Bug regarding the automation

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Bug regarding the automation

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 am

What do you suggest?

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Rim wrote:What do you suggest?

Rim
My first idea was a second drop down menu for each of the additional plug ins. So that i can just click on, let's say, Saturn and it will just show the available attributes of Saturn. But even that isn't quite good enough for the workflow, because you've got sooo many different attributes. Imagine i would like to set control points for a specific value of XLFO 6. It would require me at least half a minute to find the specific value (and even that's not always possible, because the menu is not able to show all the attribute names fully) and then just finding them again would slow my workflow down signifcantly.

I've been thinking about it for a while now, and i've got some ideas, but i'm not quite sure what really would suit the workflow the most.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Yeah, i think that then a third drop down menu for the bulkiest function levels of each plug in would be the best idea that i can come up with right now. For example:

Pro-Q
- Bands

or

Timeless
- XLFOs

This way one could organize all the different attributes a bit.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:08 am

Unfortunately, this kind of parameter grouping is not possible, because there's no provision for that in the VST standard... All DAWs have this problem, even Pro Tools, Logic, etc. Parameters are simply listed exactly the way the plugin developer named the parameters.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:34 am

Rim wrote:Unfortunately, this kind of parameter grouping is not possible, because there's no provision for that in the VST standard... All DAWs have this problem, even Pro Tools, Logic, etc. Parameters are simply listed exactly the way the plugin developer named the parameters.

Rim
I see. But could the plug ins at least be grouped as single instances with a second drop down menu for all the connected attributes? That would help a lot, too.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:36 am

Could you elaborate on what you mean by grouped as single instance?

Thanks,
Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 am

Rim wrote:Could you elaborate on what you mean by grouped as single instance?

Thanks,
Rim
Something like this:

Automation
-Saturn
-Timeless
-Drumagog

And then you can open and close the attributes list of each plug-in via a second drop down menu seperately. That way one wouldn't have to scroll through all the available instances of each plug in when one's just searching for a specific parameter of a specific plug-in.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 am

Oh, and another idea, that's been on my mind for quite some time now, is, that it would be really useful if the already highlighted used attributes could somehow automatically be collected at the top of the drop down menu.

It's already helpful that used attributes get highlighted, but you still have to scroll through myriads of options to access them again, and that slows down the workflow significantly, when you're using them a lot.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:21 am

Good ideas, guys. But not easy to implement immediately. I'll definitely add these to my list.

Thanks,
Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:22 am

It still happens all the time that the automation won't follow the easiest functions, like volume control. A simple fade out over some seconds, and the volume will just remain on it's entry level. And yes, the "read" button is on :D

This one is particularly bugging because i need it so often.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:52 am

Interestingly, when i press stop during an automation routine, it will adjust the volume to the level where i stop it. When i then press play again it will keep that level until i press stop again.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:58 am

Oh, i found out something. When i add an additionial controll point to the first one, that never seems to be connected to the others really, it starts to follow the routine. Problem is, i never see whether i need to add an additional point or not. It's a bit trial and error right now.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:07 am

Geronimo,

I don't see any of these bugs here. Automation works perfectly here, including volume automation and fades. If there's a special case (maybe a project that uses a special combination of settings, etc) where you can demonstrate this occurring, I'd appreciate it.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:17 am

Rim wrote:Geronimo,

I don't see any of these bugs here. Automation works perfectly here, including volume automation and fades. If there's a special case (maybe a project that uses a special combination of settings, etc) where you can demonstrate this occurring, I'd appreciate it.

Rim
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cxfadqeh10in ... Upload.prj

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:20 am

Thanks, but please let me know exactly what to do once I load your project.

Rim