Apogee Jam has quit working

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

keithz5544

Apogee Jam has quit working

Post by keithz5544 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:38 am

I have an Apogee Jam connected to my iPad 2 32Gb. I just launched Auria (after an update) and an alert came telling that there is an unknown issue that audiobus doesn't know what to do with yet. I've rebooted several times and the best that I can get is a signal to the input but nothing to the out put. I loaded the demo song "The Approach". Hit play and nothing happened. It didn't play at all. I disconnected the Apogee Jam and everything played fine through the internal speaker. Could you guys please have a look at this or let me know how to resolve this issue. Thanks!

Keith

mtclearwave

Re: Apogee Jam has quit working

Post by mtclearwave » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:26 pm

I am having the same problem on the iPad 4. Constantly bombarded with Autobus crash screens. Tip - if you keep closing the crash screens sometimes as many as 4 in a row - then the Apogee Jam will start working - but it is really a pain. I also discovered I could not monitor the sound while recording and if I would unplug the headphones Auria would immediately crash - not fun!

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

I
Last edited by Jus on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 am

I'll have a look at this.

Thanks,
RIm

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:14 pm

I have an Apogee Jam and both an iPad 4 (running iOS 6.01) & an iPad 3 (running iOS 5.1.1). Both are running Auria 1.0.6.

The Jam runs great with both, no monitoring issues at all.

Audiobus is another issue entirely. IOS 5.1.1 just doesn't work well at all with Audiobus. However, even there I've been able to get the Apogee Jam playing into Auria using Jamup Proas an effect.

mtclearwave

Post by mtclearwave » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:21 am

hi rim
I am still having severe monitoring problems with Apogee jam. Have you tracked down the problem yet? iPad 4 - not jailbroken 6.01 Auria 1.06

mtclearwave

Post by mtclearwave » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:49 am

my problem does not concern Audiobus. When I record normally on one track with the Apogee Jam i hear nothing over the ipad 4 headphones. No record monitoring possible. On earlier versions of Auria i never had this problem? What could be causing this?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am

Oh, sorry, I misread your question. OK, I just tested this with an Apogee Jam, and it works fine here on a new install of 1.06. Are you sure you have record monitor enabled in the settings, the record level control is set properly, and the input matrix is set to USB channel 1?

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:45 pm

I think you have to plug the headphones/monitors in before you connect the Jam.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:30 pm

It shouldn't matter which order you do it in.

Rim

mtclearwave

Post by mtclearwave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:58 am

Thanks Rim!
Yes, it is all working properly now.
Is there any way to adjust the record monitoring level. The sound coming out of the headphones is too weak to hear a proper difference between effects on and off. I guess the only way to go is to get a microphone amp? Or am I missing something???

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:26 am

You use the mixer itself to adjust the monitor level. The fader on the recording channel is the one you use to make the adjustment. Also, turn up the master fader if it's not enough. You may need to turn down the rest of the faders in the mix if it's not loud enough.

Also, you may want to play with the record level (hold down on the record enable button until you see the menu).

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:27 am

mtclearwave wrote:Is there any way to adjust the record monitoring level. The sound coming out of the headphones is too weak to hear a proper difference between effects on and off. I guess the only way to go is to get a microphone amp? Or am I missing something???
I have an Apogee Jam and I've been trying to reproduce your problem. I can't and I suspect that some vital piece of information may be missing here.

Do you have your input gain set satisfactorily - by combination of guitar 'Volume' knob, Apogee Jam 'Gain' knob, and Auria's track input gain control (Record Level knob) - and that your input track's meter is registering well? Oh, and 'Record Monitor' is 'On' in Auria's Settings page, of course.

Your Apogee Jam is being used with a guitar and not a microphone, yes?

Is your iPad's 'headphones' volume is turned up sufficiently via the volume rocker switch (remembering that iPad maintains separate levels for internal speaker and headphones).

You refer to effects being on/off. Which effects?

My advice would be to start by making a new, one track, project in Auria and, without using any effects to begin with (e.g. EQ, plug-ins and FX such as JamUp), simply confirm that you can get an input signal with sufficient gain to register well on the input track's meter. Assuming you can hear things loudly enough through your headphones, add in extra items to the signal path (one at a time) until you encounter your volume problem again. At which point, the last element introduced must be where the problem lies.

Please accept my apologies if you've already considered everything I've mentioned above.

mtclearwave

Post by mtclearwave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:17 am

Hey Washboy
Thanks for your tips - it was the headphone volume rocker - :oops:
Now I am all smiles!

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Yay! :D

I've made that same mistake myself (more than once :oops: ). Glad I could help :)