Anyone tried the Tascam iu2?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

supanorton
Expert

Anyone tried the Tascam iu2?

Post by supanorton » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:40 am

Does anyone know anything about this interface? The reviews I've read are mixed and taken with a grain of salt. I'm a singer/songwriter recording one track at a time. Recommendations? I'm looking for a clean signal for condenser and dynamic mics. I'm only micing vocals and acoustic guitar, everything else is app based. Thanks.

http://tascam.com/product/iu2/

timmyg
Expert

Re: Anyone tried the Tascam iu2?

Post by timmyg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi,

Just stumbled upon your post and thought id let you know my experiences. I'm doing exactly the same as you: one track at a time recording, acoustic guitars & vocals using a condensor mic.

I've spent loads of time recording electric guitars on the iu2 since buying it 6 months ago with lots of success until a few days ago i used the mic inputs for the first time...it is a complete disaster: i have to turn the input level up so high that it adds stupid amounts of hiss to a really quiet recording.

I was wondering did you get an iu2 and experience similar problems? Also, im thinking now of getting the focusrite itrack solo as it looks perfect for my and probably your needs. If you didn't get one...don't!

Regards,
Tim
:D

sealpt
Expert

Post by sealpt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:13 pm

I agree, not the best interface. I am using the Apogee Jam and is really clean and stable.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:36 pm

timmyg wrote:a few days ago i used the mic inputs for the first time...
like a forum member mentioned in another thread, it's probably only a switch or two at the bottom of the iU2 that needs to be set correctly. For dynamic mics set the input to 'mic', and for condenser mics switch on phantom power and supply the iU2 with USB power (iPad PSU).

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:23 am

I passed on the iu2 and wound up buying a Focusrite 2i2, which works great with condenser and dynamic mics and electric guitars inside Auria. I also have an Apogee Jam that I use for electric guitars in stand alone apps. I've gotten some great electric guitar sounds with the THM plugin and the 2i2 inside Auria, but the Jam works better with all guitar apps outside of Auria as the 2i2 has clipping issues with the stand alone guitar apps. If I had it to do over, I'd have waited for the Focusrite 2i4, which has a pad for hot guitar signals. I didn't get the iTrack Solo because I wanted 24 bit capability and I like the 2i2's monitoring capabilities (no latency to speak of with direct monitoring through headphones or speakers, and it sounds fantastic when mixing and mastering). The 2i4 is about $200 with the pad and a midi in as well. I've read elsewhere that the iTrack Solo doesn't work with AmpKit, AmpliTube, or JamUp Pro because the iTrack Solo uses the second input for instruments, and those apps don't currently recognize the second input on interfaces.

With the 2i2, the Jam, and an iRig midi, I'm covered for now, but one interface for everything would be a bit easier. The 2i4 might be the deal.

I'd be interested in hearing what you decide to do and if you're happy with it.

By the way, the Jam works very well with dynamic mics and this adapter:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062443

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 am

Thats great advice, thanks. Just a couple of things:

does the focusrite 2i2 and itrack solo work ok with the electric guitar amps in garageband? Also i cant see anywhere on the focusrite website that the 2i2 works with the ipad. Im sure it does but just dont want to have to buy another bad interface!

Cheers

Ps. What does the 'pad' button do on the 2i2?

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 am

remember that you always have to set your input levels right. That's the job of the sound engineer, and that is you. :) Set it below 0dB to leave some room for spikes, or insert a limiter.

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:02 am

Phil,

The point is that I cannot set the input levels right when using the iu2 and a phantom powered condensor mic (connected with usb power) as I can't get a decent enough signal in the first place. Do you have an iu2? If so, I'd like to know if you are experiecing the same problems as me, if not mine must be faulty.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:17 am

did you follow the advices above? Besides, it's all in the printed manual. In case you don't have it anymore, you can download a pdf from the Tascam website. If your settings are all correct and the problem is reproducible, call Tascam technical support.

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:19 am

Yep...settings are all correct, awaiting mail back from Tascam.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 am

oh, that is unfortunate (for two reasons). Does the 48V-LED light up when you activate phantom power? If not, then the switch could be the culprit. Also remember to connect the mic first and enable the switch after (that's one should do anyway with condenser mics), and have the iU2 powered by the iPad PSU (power symbol on iPad must show a plug). And of course check the mic and cable on a regular mixer.

If all this doesn't help, then I can only wish you good luck with the Tascam technical support. I wrote three times to them and never got a reply.

Hope everything turns out good for you, and you can continue with music recording. It's quite a decent interface, this iU2, I made many good quality recordings with it (Neumann condenser, several dynamic mics, Line signals) and also used it as dual mono insert in a mixer. If it works. That's the odd thing, sometimes I have to try many times until I get audio in- and output, or undistorted signals (iPad2).

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:44 am

Thanks Phil. Yes I've tried your procedure and a load of other combinations before start up but with no success...tried it again last night. I am getting the 48v red light, the 'lightning bolt' charging symbol on the iPad (iPad 2 by the way) and a minimal audio signal on 3/4 of the input dial. I've decided i'll try to persue a refund at this stage and go for the iTack Solo as the preamps sound good and the build quality looks excellent...just no midi which is a shame but i'm mainly guitars & vocals anyway.

This is doubly a pain as I was one of those people who had the 'hiss' problems with the Alesis iodock and that didn't get resolved for months!

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:51 pm

timmyg wrote:Thats great advice, thanks. Just a couple of things:

does the focusrite 2i2 and itrack solo work ok with the electric guitar amps in garageband? Also i cant see anywhere on the focusrite website that the 2i2 works with the ipad. Im sure it does but just dont want to have to buy another bad interface!

Cheers

Ps. What does the 'pad' button do on the 2i2?
The 2i2 definitely works with iPad 2, Auria, and with the amp sims in GarageBand. I recorded some electric guitar (Les Paul Custom with classic '57s) in it to test and the results were clean with NO clipping.

The pad on the 2i4 reduces hot signals by 10db.

Having said all that, the iTrack solo looks as if it has Apple's aproval, and here's a YouTube video demonstrating it with GarageBand. Looks like a nice interface. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=rela ... cqq5bJ3PtI