ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

EkoCentrik

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by EkoCentrik » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 am

hi there..

I have a bunch of 24bit samples in Audioshare that I can only get into Auria by converting to 16bit and using Sonoma copy/paste (Sonoma won't let me copy a 24bit file to the pasteboard). Two questions relating to this:

1) Is there a way to get the samples in without needing to convert them to 16bit?

2) Does it even matter! ie, will my samples be degraded in any way by converting them to 16bit or will I not notice the difference?

Balloonatic

Post by Balloonatic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 pm

I am a newcomer to this product and can not believe how fantastic it is. Thanks to all the good people who put it together with its depth as it will change how I think about making and processing my music.

Here is my question I have some existing tracks from a recording session that I want to import. They are about 550 meg each and I have four tracks. I zipped them into a zip file that was about 1.75 gig. Then I imported them using iTunes in to Auria. ITunes shows they are in the Auria file but I can not see them when I go to the import audio. (They are aiff files 24 bit) What am I doing wrong or perhaps I have exceeded a limit in Auria.

Thanks much as I am at a stop work situation at present.

Loren
:(

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Loren,

Sounds like you're doing it right, and there is no limit in Auria in terms of size or number of files. Sometimes it takes a while for Auria to recognize the zip file and automatically unzip it. One thing to try is to close then reopen Auria (not force close, but just a single click of the home button). Once Auria has unzipped the file, you should see the new files in Import Audio.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 pm

EkoCentrik,

If you use iTunes File Sharing, or another app like iExplorer of iFunbox, you can transfer your files directly into Auria.

Rim

Balloonatic

Post by Balloonatic » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:57 am

Thanks for the information that Auria is not limited by size. That led me to look for a problem elswhere. I found that the software I used to convert the *.wav files to *.aif files put the extension of *.aiff on the files. When I changed to the correct extensions, it worked just like you said it would.

Thanks again Rim for a fantastastic piece of iOS software (DAW ecosystem). Now I am back up and runing again.

Loren
:oops: :D :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 am

Yes, that would do it ;)

Rim

jmage

Post by jmage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi,
First up, I have limited experience in the use of DAWs and even less experience understanding sound engineering terminology.

My problem is that I get horrible feedback when recording guitar into Auria using iRig as the interface and THM as an insert. Obviously the problem is worsened by using the plugin's distortion effects but the feedback happens even at low volume in the DAW. I am using Extreme Isolation headphones and I see no physical reason why there would be any spill from the headphones, especially given the low monitoring volume I mentioned above.

The process by which I set up a track for recording is basic: I arm the track and I set up the insert to include THM. Beyond this, I haven't a clue as to what is causing the problem. Can you please help?

Thank you
Sincerely

John

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 pm

John,

Welcome! The iRig, and any other headphone jack based interface will have this same issue. The problem happens because there's very little isolation between the mic and headphones signals in the iPad headphone jack. So the output signal bleeds into the input signal, causing feedback. It's especially noticeable in guitar apps because of the high gain they use. The only real solution is to switch to a USB/30pin/Lightning based interface like the Apogee Jam.

Rim

jmage

Post by jmage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi Rim, Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

I realise now that I gave the wrong information re-how I am interfacing with the iPad.

I actually changed over to the Apogee jam due to feedback problems wth the iRig which I sent back as defective :) I got the Apogee because it can be connected with the lightning connector and therefore be a whole lot less noisy.

However,I was using the Apogee yesterday evening when I noticed the feedback problem.

Given that I use the Apogee and still have issues with f/back, are there any other possibile cause within Auria?

Auria is a great app but, in my case, it requires a learning curve. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was something I'm doing or not doing. Any further suggestions as to the feedback problem would be most welcome.

Thank you again Rim

Br

John

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:11 pm

No problem. If you're still getting feedback with an Apogee Jam, the only possible explanation I can think of is that it's actually feeding back through your headphones. Does it go away when you turn the volume down?

Rim

jmage

Post by jmage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Yes, but I need to turn it down almost all the way for the feedback to stop. The feedback seems totally disproportionately loud compared to the guitar signal. As I mentioned earlier, I am using heavy duty extreme-isolation headphones - designed to stop loud headphone monitoring to be picked up by a mic.

Thanks Rim

I will experiment further and let you know what I discovered . Meanwhile, if you can think of other possible causes I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you for your help.
Regards
John

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi Any1
Is it possible to name/rename regions at all , if so how plz

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm

****Question about Fab Filter Pro-G filter?****
I posted this in the general forum, but have yet to get a response. I'm hoping I'll have better luck in here :).

I've bought all the other Fab Filter plugs, (Pro-C, L, Q, & DS, Timless 2), but am debating on whether or not to buy the Pro-G. Is it any better/different then the one provided by PSP included with Auria?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm

you can try out the demo plugin for Mac/Windows.

http://www.fabfilter.com/products

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 pm

fusionarts wrote:****Question about Fab Filter Pro-G filter?****
I posted this in the general forum, but have yet to get a response. I'm hoping I'll have better luck in here :).

I've bought all the other Fab Filter plugs, (Pro-C, L, Q, & DS, Timless 2), but am debating on whether or not to buy the Pro-G. Is it any better/different then the one provided by PSP included with Auria?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If you go to FabFilter.com and touch on video and see the full featured demo of the ProG by Dan Worral. After you see what it can do you'll likely buy it as I did. Actually if you can afford it buy them all there worth so so much more.
Cheers.
PS. I love this plugin as you can tell.