Starting Volume Question

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

PaulJager

Starting Volume Question

Post by PaulJager » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Just bought the app and its great fun using.

However could I ask for guidance regarding recording volume!

Using other 'recording' apps, a voice recording is loud and strong on my ipad (even without a microphone). Using Auria, a voice recording is quiet. I'm sure I am missing a control some where. Have played around with gain but not sure what level this should be at the start. Any help appreciate.

Paul Jager

Penguino

Re: Starting Volume Question

Post by Penguino » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Do you use a sound card or sound interface ?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:47 pm

PaulJager wrote:Just bought the app and its great fun using.

However could I ask for guidance regarding recording volume!

Using other 'recording' apps, a voice recording is loud and strong on my ipad (even without a microphone). Using Auria, a voice recording is quiet. I'm sure I am missing a control some where. Have played around with gain but not sure what level this should be at the start. Any help appreciate.

Paul Jager
Hi, Paul.
I too have discovered this in Auria since its first release. I compared it to simply pluging my studio mic into GarageBand and Daw Multitrack and found that I got a nice clear vocal with good monitoring in the headphone mix but with Auria that was hard to achieve. It's not that Auria records low because it is possible to get a hot level into Auria but with some setting up. I put all the tracks on a single buss except for the track I'm laying down. I simply set the buss level down and my input mic set to a good level but not red but hotter than the buss mix. Then I raise my headphone level on my audio box to taste but not too loud so to minimize any bleed through from the other tracks into my vocal track. I even sometimes record my vocals in GarageBand then export them into Auria unFX'd for mixing. Maybe others have noticed this as well here but haven't mentioned it so I don't think your alone with this one.

meltdown

Post by meltdown » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:25 pm

There is a gain option in Auria.
Tap and hold the record button at the top of each mixer channel.
You get a small window with the option to set the record level.