ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:17 am

The mixdown options are: 16, 24 and 32 bit WAV and AIFF files, and MP3 files. The mixdown uses the same sample rate as your project rate, which can be 44.1, 48k or 96k.

Starting in v1.06, there are also two new options: stem mixdown (will mix each track down, using any effects and automation on that track), and M4A format.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Audiobus will be supported (probably in the next update). Auria will record whatever audiobus gives us when enabled, so if you're recording from a 24 bit app, it should record in 24 bits.

Rim

SmiteMatter

Post by SmiteMatter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:25 am

Rim wrote:Audiobus will be supported (probably in the next update). Auria will record whatever audiobus gives us when enabled, so if you're recording from a 24 bit app, it should record in 24 bits.

Rim
Just to make sure I'm not confused ;) and i often am. When you say Audiobus will be supported " probably in the next update", are you referring to 1.06? I didn't see it listed in the release thread detailing 1.06. Not trying to pressure, just curious. Thanks.

BTW PianoVerb is excellent!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 am

I really have no idea when Audiobus will be ready. It's still being implemented, and we're working with the Audiobus team to make it happen. They've had to rewrite sections of the code in order to support DAWs like Auria. I'm hoping for 1.06, but I really can't say for sure.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:43 am

Dave Magoo wrote:Are there any 24bit apps out at the moment ?
Yes, Auria.

Dominic

SmiteMatter

Post by SmiteMatter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Thank you Rim

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but its worth the wait if the delays are to make sure it all works right. Though, I am very eager to get to work with it and Auria. The iDAW without peer.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:59 am

Dave Magoo wrote:Ha,

Nice one.....are there any known soft synths on iPad that are 24bit that would be good to bus into Auria once it updates with Audiobus support ?
I'm still not sure it matters at all. There's nothing wrong with a 16 bit synth going into a 24 bit DAW. I challenge you to need more than ~95 dB dynamic range when you're using a soft synth.

Dominic

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Dave,

That article does a good job of explaining the playback process and is technically accurate, but doesn't help much with the recording side of things.

When you have the unpredictability of live sounds in audio recording, the wider dynamic range of 24 bit conversion allows you to make a bigger 'mistake' with level settings before you clip the input. In other words, because a sound hitting the digital 'brick wall' of 0dBfs is a horrible noise, you can record at a lower average level with 24 bit and still capture everything. (This all assumes that your mic pres and indeed your A/D conversion behave in a linear fashion and don't sound considerably worse at a lower recording level).
But generally, a soft synth will have absolutely no noise floor at all, and most of the time it's playing, the differences between quiet and loud (even within, say, a single piano note attack and decay) will be well within 16 bits of resolution.
Auria will simply dispose of the 8 bits of 'nothingness' at the bottom of the signal and all should be well.

In a similar way, a general tendency to aim for higher sampling rates (96 or 88.2 KHz) as opposed to 44.1 or 48KHz is usually missing the point. Better A/D and D/A converters tend to send good at whatever rate you use them at, and rubbish ones sound rubbish, whatever you set them at. But that's a different discussion.

Dominic

EkoCentrik

Post by EkoCentrik » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 am

hi there..

I have a bunch of 24bit samples in Audioshare that I can only get into Auria by converting to 16bit and using Sonoma copy/paste (Sonoma won't let me copy a 24bit file to the pasteboard). Two questions relating to this:

1) Is there a way to get the samples in without needing to convert them to 16bit?

2) Does it even matter! ie, will my samples be degraded in any way by converting them to 16bit or will I not notice the difference?

Balloonatic

Post by Balloonatic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 pm

I am a newcomer to this product and can not believe how fantastic it is. Thanks to all the good people who put it together with its depth as it will change how I think about making and processing my music.

Here is my question I have some existing tracks from a recording session that I want to import. They are about 550 meg each and I have four tracks. I zipped them into a zip file that was about 1.75 gig. Then I imported them using iTunes in to Auria. ITunes shows they are in the Auria file but I can not see them when I go to the import audio. (They are aiff files 24 bit) What am I doing wrong or perhaps I have exceeded a limit in Auria.

Thanks much as I am at a stop work situation at present.

Loren
:(

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Loren,

Sounds like you're doing it right, and there is no limit in Auria in terms of size or number of files. Sometimes it takes a while for Auria to recognize the zip file and automatically unzip it. One thing to try is to close then reopen Auria (not force close, but just a single click of the home button). Once Auria has unzipped the file, you should see the new files in Import Audio.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 pm

EkoCentrik,

If you use iTunes File Sharing, or another app like iExplorer of iFunbox, you can transfer your files directly into Auria.

Rim

Balloonatic

Post by Balloonatic » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:57 am

Thanks for the information that Auria is not limited by size. That led me to look for a problem elswhere. I found that the software I used to convert the *.wav files to *.aif files put the extension of *.aiff on the files. When I changed to the correct extensions, it worked just like you said it would.

Thanks again Rim for a fantastastic piece of iOS software (DAW ecosystem). Now I am back up and runing again.

Loren
:oops: :D :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 am

Yes, that would do it ;)

Rim

jmage

Post by jmage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi,
First up, I have limited experience in the use of DAWs and even less experience understanding sound engineering terminology.

My problem is that I get horrible feedback when recording guitar into Auria using iRig as the interface and THM as an insert. Obviously the problem is worsened by using the plugin's distortion effects but the feedback happens even at low volume in the DAW. I am using Extreme Isolation headphones and I see no physical reason why there would be any spill from the headphones, especially given the low monitoring volume I mentioned above.

The process by which I set up a track for recording is basic: I arm the track and I set up the insert to include THM. Beyond this, I haven't a clue as to what is causing the problem. Can you please help?

Thank you
Sincerely

John