Merged stereo channels in Scarlett 18i6's phones output

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

robegian

Merged stereo channels in Scarlett 18i6's phones output

Post by robegian » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello, I've just bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 to use it with Auria and, although it is regularly recognized and works beautifully in multi-channel recordings, when I listen through the headphones plugged into the Scarlett 18i6's headphones output, the two stereo channels are merged (I basically hear the two output channels panned in center position). This happens also when listening to the "The Approach" demo project. If I unplug the Scarlett 18i6 and I listen through the iPad's minijack output, instead, the stereo channels are correctly separated (left and right).

I'm probably overlooking something. Any advice to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. This happens only when I use the Scarlett 18i6 with the iPad — when I use it with a computer, the headphones output behaves regularly.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Merged stereo channels in Scarlett 18i6's phones output

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:56 pm

It's possible that your interfaces built-in mixer is configured to output mono from the headphone jack. Run the mixcontrol software and check this.

Another possibility is Auria's output matrix. Go there while the interface is plugged in, and make sure no subgroups or auxes are going to your outputs. Maybe you have two things set to output on the same output?

Rim

robegian

Re: Merged stereo channels in Scarlett 18i6's phones output

Post by robegian » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:28 am

Thanks for the prompt response. I solved by opening the Scarlett's iPad DAW Tracking preset in the Scarlett MixControl application, which configured the routing appropriately.

In case someone will face the same problem, I attach two pictures which may be of some help: the first shows the setup causing the problem, the second the flawlessly working one.