Drag edge of region request

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

Drag edge of region request

Post by mtingle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Each region has areas at their edges that can be dragged to either create a fade or change its length depending on where on the edge you touch your finger - except when the track height is small where it is only possible to select a fade. Could this default behaviour be changed for when track height is small so that region length is still available and fade not?

It's just that I'm much more likely to want to change a regions length when zoomed out than change its fade, would make editing flow that little be better as one of the main reasons I have to zoom in is solely to access the change length handle of a region.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Drag edge of region request

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Sure, I'll look into that.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:27 pm

I played around with this a bit. Right now, I don't impose any limits of the size vs. the type of handle that's being grabbed. When it's less than a certain size, both handles disappear, and you can only drag the region. As it gets larger, both arrows appear, so you can do either a fade or a trim. I'm not sure I want to limit this to trims only at a certain size, because it's still possible to adjust both (if you have very small fingers ;)

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 pm

edited post as more information came to hand (see below)
Last edited by mtingle on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:55 pm

ok update:

After further experimentation there might not be any need to change the default behaviour as there appears to be a bug.

Here is what I do:
-expand the vertical height of a region to be as small as possible and still displays the trim handles in the corners.
-place finger on the trim handle and it selects the fade instead

now, expand the vertical height some more and select the trim handle and you'll find you can do it.

I think this is the source of the issue I'm experiencing.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:10 pm

I have tried this, and for me, I'm able to select both handles, even at the smallest size that displays both arrows. I think I might have smaller hands than you ;) Maybe it's a matter of simply making the arrows disappear earlier.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Rim wrote:I have tried this, and for me, I'm able to select both handles, even at the smallest size that displays both arrows. I think I might have smaller hands than you ;) Maybe it's a matter of simply making the arrows disappear earlier.

Rim
At the lowest size that shows the handles its definitely not weighted evenly between the 2 functions. I'll make a little vid to show you whats happen for me.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 pm

http://youtu.be/7zhS5Hhaooc

this clearly shows I'm touching the lower portion of each clip and yet the fade function is selected. On very rare occasions it does select the trim, but more often than not it is how it is shown in this vid.

I'd like to think my fingers are normal sized ;)

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:16 pm

I just tested this, and the problem mtingle describes happens for me only when more than 11 tracks are displayed onscreen. It works perfectly up to that point.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:36 pm

OK, now I'm seeing it. Thanks for the extra info. I'll look at how to best fix this.

Thanks,
Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks Rim.

Auria is amazing and such a joy to work with and these little things really do make a difference.