ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:57 pm

If you're still getting a crash every time you restart Auria, it's possible you don't have the latest version (1.04). You can check this by opening the settings page. The version number is at the bottom right. I fixed the fake crash report bug in 1.04.

Rim

Rossf

Post by Rossf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:21 am

I want to use an spring reverb on real synths and drum machines but process the sound before it hits the reverb to change the dynamics to hopefully tone down the "sproing" of the springs when a percussive sound hits it. Obviously need to route the synth or drum sound to a sound card output to get to the reverb but what are the possible ways to process that sound before it hits the spring reverb unit? Or any other ideas?
Cheers ross

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:01 am

If you've got real synths and a real spring reverb I would use a real compressor or limiter between them.

Not sure how this question relates to Auria - have I misunderstood something?

Dominic

Rossf

Post by Rossf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:19 pm

I don't have any other hardware gear apart from the synth and spring reverb-I didn't know how it should be processed-so a compressor or a limiter?-so is there a way to use the multiple out function to have the already recorded synth part go through a software compressor or limiter in auria,out through the output of sound card and into the spring reverb and back into auria through sound card imput so I have a clean version amd a reverb version?
Cheers sorry for the confusion!

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:44 am

It depends what interface you have, but you can record the synth as it stands into Auria, then put a compressor on the track.
If you want a limiter too, then that's on the Master channel FX.
Then play that out of Auria into the spring reverb and record the output of the reverb into Auria.

You now have two tracks
- track 1 with the dry synth on it - compressed, (but you can turn the compressor off now if you want, and the limiter on the Master track)
- track 2 with the reverb on it.

Mix the volumes of the two to taste.

Dominic

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:29 pm

As an audio engineer that studied the techniques of the old days I would like to share a method of using FREQUENCY SPECIFIC COMPRESSION ANF EQ much known today in the plugin world as a MULTIBAND COMPRESSOR.
YWith the Pro Q plugin in Auria this becomes ever so easy.

Simply copy the track to another track.
Use the ProQ to set a LOW CUT & HIGH CUT
Then move these two around till you have zoned into the frequency your trying to compress.
Now choose your favourite Auria compressor and compress to taste
You may even EQ this frequency some more but it's best to do that after hearing it first in the mix as it may sound fine
Then in your mixer simply raise the newly compressed frequency into the mix till you find the right ballance.

You can be so surgical with this technique that your MULTIBAND bompressor can in a spence be as many band as you like.

Cheers this is my Christmas tip to all Auria users.
Merry Christmas.

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:59 am

Rookie question: When using Retune (or any other aux send effect), how can I get a fully 'wet' signal and not have any of the original sound?

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Rookie question 2: am setting Auria tempo in 'settings', then pasting audio from other apps at the same tempo. The Auria metronome clicks in time with the pasted regions but they don't sit within the visual bar measurements (?). Is this a copy / paste bit rate issue?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Don,

To get only the wet signal from ReTune, just set the wet slider to 0dB and the dry slider all the way down ( I'm referring to the sliders inside ReTune). Or, you can just press the M under the dry fader in ReTune.

As far as your question about the visual tick marks vs the metronome, they should be the same, but there's a bug that I just fixed that causes a discrepancy between the two if you're using time signatures other than 4/4. Maybe that's the problem.

Rim

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Many thanks. First answer, I will try ASAP. Second answer, using straight 4/4...just experimentIng, as new to the application. Maybe I should just do a re-start :)

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Here's a pic of an 80bpm sample from DM1 in an 80bpm Auria session. https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5pwp9a8ctzav ... 3%2057.png

Just to clarify, metronome runs in time with sample.

I hope I'm missing something really obvious!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:20 pm

OK, thanks. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for in that picture. You should probably set your time format in Auria to Bars and Beats.

Rim

donratto
Expert

Post by donratto » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:53 am

Oh dear, a bit embarrassing that :)

Thanks Rim.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 pm

Is there a way to use the compression in Auria while you're recording? Instead of using a whole other piece of hardware. This would be great for drums. Thanks!

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:05 pm

I'm an idiot and the answer is yes. I keep referencing this page (http://blog.auriaapp.com/page/2/) which is a huge help to me, thanks again. :D