and set the main outs to 7&8--that's what Presonus set the headphone out default to on the 1818vsl for some reason.

I'll make sure I quit all apps and restart the iPad before any future recording sessions. I do that with my MacBook Pro, too, now that I think about it. Been awhile since I've been in recording mode--I hope that changes real soon.

Thanks, Rim. You guys are great!!

PeterDoubt

Post by PeterDoubt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi,
New 1818vsl user here. I'm having the same issue with the headphone ou. I switched the output matrix to 7&8 but still nothing. I also don't hear anything out of the mains, even when I play a completed project. Any hints? Thanks

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Make sure that you're only running headphones out of the PreSonus and not the iPads headphone jack. This was a recent change to Auria.

PeterDoubt

Post by PeterDoubt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:38 pm

drock wrote:Make sure that you're only running headphones out of the PreSonus and not the iPads headphone jack. This was a recent change to Auria.
Got that covered. Can't figure out why the mains don't work either.
Took me all day to get it working on my laptop - I hope. At least the VSL works and the Ipad remote app.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:05 am

Are you using iOS 6 or iOS 5? If you're on 5, you need to turn up your iPad's hardware volume buttons (the buttons on the side of the iPad). Do this only after the 1818 is plugged in and you see the USB text at the top.

Rim

PeterDoubt

Post by PeterDoubt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:41 am

Rim,
I'm on ios6 on my Ipad 3, so I can't do that. I also have an Ipad 1 that's on ios 5, but that won't allow me to change the output matrix. Thanks. This is a conundrum...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:20 am

There might be something misconfigured in the 1818. Have you tried connecting it to a PC or Mac, running the Presonus control panel software, and resetting everything back to defaults?

Rim

PeterDoubt

Post by PeterDoubt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 am

Rim wrote:There might be something misconfigured in the 1818. Have you tried connecting it to a PC or Mac, running the Presonus control panel software, and resetting everything back to defaults?

Rim
Are you talking about the VSLl software? I was just going to do that and see if the headphone volume is turned down on that and somehow set the 1818 box...

PeterDoubt

Post by PeterDoubt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:57 am

That did the trick! The volume was down all the way on the virtual mixer phones. Turned it up (actually I returned all volumes back to max, the way they were when I first fired it up). Set mains to 7&8 on Auria once I hooked the 1818 up to the Ipad, and got phones. Had to switch mains back to 1&2 to get the main out from the box to my monitors (normal for Auria?). Thought about this last night when I went to bed and wrote a note to myself to try it in the am. Thanks, Rim. It's interesting that the volume changes on the VSL seem to be 'permanent' on the 1818. I wonder if it affects the individual channel gains?

Still confused about why the mains didn't work but now do, but what the hey - any ideas? It'd be nice to be able to use both headphones and monitors on playback sometimes. Is there a sticky here for users of particular interfaces? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. And I appreciate that this forum is here to begin with!

Now to try some tracks this afternoon...