Here comes the competition: Cubasis

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

virul3nt

Re: Here comes the competition: Cubasis

Post by virul3nt » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:20 pm

The MIDI functionality of Cubasis is a major plus in terms of using your iPad as a songwriting tool with soft instruments within the single DAW (as opposed to just a multitrack tape recorder). However Auria has a couple of plusses over Cubasis, namely video import (maybe there are only a few of us who care about this!), 3rd party plugin support, and I cannot find any word as to whether Cubasis does or will support multi-route audio and/or Audiobus.

Interesting times :)

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:22 pm

I bet Rim has already downloaded it and had a little play with himself With it :lol:

Maybe be able to pinch some ideas from it too ,thats if it's anywhere as near as good as Auria 8) 8) 8)

baronluigi

Post by baronluigi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Cubasis is 16 bit 44.1 only from what I read on their site. I'm not into midi so for me Auria rocks. I can also say from my experience Auria has way superior support too!

Perhaps Yamaha/steinberg will bring out a high end interface, or maybe the likes of apogee or even more high end companies.

My dream would be a UAD-iPad version with killer converters that would work with Auria.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:51 pm

no automation,no competition :wink:

Cubasis eats the dusk after auria got the Midi update.Oh,and the virtual instruments of course :)

Anyway,i really like the look.But right now theres nothing that' will keep me away from auria and beatmaker.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:01 pm

I got it right away because I got my earliest Daw experience with Cubase and always loved it. They don't have audiobus yet but they will and as an audiobus expansion to Auria the price was well worth it. After all I now pay that for 2 plugins in Auria and what you get from Cubase as a midi sequencer with Cubase instruments and Loops and samoles galore More than 500 and all sound great. We all use other apps right now so to me it's just another plugin but don't ever take my Auria away cause Nothing can replace it. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:45 am

This doesn't even have a proper EQ, only a really basic treble and bas control apparently. I'm guessing the other effects are of the same "high" caliber too. But as said above, it might make a good sound source before processing it in Auria. Looks like this will be competing more with Xewton Music Studio/FL Studio rather then Auria.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 am

baronluigi wrote:Cubasis is 16 bit 44.1 only from what I read on their site. I'm not into midi so for me Auria rocks. I can also say from my experience Auria has way superior support too!

Perhaps Yamaha/steinberg will bring out a high end interface, or maybe the likes of apogee or even more high end companies.

My dream would be a UAD-iPad version with killer converters that would work with Auria.
You can already use the Apogee One with the iPad, as long as you use a powered hub. You can also use the Apogee iMic and Apogee Jam.

There are plenty of ways of getting 'killer convertors' into Auria. As an example, an RME Babyface has ADAT in/out. Plug your $3000 pre into your $3000 A/D convertors and take the ADAT output, (at 24/96 if you want) into the Babyface. Auria supports 24/96. Take the output on ADAT to your $3000 D/A and plug into your $10000 reference monitors. :mrgreen:

Dominic
Last edited by dominicperry on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:07 am

CEIsar wrote:no automation,no competition :wink:

Cubasis eats the dusk after auria got the Midi update.Oh,and the virtual instruments of course :)

Anyway,i really like the look.But right now theres nothing that' will keep me away from auria and beatmaker.
I agree, Automation is the feature which lifts Auria to a level with a PC/Mac DAW. If another post is to be believed, one of the PSP plugs doesn't support automation. If that's true, in my opinion it's a glaring error. It should be part of the plug-in spec for developers that every (or almost every) parameter on a plug-in should be automatable. Get the structural framework of Auria right, so it supports this and then insist that plug-in developers comply.

Dominic

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:13 am

Worth remembering that the convenience of swapping sessions between Cubase and Cubasis will win a lot of users.

A major inconvenience of Auria is the lack of formats for interchange with anything other than AAF. Aiming at the ProTools user base might be smart or it might be wide of the mark. I suggest something which works with Reaper too - that way you've got a good, cheap, multi-platform option. Most users won't go and buy ProTools just to exchange sessions with Auria, but they might stump up $60 to get seamless interchange with Reaper. And you can download it for free.

This is a tricky one, as applications like AATranslator are an industry in themselves, but some better, more generic file exchange mechanism would be welcome.

Dominic

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 am

'CD quality audio' = 16 bit ==> Not professional.

At least for what I look for as a fundamental requirement of a DAW.

From the video clip Cubasis looked clunky, not sure if that was the video frame rate or whether it was the way it was coded. The fact that Rim used machine code means we're guaranteed a very efficient app with Auria and that'll be hard to equal by other developers.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:49 am

FYI, all plugins in Auria support automation. Not sure which one you found didn't, but if so, let me know.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 am

mtingle wrote:'CD quality audio' = 16 bit ==> Not professional.

From the video clip Cubasis looked clunky, not sure if that was the video frame rate or whether it was the way it was coded. The fact that Rim used machine code means we're guaranteed a very efficient app with Auria and that'll be hard to equal by other developers.
Plenty of very good music has been made with 16 bit converters. You need more skill to get your gain staging right with only 16 bits to play with, but it can be done. I do agree that it seems like an unnecessary limitation and a poor design choice.

Dominic

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 am

Rim wrote:FYI, all plugins in Auria support automation. Not sure which one you found didn't, but if so, let me know.

Rim
Thanks Rim. You found the other thread already, I see. Glad that Auria does support plugin automation.

Dominic

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:01 am

dominicperry wrote:
mtingle wrote:'CD quality audio' = 16 bit ==> Not professional.

Plenty of very good music has been made with 16 bit converters. You need more skill to get your gain staging right with only 16 bits to play with, but it can be done. I do agree that it seems like an unnecessary limitation and a poor design choice.

Dominic
There are a few that prefer 16bit but the vast majority of engineers and studio owners will not consider stepping back to a 1980's technology format.

Saying that, I produced a rather magnificent effort using nanostudio last year which is 16bit. But I wouldn't use it for recording clients.