Audiobus support ?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

funkymonkey

Audiobus support ?

Post by funkymonkey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:16 am

Audiobus released today
http://audiob.us/

Will auria support audiobus in the future updates ?

cheers

ChrisG
Expert

Re: Audiobus support ?

Post by ChrisG » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:46 am

Yes. Rim promised it would make the Christmas Eve release!

(Nah they are working on it tho)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 am

;) funny. No promises, but I'm working on it...

Thanks,
Rim

Rhod

Post by Rhod » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I too am anxious for Audiobus support and that is one of the main reasons I bought Auria, an excellent app! Will the audiobus support update be a free update? I'm really hoping so since every other music app seems to be implementing it in a free update and it seems like an emerging standard. Thanks!

AldGra

Post by AldGra » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:57 pm

If idiots (like me :roll: ) stop distracting Rim with problems, I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:22 pm

I guess it will take some time until the real fun starts. At the moment I have only a few apps that support Audiobus, but I have no doubt it will change the way we use iPads.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Yes, it'll be a free update.

Rim

Ringleader

Post by Ringleader » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:49 pm

One day in with Audiobus and absolutely loving it. But a question, will the Auria Audiobus support upgrade include some way to sync tempos with other apps (midi clock?). It's is one thing I'm still not clear on how to do.

ETW

Post by ETW » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 pm

First- Auria is the best designed iOS DAW ever! In a class by itself , a league of it's own.

Second- Auria NEEDS Audiobus as it is the best designed a most paradigm shifting iOS music app thus far and by far!

Third- I understand that Auria/Audiobus compatibility is on the way but...... I am concerned that Audiobus could be perceived as a threat to the business model of the Auria " Store" as it ostensibly circumvents Wavemachine Labs exclusive market for 3rd party plugins available within the Auria signal chain.

Fourth - If point three is in fact a concern then have a stiff drink and move quickly toward Audiobus linkage regardless. You are an island ( albeit a beautiful one) in what has become essentialy overnight- a sea of sound systems. Don't dawdle here. Buck up little soldier and become the prime destination for the output of these audio voyagers.

LOVELOVELOVE

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:22 am

There's no threat whatsoever here. AudioBus development in Auria is well under way. Once you purchase Auria (or an in-app plugin), we don't care how you use it :) AudioBus opens up an entirely new way to use Auria, and we welcome that!

Rim

jfu222

Post by jfu222 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:52 am

ETW wrote:First- Auria is the best designed iOS DAW ever! In a class by itself , a league of it's own.

Second- Auria NEEDS Audiobus as it is the best designed a most paradigm shifting iOS music app thus far and by far!

Third- I understand that Auria/Audiobus compatibility is on the way but...... I am concerned that Audiobus could be perceived as a threat to the business model of the Auria " Store" as it ostensibly circumvents Wavemachine Labs exclusive market for 3rd party plugins available within the Auria signal chain.

Fourth - If point three is in fact a concern then have a stiff drink and move quickly toward Audiobus linkage regardless. You are an island ( albeit a beautiful one) in what has become essentialy overnight- a sea of sound systems. Don't dawdle here. Buck up little soldier and become the prime destination for the output of these audio voyagers.

LOVELOVELOVE
There will still be a thriving business model for Auria plug ins ETW. Remember audiobus is a two way street. Plug ins that are proprietary to Auria will then be usable with all other Audiobus apps. So if Auria has a sick plug you can only get via IAP then I'm sure people will still buy it ... maybe more so because they will then be able to use that plug with thumbjam, magellian ... etc.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:21 am

Keep in mind that using AudioBus with Auria can create some resource challenges. For example, running Auria plus another app on an iPad 1 or 2 could present memory problems if you're not careful. Also, AudioBus requires a low buffer size (256 samples in most cases). This will cause Auria to increase it's CPU usage (similar to when you're recording in Auria).

Rim

ETW

Post by ETW » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:05 am

Howdy jfu222 & Rim

2 things.

1. I've noticed that JamUp Pro is now a Auria store plugin, but as I already own it as an iOS plugin app it introduces the question as to how Audiobus and Auria's plugins will play.

jfu222 writes:

"Plug ins that are proprietary to Auria will then be usable with all other Audiobus apps. So if Auria has a sick plug you can only get via IAP then I'm sure people will still buy it ... maybe more so because they will then be able to use that plug with thumbjam, magellian ... etc."

Is this a given? Can you Rim confirm that my Auria' s in app purchased plugins will be processed and available between apps?

2. Rim. Are the CPU demands you reference ones that Wavemachine Labs has experienced through testing with Audiobus or just general cautionary reminders?

Thanks very much
LOVELOVELOVE

ETWILSON

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:57 am

Apple prevents us (and all developers) from making an in-app purchase item free based on certain criteria. For example, we can't allow users who already own the JamUp app to get a free download of Jam Up for Auria. I wish they had a system for doing that, but it simply doesn't exist.

The AudioBus implementation in Auria will allow you to send audio from Auria to another AudioBus enabled app, and also receive audio from another app. So in theory, using AudioBus, you can use Auria as a "plug-in host" if you wanted to.

In terms of CPU constraints, Auria uses a very large playback buffer (4096). When you record in Auria, the buffer size goes down to whatever you set it to in the settings (usually 256 samples). Lower buffer sizes result in greater CPU usage, so a project that had a low CPU usage (say 40%) might jump up to 70% when you lower the buffer size. This is already how Auria works. When using AudioBus, the buffer must remain at a low size (typically 256), so using AudioBus with Auria will result in greater CPU usage (similar to what you're already used to when doing recording in Auria).

Additionally, the convolution reverb will be unavailable when using AudioBus, because the convolution reverb doesn't work at lower buffer sizes (this is already the case right now, as the convolution reverb gets automatically disabled when recording in Auria).

So none of this is really new. Auria already works exactly like this when recording, so to get a feel for how Auria will work when using AudioBus, just record enable a track using a 256-sample latency.

Rim

Keeperz

Post by Keeperz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:59 pm

First of all I wanna say...excellent application ty Rim!

My question is of course open for any member to discuss, as I am purchasing an ipad4 and I need to know the cpu difference as compared to the ipad2?

I know someone here has maxed auria on plugs etc on both these units, and i need a better view as to what I am getting into.

i am going to be using a lexicon omega via lightning to usb adapter

Also, i am so used to using the alesis io dock and it charging my ipad while i do music, that i wonder if this is possible thru a splitter or etc?