Live performance

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mcansler

Live performance

Post by Mcansler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Anyone using Auria as a mixer in a live setting? I have a Alesis I/O dock and am planning to use it live for mixing, EQ and also for effects (mainly reverb on vocal and acoustic guitar). If this works, I plan to purchase a Presonus VSL 44 so I can have someone join me. Not sure if there is enough CPU to handle effects for four.

I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Marty

Phil999
Expert

Re: Live performance

Post by Phil999 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:50 pm

works well as an insert (two mono or stereo with iU2) to a desk. Or as a mixer if you input directly.

Scott O

Post by Scott O » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 am

I have an 1818vsl and was waiting for update v1.06 (with pre/post aux sends) to use as a monitor mix. I think it shows great promise and it still blows my mind when think of what we had to use back in the late 70's! :lol:

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 am

You want a live mixer where all the sounds go through an Apple 30 pin connector?? Brave man!!

Dominic

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 am

Whoah, 1.06 is getting Pre/post on aux sends?! My day was just made!

SSquared

Post by SSquared » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm

I am highly interested in live performance as well. I am wanting to remove my Mackie CR-1604 from my setup and use Auria with the Presonus 1818VSL. I have several hardware synths I use, in addition to some iPad synths/apps (Alchemy, iGrand, etc.). I am continually looking for ways to simplify my setup and pack lighter, and am hoping this option will work as a live mixer.

I don't necessarily need any effects, but will probably use the EQs on each channel. I have an iPad 4 so hopefully this can handle two 20 minute sets reliably.

Scott O

Post by Scott O » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:29 pm

dominicperry wrote:You want a live mixer where all the sounds go through an Apple 30 pin connector?? Brave man!!

Dominic
Not any braver than when you play guitar through a single wire. I have yet to see any piece of gear (hardware or software) that can give me an ironclad promise that it won't crap out in the middle of a gig. :)

It might not work at all, but the thing is you've got to give it a try, push it as far as it can go. That's the only way we grow. I'm sure there were lots of people that told Rim that Auria wouldn't work in the first place, but I'm glad he tried anyway!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 am

When I perform live I know I have an audience who paid to hear a good performance. I rely on my gear to accomplish that so I use gear I know well so as when something goes wrong Ihopefully can fix it fast, so I tend to use live gear for live performance. Now the iPad and Auria are very capable for this purpose and with the release of more and more mixers offerring iPad support I think it won't be long before iPads are in many live shows. But for now, when I record with Auria things can happen, like Auria just quit !!!. Just one of these live could blow the whole performance. There are live mixing boards available now that really streamline their wieght and size compared to the Mackie 1604 which is quite large for totays standards. As well they are much more affordable than the 1604 was. So I would suggest using the iPad and Auria sparingly in your live shows at first and then when Auria has had a year of pure stability then it will make a nice live board and very portable. I simply dont get a second chance live like I do in the studio where I just re-boot Auria and carry on. Hope this helps. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

SSquared

Post by SSquared » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks for the reply Anthony. That is great advice for anyone using the iPad live.

I absolutely will try it out at home first before using it live. I do use the iPad live already and always try things out at home first, then bring it into band practice. If it passes hours of my practice and band practice without crashing, I feel good. I had wanted to use SampleTank last year but it was too inconsistent and unreliable when I practiced at home, I never would use it live. But iGrand (same company) works great and I now use it live and practice with it all the time.

Mcansler

Post by Mcansler » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:58 am

Thanks for all the replies. I will take your suggestions and use this sparingly to get some experience. I will try this at an open mic this weekend. Seems like a lower risk option to gain some experience.

The most useful tool that interest me most is in-ear monitoring through the headphone out (reduces stage noise) and the ability to EQ prior to playing. I can record myself using Auria, play back the recording and "walk the room" to listen for final EQ. I can also discuss some EQ with the FOH guy and make some final adjustments.

Some locations I play require me to perform and be my own FOH person. This seems like the best option.

If you guys have any other options for my scenarios, I am open to suggestions!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 am

Mcansler wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I will take your suggestions and use this sparingly to get some experience. I will try this at an open mic this weekend. Seems like a lower risk option to gain some experience.

The most useful tool that interest me most is in-ear monitoring through the headphone out (reduces stage noise) and the ability to EQ prior to playing. I can record myself using Auria, play back the recording and "walk the room" to listen for final EQ. I can also discuss some EQ with the FOH guy and make some final adjustments.

Some locations I play require me to perform and be my own FOH person. This seems like the best option.

If you guys have any other options for my scenarios, I am open to suggestions!
Sounds great. Hope to hear some of your tracks soon. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~