My 2 cents.....

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

warfaanax
Expert

Re: My 2 cents.....

Post by warfaanax » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Rim wrote:I've done some tests today, and I think I may have discovered why you've been experiencing additional latency with Jam Up/Audiobus/Auria. Auria handles inputs from Audiobus a little differently than other recording apps. In Auria, the audio input from Audiobus gets routed into Auria's mixer, through it's plug-ins, then out to the speaker/headphones. This kind of routing provides powerful flexibility, because you can add Auria's effects in real time to the Audiobus input. However, as a result, this also adds an additional layer of latency. It doesn't add much, but it's enough that you might notice when playing fast parts on a guitar, for example.

So, in Auria v1.07, I've decided to add a new setting: Audiobus Live mode. If you enable this, Auria will let Audiobus handle all the input monitoring, so you'll get less latency. After adding this new mode, I measured the same amount of latency as other recording apps using Audiobus.

Rim

Great news for us then. Thank you Rim. Next update will be great

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:17 am

warfaanax wrote:I bought his app with great hopes and now I don't even wanna use it. I will try to list some of my thoughts about this app so developers can fix it or improve it. I have ipad 4 32gb running ios 6.1

1. Latency: when using audiobus with jamup it makes it impossible to record. So much latency. Cubasis with audiobus and jamup has no latency. So this is Auria's fault

2. Crashes: I cant stand to see this installation window everytime i use it with audiobus. You have to wait installing over and over again.

3. Count in: Count in with metronome is useless. Metronome goes out of sync if u use count in.

4. Metronome: Just to be able to use and activate metronome every time you have to go through the menu. So much hassle. Its a metronome and people who record things into this DAW mostly use metronome. Why is this torture just to activate or change a tempo or beat? Cant you just put a button with a dropdown menu on mixing screen. Settings is not where metronome should be!!!!!

5. Menus: to perform easy tasks such as copy paste or adjusting metronome or Activating metronome are such a pain. When u add a new track you have to go and choose audibus and channels over and over again. These functions should be put somewhere easy to access!!!

Overall I am not satisfied with this app at all. It doesn't even let me record guitar because of its latency. I cant even use metronome with count it.

This app is great and thats why I bought it but seems like there are so many problems. I sometimes wish appstore had a 15min refund policy like android. Being someone with a limited budget, after paying this amount of money to an app + audiobus and other audiobus compatible apps I expect it to work, if not flawlessly but just work...

I hope developers will consider these problems and fix it asap with the next update since I am not alone....
-----------

1. I have no latency problem with Auria & Alesis iOdock.

2. It crashes some times. And I get a lot of CPU overload messages, despite having 64G on my iPad .

3. I don't use or need the metronome. I have MIDI sequencers for that.

4. Ditto #3

5. It is more difficult to do basic editing functions in Auria. But for me - that's OK.

This is old school recording. What ever you do - PLEASE DO NOT MAKE IT MORE COMPLICATED! !

----------

I'm just a stupid user with 20+ years of MIDI / DAW experience. If Auria wants to cater to pro engineers - good luck.
Go for that gold-plated market. As for me, I will go back to computer-based DAW.

I like AURIA because I like the old-school feel. Mixer and hardware.

If the goali is to compete with Steinberg or SONAR - good luck.

warfaanax
Expert

Post by warfaanax » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:06 am

2. It crashes some times. And I get a lot of CPU overload messages, despite having 64G on my iPad .

4. Ditto #3

5. It is more difficult to do basic editing functions in Auria. But for me - that's OK.

This is old school recording. What ever you do - PLEASE DO NOT MAKE IT MORE COMPLICATED! !

----------

I'm just a stupid user with 20+ years of MIDI / DAW experience. If Auria wants to cater to pro engineers - good luck.
Go for that gold-plated market. As for me, I will go back to computer-based DAW.

1. Rim says he found the reason for latency. Its only with certain setups. Thats probably why you don't have.

2. If you are a guitar player you need a metronome. I don't think I am the only one. Its good to have metronome is handles by your recording app.

No one is asking to make it more complicated. We are just asking to put more used functions on the main editing window instead of unnecessary buttons. This will make it easier to use.

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:37 am

warfaanax wrote:

4. Ditto #3

----------

1. Rim says he found the reason for latency. Its only with certain setups. Thats probably why you don't have.

2. If you are a guitar player you need a metronome. I don't think I am the only one. Its good to have metronome is handles by your recording app.

No one is asking to make it more complicated. We are just asking to put more used functions on the main editing window instead of unnecessary buttons. This will make it easier to use.
Actually, I play guitar & keys. I can use the metronomes in my external gear & record into Auia if I need to - playing back a MIDI sequence - for example. Thus far, I haven't needed Auia's internal metronome. Maybe as I clear some gear out - I will.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 am

Ok, maybe I missed it, but the op has not stated the audio interface they are using.
Louparte says no problems on the alesis io dock. Now it's my understanding that the alesis uses the iPad's internal conversion, hence the reason for less latency, no?
Folks need to start posting everything about their rigs if wavemachine labs is expected to help...
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 am

The IO Dock uses USB (MFi). In any case, I think the OP was referring to latency when using Audiobus, and this is being investigated.

Thanks,
Rim

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 pm

warfaanax wrote:I completely agree what Washboy says, every word. Menus should be designed in a better way.
Is it possible to have menu items chosen upon LIFTING your finger? What I mean is, have the items highlight upon hover, but select only after release. This would help the fat finger people out there (me included). In fact, this would help all around the screen.

dinomedanhodzic
Expert

Post by dinomedanhodzic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:18 am

thebioguy wrote:
warfaanax wrote:I completely agree what Washboy says, every word. Menus should be designed in a better way.
Is it possible to have menu items chosen upon LIFTING your finger? What I mean is, have the items highlight upon hover, but select only after release. This would help the fat finger people out there (me included). In fact, this would help all around the screen.
This is what I do all the time. When choosing cut, paste, duplicate etc..

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:25 am

dinomedanhodzic wrote:
thebioguy wrote:
This is what I do all the time. When choosing cut, paste, duplicate etc..
Wait, it already works that way??!! :shock:

That was FAST Rim! Thanks for the update (and I didn't even have to download anything).

:oops:

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:40 am

thebioguy wrote:Wait, it already works that way??!! :shock:

That was FAST Rim! Thanks for the update (and I didn't even have to download anything).

:oops:
:oops: I'm so pleased to learn of that feature! It will help me a lot. I still think icon buttons are better for frequently accessed functions, though, such as a lot of the Edit menu. A floating Edit Tool Panel would be very useful.

Apologies for chipping in on this thread. Perhaps my comments re ergonomics should be in the Wishlist thread instead. Rim?

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 am

Washboy wrote: A floating Edit Tool Panel would be very useful.

Rim?

This needs some quoting. :P

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:30 am

ChrisG wrote:
Washboy wrote: A floating Edit Tool Panel would be very useful.

Rim?

This needs some quoting. :P
Or (slightly) mis-quoting :wink: :D

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:47 am

Sorry I just had to :evil:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:52 am

There will definitely be some update in this area, it's already on my list.

Rim