ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Rim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 pm

John,

Welcome! The iRig, and any other headphone jack based interface will have this same issue. The problem happens because there's very little isolation between the mic and headphones signals in the iPad headphone jack. So the output signal bleeds into the input signal, causing feedback. It's especially noticeable in guitar apps because of the high gain they use. The only real solution is to switch to a USB/30pin/Lightning based interface like the Apogee Jam.

Rim

jmage

Post by jmage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi Rim, Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

I realise now that I gave the wrong information re-how I am interfacing with the iPad.

I actually changed over to the Apogee jam due to feedback problems wth the iRig which I sent back as defective :) I got the Apogee because it can be connected with the lightning connector and therefore be a whole lot less noisy.

However,I was using the Apogee yesterday evening when I noticed the feedback problem.

Given that I use the Apogee and still have issues with f/back, are there any other possibile cause within Auria?

Auria is a great app but, in my case, it requires a learning curve. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was something I'm doing or not doing. Any further suggestions as to the feedback problem would be most welcome.

Thank you again Rim

Br

John

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:11 pm

No problem. If you're still getting feedback with an Apogee Jam, the only possible explanation I can think of is that it's actually feeding back through your headphones. Does it go away when you turn the volume down?

Rim

jmage

Post by jmage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Yes, but I need to turn it down almost all the way for the feedback to stop. The feedback seems totally disproportionately loud compared to the guitar signal. As I mentioned earlier, I am using heavy duty extreme-isolation headphones - designed to stop loud headphone monitoring to be picked up by a mic.

Thanks Rim

I will experiment further and let you know what I discovered . Meanwhile, if you can think of other possible causes I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you for your help.
Regards
John

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi Any1
Is it possible to name/rename regions at all , if so how plz

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm

****Question about Fab Filter Pro-G filter?****
I posted this in the general forum, but have yet to get a response. I'm hoping I'll have better luck in here :).

I've bought all the other Fab Filter plugs, (Pro-C, L, Q, & DS, Timless 2), but am debating on whether or not to buy the Pro-G. Is it any better/different then the one provided by PSP included with Auria?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm

you can try out the demo plugin for Mac/Windows.

http://www.fabfilter.com/products

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 pm

fusionarts wrote:****Question about Fab Filter Pro-G filter?****
I posted this in the general forum, but have yet to get a response. I'm hoping I'll have better luck in here :).

I've bought all the other Fab Filter plugs, (Pro-C, L, Q, & DS, Timless 2), but am debating on whether or not to buy the Pro-G. Is it any better/different then the one provided by PSP included with Auria?

If you go to FabFilter.com and touch on video and see the full featured demo of the ProG by Dan Worral. After you see what it can do you'll likely buy it as I did. Actually if you can afford it buy them all there worth so so much more.
Cheers.
PS. I love this plugin as you can tell.

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
fusionarts wrote:****Question about Fab Filter Pro-G filter?****

If you go to FabFilter.com and touch on video and see the full featured demo of the ProG by Dan Worral. After you see what it can do you'll likely buy it as I did. Actually if you can afford it buy them all there worth so so much more.
Cheers.
PS. I love this plugin as you can tell.
I went ahead, and bought the Pro-G. I love being able to visualize what's happening in the mix in real-time. Thanks for the advice Anthony.
Last edited by fusionarts on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 pm

No problem. That is the advantage of these plugins. Its nice to not only hear whats going on but to actually see the proccessing is really helpful in speeding up a mix and getting a proper setting. Glad your enjoying your new plugins as I am too.
Cheers bro,
~~_/)~~~

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:02 pm

As more experienced mixers and Artists I feel there is a need for us to help the staring mixer, producer and recording artist. I created Ask The Expert not only for nrewcomers to ask someone more seasoned in the world of DAW Recording advice, but also to give advice if the Experts notice a problem trend in the forum to leave some useful tips. I have noticed one critical area of a problem that keeps coming up in the forum and shows itself in many different forms but is still the same basic problem. That problem is Auria is more powerful than the iPad. Most of us got Auria because it seems to be a really cool, affordable, professional Daw for your ipad so why not use it like your MacPro with ProTools and so we purchased Auria for that reason. Now Im assuming we all understand that when you ask an iPad to perform like a $2500 mac and $1500 software ( with plugins from Fabfilter ) like ProTools, its not gonna happen but were really close and that is amazing and only thanks to the Wavemachine team of Devs that this miracle happened. Recording and Mastering on the iPad using Auria does work but will it give you the ram freedom or cpu freedom like your MacPro, No. Auria was developed at the time of the iPad 2 and at the time there were people who claimed it was impossible. Just go to the comments in youtube of the Namm show 2012 to see how many skeptics there were. But not one year later were now at an iPad 4 with possibly a 5 coming within week. Auria was truly ahead of its time but now the iPad has come within Auria thirst for power. However users still insist on more features, each requiring more power from the iPad. We know these developers can go all out and give us everything but there is a drawback to that as it makes the whole experience slow down giving us the feeling that were spending more time dealing with crashes and problems than creating good music. So its important that Auria users keep this in mind when pushing for more and more from their iPad. So how do we get around this, well likw a MacPro ProTools user does, you keep things under control. Its great to see all those pretty lights in your plugins goung off but thats not the bottom line. A great mix is what we are looking for and the fact that there is pretty lights is just a bonus. Its too easy to just star plugging FX in to see what it does to you music and if thats how you create well then great, but the best way for most artists who record acoustic, sampled, choir, live bands, duos and singles is to try to achieve your end result right from the start. Invision your mix and the mastered version already in your head. This will give you immediate direction and often you use less FX because you went for the sound you wanted from the start. If your particular iPad model needs special attention to memory and drive management then you must incorporate this into your mixing plans as well as mastering plans. Many ProTools users route the track being recorded and its FX to another track that records this. So you end up with a printed track that includes the FX. Why is this important? Because we add the FX to see if the project is headed in the direction we had in mind so we want that track to sound like its finished durring the recording process or mixdown. This is were you want to print the FX version and remove the plugins used to create the FX, delete the region and import you FX track back in tand your now listening to the FX'd track without using any plugin and your original unaffected track is still on file to bring up at anytime to add new or different FX. Its best to apply your plugins lightly so you dont overwhelm your mix with FX as the track count increases. So your probably saying how is this different than just simply freezing my tracks and why is this guy Anthony still talking? Well because this is a serious topic and will solve many problems Auria users especially iPad 2/3 users. When you Freeze a track in Auria the plugins are right there ready and waiting to be re-installed as soon as you unfreeze the track. Why is this a problem? Well if you go too far and apply one more plugin that The iPad cant handle it will close Auria. Now when you go to open the same project, the kind and the thoughtful Auria wants to take you back to where you left off but that again causes the iPad to shut down never allowing you to return. Access to this project is gone forever.ba souloution would be that Auria wouldnt allow the last plugin commant to take olace or returns the project back to atime when it wasnt crashing but thats not easy to impliment onto an app. Are you seing the connection now why you should peint your FX if you are going to use them during tracking. As well make a written note in your notepad the individual % that each plugin uses when all of the plugins features are activated. This gives you a reference that you can check on if your about to lay another plugin and the cpu meter says youve got 60% left but about to apply a ProDS oversampled that takes %59 leading to a possible crash that you may not be able to recover. Try to get your mixes right and the sound you want from the start. Use your plugins sparingly and make the most of each setting since sometimes we tend to leave the plugin too early and that further tweaking may have fixed the problem with just that one plugin.
We have almost everything in Auria thats needed tp produce great masters and with care and patience and most importantly an organized and informed worlflow, we can complete those projects with less stress and more creativity.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:27 pm

good advice. Some time ago I've been doing tracking and mixing on a netbook (1.6 GHz Atom CPU, 1 GB RAM) when I was not at home, with resource-hungry plugins (Samplemodeling) and about 15 tracks. You learn very quickly to bounce a recording once it's correct, to make 'room' for the next take. Leaving all MIDI intact (like in your example the unprocessed raw audio tracks) so that nothing gets lost.

With the iPad it's exactly the same. It's no problem to overload the iPad, even the latest model, if you stack plugins like on a regular DAW. You have to be clever to use the CPU and memory, but doing so it is possible to create surprisingly complex mixes. You may use all insert slots for a particular track, but empty them after a bounce. With this procedure you really have an equivalent to a regular DAW.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Phil999 wrote:good advice. Some time ago I've been doing tracking and mixing on a netbook (1.6 GHz Atom CPU, 1 GB RAM) when I was not at home, with resource-hungry plugins (Samplemodeling) and about 15 tracks. You learn very quickly to bounce a recording once it's correct, to make 'room' for the next take. Leaving all MIDI intact (like in your example the unprocessed raw audio tracks) so that nothing gets lost.

With the iPad it's exactly the same. It's no problem to overload the iPad, even the latest model, if you stack plugins like on a regular DAW. You have to be clever to use the CPU and memory, but doing so it is possible to create surprisingly complex mixes. You may use all insert slots for a particular track, but empty them after a bounce. With this procedure you really have an equivalent to a regular DAW.
Finally Ive started a real conversation that is going to help so many new Auria users and Im so glad people like yourself are willing to share those past experiences with us all. How wonderful it is to get a dialog thats real and to the point. Thanks Phil and please guve tips and recording experiences to everyone in here. Good on ya mate. Cheers.

~~_/)~~~

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:18 pm

indeed it is a pleasure, for me as well. But I'm active in several audio forums, and rarely really get the feeling my contributions do serve the purpose; there are principles in engineering, but no rules actually. For example, I dislike it when people just throw a multiband compressor on the master and say it's a finished mix. Or mastered. :?:

It's the result that counts. If it sounds right, it's good. Maybe it was done with a multiband compressor thrown at the master track. :) I just don't work that way, because I never had such tools available when I started mixing. It was really hard, you needed four or five hands at the console when you only got two. Now we have automation, great plugins, real-time processing power. You name it.

I'm very unsure in this matter. I work the old-fashioned way despite MIDI, OSC, automation, and modern plugins/DAW's. I also use tape. :roll: I can't change my habits that proved efficient in the earlier days. But as I see top producers advocating the modern workflow (even ITB), I must admit it may be the new way of doing mixes. Emulate expensive hardware, tweak some parameters, and you got that Phil Spencer mix in stereo.

Recently I watched a comedy, Josie And The Pussycats, and there was a machine that rendered the quick recording into a radio-compatible final mix with the turn of a few knobs. It's a comedy and persiflage of today's music industry, but not too far away from the current practice.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:This is were you want to print the FX version and remove the plugins used to create the FX, delete the region and import you FX track back in tand your now listening to the FX'd track without using any plugin and your original unaffected track is still on file to bring up at anytime to add new or different FX.
Is there not a danger that Auria's garbage collector will delete the original data because it's no longer in use?
When you Freeze a track in Auria the plugins are right there ready and waiting to be re-installed as soon as you unfreeze the track.
Perhaps what's needed is for Auria to unload plugins from frozen tracks, while remembering all the settings, so that the plugins can be reloaded and returned to their settings, if the track is unfrozen. Hang on! - isn't that what Auria does already?