The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

natcl

Re: The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

Post by natcl » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:35 pm

I bought a Presonus Audiobox 22VSL last week and it worked great with a hub, I exchanged it today for a 44VSL and to my great surprise, it works without a hub ! (when connected to power obviously) I thought I would need both the power adapter and a hub. That makes it much more convenient !

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:27 am

The powered hub is only needed to power audio units that do not have their own built in power or wall wart and require their power from the iPad. So if it's core compliant and comes with a power supply then no powered hub is needed but if there is no power supply then yes a powered usb hub is needed. Good to hear that the 44vsl is working with Auria. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

Chris M
Expert

Post by Chris M » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm

This actually isn't accurate--some devices require a powered USB hub even if they are powered themselves. This is due to the device's firmware over-reporting the power needs to the iPad, and a powered hub in between the two solves this. In other words, a powered USB hub may still be necessary regardless of the power to the device.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 am

Chris M wrote:This actually isn't accurate--some devices require a powered USB hub even if they are powered themselves. This is due to the device's firmware over-reporting the power needs to the iPad, and a powered hub in between the two solves this. In other words, a powered USB hub may still be necessary regardless of the power to the device.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs
I stand corrected, thanks for clearing that up. I just haven't run into this senario yet but then again I've only tried a dozen interfaces with my iPad so there is probably more out there that need this extra power feature. Good work Chris.
Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 am

To further complicate the hub scenario, in most (perhaps all) cases where the interface is powered, the hub itself doesn't actually need to be powered, it simply needs to report that it's powered! In most cases, if a hub has the capability of being used with a power supply, it will report itself as powered whether it is plugged into the power supply or not.

I've had excellent success using a Belkin F4U020 hub with the Presonus 1818VSL this way.
Last edited by DavePDX on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starsky

Post by starsky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 works great with a powered hub.

I don't see someone actually state that yet on this thread - I know I read every corner of these posts a few months back before making my purchases. I use mine with a D-link 4 way hub, which, does the job but often ends up dangling off something or on the floor. Hopefully focusrite will update the 2i4 to not require the hub in future.

I was also considering the 2i2 and the itrack solo.
- The itrack solo will be of no use if you want two mics running eg double mic-ing a guitar cab, acoustic guitar, stereo etc
- The 2i2 I thought would not handle a condenser mic (requiring 48v) and dynamic (no phantom power required) as there is only one global '48v' switch - Focusrite Tech Support (v prompt reply...!) explained that the dynamic mic eg SM57 would reject the phantom power on the line but the 2i4's 'pad' option would help with headroom if the line was too hot..
Also, the 2i4 is more flexible overall I reckon with extra outputs, midi and has the input/playback knob for adjusting your monitor mix feed which alone is worth the little bit of extra cash

will
Expert

Post by will » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:18 am

Well I guess we can now say Apogee One, Duet and Quartet now work with Auria. :D

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:09 am

will wrote:Well I guess we can now say Apogee One, Duet and Quartet now work with Auria. :D
Great news as I have been a fan of Apogee products for years. Can't wait for all the Namm iPad Goodies.
Thanks you made my day with this new info. Nice that they charge your iPad now while recording.
~~_/)~~~

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 am

I wonder if these are new versions of the Apogee products or if existing versions will now work. Anybody know?

will
Expert

Post by will » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:20 am

mandodon wrote:I wonder if these are new versions of the Apogee products or if existing versions will now work. Anybody know?
I would imagine standard with maybe a firmware update and a new cable.
There would be too many angry apogee owners otherwise.
But its just me making assumptions!
Hopefully they will be quick in this. It might even "encourage" RME to get a mixer app (total mix) out for their stuff. That would make me happy. Although making the babyface standalone did that.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 am

Actually I hate to say this but they are different units and the Apogee Quartet and Duet now have a built in USB input for your midi Keyboard. The warning informing their customers that the older products will not work with the iPad is on their website in light grey type if you scroll down the product list. However that fact pointed out, they also say that the original Apogee One also doesn't work with the iPad and I have been using one for a couple of years on my iPad a CCK and a powered hub as have many other Auria users so maybe now with a newer firmware people who use the older models might just get them to work.
Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

will
Expert

Post by will » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:39 am

Anthony Alves wrote:Actually I hate to say this but they are different units and the Apogee Quartet and Duet now have a built in USB input for your midi Keyboard.
~~_/)~~~
Thanks Anthony for clearing that up, should have checked. LIGHT GREY TEXT...nice apogee, nice one. - I still can't find the text btw.
Well -
I hope for existing apogee users that there is a pathway. All will be revealed I guess.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:00 am

The Apogee Quartet is the only older device that can be upgraded to the new firmware that allows it to be used with the iPad acording to their website and today they made that statement in bright blue selectable text under FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS in the product list. They still claim that the older One, Duet2, I/O Symphony firewire cannot be used with the iPad. At least their being honest about it but I still think we will see a workaround this one.
Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

manfredloe

Post by manfredloe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:43 am

RME has updated the firmware for the UCX interface:

...RME extends the 8 channel CC mode of the UCX to all existing 18 channels by firmware 220/4. The UCX SPDIF and ADAT I/O can now also be used without limitations....

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_index.php

muzika61

Post by muzika61 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:31 am

We tested Auria with Behringer X32. on 16x16 I/O it works great. All stuff is quite new for us..so we need some more time in testing. For mixing we route the subgroups to stereo outputs. the only minor issue was, when you insert plugin during playback a short Dj ing occur. Very promising and of course..great Psp plugins.