Can't hear output when Audiobus Recording

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

trupro
Expert

Can't hear output when Audiobus Recording

Post by trupro » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Great update and almost have it working, read other's posts and manual but I'm doing at least one thing wrong here...

Launched Audiobus, then launched Animoog as an input. Launched Auria as an Output, also from audiobus interface.
Set Auria input matrix to 1/2. Armed track I want to record to in Auria. I can see the levels jumping on the input track, catching the Animoog audio fine.

However, I cannot hear any audio coming out of auria. When I switch the output of Audiobus to 'speaker' I can hear the input from audiobus, however then the Animoog doesn't hit the record track in auria.

Not sure if this has to do with using Auria as an addition input on audiobus, but I can only choose in or out for auria in audiobus, whichever one I choose first. Even if I quit, the second one I try to add is greyed out and not useable.

Otherwise, could it be that I have to use auria as the output and only through my interface, instead of monitoring through the iPad speakers or headphone jack?

Thanks for your help!

sleepingangel

Re: Can't hear output when Audiobus Recording

Post by sleepingangel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:31 am

trupro wrote:Great update and almost have it working, read other's posts and manual but I'm doing at least one thing wrong here...

Launched Audiobus, then launched Animoog as an input. Launched Auria as an Output, also from audiobus interface.
Set Auria input matrix to 1/2. Armed track I want to record to in Auria. I can see the levels jumping on the input track, catching the Animoog audio fine.

However, I cannot hear any audio coming out of auria. When I switch the output of Audiobus to 'speaker' I can hear the input from audiobus, however then the Animoog doesn't hit the record track in auria.

Not sure if this has to do with using Auria as an addition input on audiobus, but I can only choose in or out for auria in audiobus, whichever one I choose first. Even if I quit, the second one I try to add is greyed out and not useable.

Otherwise, could it be that I have to use auria as the output and only through my interface, instead of monitoring through the iPad speakers or headphone jack?

Thanks for your help!
The best way I can explain it is to tell you to watch my video I made specifically cause I figured it out but it was a pain,

http://discchord.com/blog/2013/1/25/tut ... imoog.html

Good luck. The key is settings: input matrix

Maria

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:05 am

Make sure you've selected the Audiobus tab in the input matrix, otherwise the input matrix only shows the Mic or USB inputs.

Rim

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 am

EDITZ:

Okay firstly, thanks to Maria for her very informative youtube vid, i will have to try these step by step...

-I think that she hit the nail on the head so far though, to paraphrase her vid:
"Here's a tip; when you switch back to Auria for playback after recording, you will hear nothing
unless you unarm the track you recorded to".

-Combined with the fact that i should launch the apps in the order Maria suggests, one of these may solve my issue.

Questions for Maria and Rim:
Do we know if the 'i cant hear unless i unarm' issue has anything to do with record monitoring?

I am interested in that and other settings. For instance, do you suggest Background Audio mode on or off, and record monitoring on or off?

Thanks again, cheers

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:25 pm

In Auria, like most DAWs, you won't hear anything from an input source unless a particular channel is record enabled. This is because until you record enable a channel, you'll hear the wav files/regions that are playing on that track. The rec enable button is what tells the DAW what you want to hear on that channel of the mixer: the track audio or the input (mic/USB or Audiobus).

Rim

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:38 pm

It is record enabled. It seems i must have record monitoring enabled (as you suggested in another thread), yet i am unable to monitor still.

This may have something to do with these other anomolies, regarding what is launched and from where, as i have learned in maria's video above. I'll have to try again, thanks folks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 pm

If you're trying to get Auria working with Grain Science, there's been a report that that doesn't work.

Rim

Dcramer
Expert

Post by Dcramer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 am

I've been able to get this to work by following Rim's instructions but I noticed that I was intermittently hearing my stereo record monitor in mono. It records in stereo, and I hear stereo on playback, but while recording it monitors in mono.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 am

That's odd. Has anyone else seen this?

Rim

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:13 am

Okay update on this...I have followed Maria's steps and Rim's advice, but still having crazy issues.

-Record Monitoring...@RIM: do i understand correctly, you said to not turn on Record Monitoring in settings?

I can finally get audio coming out of Animoog in Auria via Audiobus, however i have to put Record Monitor on. I can always see levels once a record track is armed, but i cannot hear it without Record Monitor turned on in Auria settings...is
that normal?

(just to confirm, yes i have Background App Audio turned OFF in Auria Settings and in the external app,
in this case Animoog).

-I am also getting a strange anomly where about 50% of the time when i try to use auria with audiobus, the onboard iPad mic is always active, no matter what i select on the input Matrix, whether im in Audiobus mode with switch in matrix turned on, doesnt matter. Sometimes even when a record track is not armed, i can even hear the mic. Very odd indeed.

-latency is huge still...about an 1/8th note at 140bpm, and makes tempo and playback speeds fluctuate wildly.

Thanks again as always for your help. Maria thanks again for the vids!

thanks again folks!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 am

Actually, you're right. Record monitor must be enabled, even for Audiobus. I was thinking of an earlier beta where this was not a requirement.

I'm not sure what might be causing your mic to become enabled, however I have observed that when the coreAudio system becomes overloaded (by stressing the CPU too much), sometimes the mic bleeds into the input audio. But this only occurs under heavy CPU load, and you'd hear bad distortion as well.

Rim

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Great thanks! Throughput now works, at least ive got the right settings down. I think i mite need an iPad4...i hve seen folks here getting good results with the unofficial combination of ipad2 running Auria and Audiobus, but i cant seem to even push one app thru the record buffer without a minimum of 1/16th note latency (at around 140bpm, thats quite a distance). Alas, this version not supported but thank you for helping to make sense of the general settings for me. I think i will, for noe at least, upgrade ro iOS 6x and see if the performance improves.

Thanks again, we love y guys and we <3 Auria!

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm experiencing a similar problem. I audiobussed jamup pro into auria for the first time today. The monitoring latency was quite noticeable and off-putting. Thinking that it may be jamup and audiobus, I used MT Daw as the output and the latency was considerably better and not an issue at all. 

I have an iPad 3 and have Audiobus using the faster buffer.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:56 pm

The buffer size setting in Auria's settings page won't have an affect when using Audiobus. But depending in which app you start first, you can have either 256 or 512. If you start Auria first, it'll be 512.

Rim

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:06 am

Thanks :) . So if I'm understanding correctly, I will fix the latency issue by starting Auria from Audiobus?