GarageBand to Auria on iPad

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Fusbur

GarageBand to Auria on iPad

Post by Fusbur » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi
So how do I get my iPad GB files into Auria? All the posts I searched involved a PC or Mac. Surely there's a way to swap files within iPad?
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

Fusbur

Re: GarageBand to Auria on iPad

Post by Fusbur » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 pm

I tried exporting GB to Dropbox. But when I tried to import new project in Auria from Dropbox, I couldn't see it because it wouldn't show Dropbox uploads. Confused ....
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Auria will only show files in your dropbox folder if they are files which Auria can load (WAV, AIF, MP3, AFF). Just make sure that the files you exported from GB are one of those formats and you should see them.

Rim

Fusbur

Post by Fusbur » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Ok, I assumed GB files were wav or aiff anyway but will check. Thanks.
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

Fusbur

Post by Fusbur » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:38 pm

I also tried exporting songs from iPad to iTunes but iPad has a different iTunes it seems?
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

Fusbur

Post by Fusbur » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:48 pm

And another thing ... :wink:
When I export from GB to Dropbox, it shows up in the uploads folder, which I don't seem to be able to access from Auria?
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 pm

You use the same iTunes for everything, there's only one version. I'm not sure what you're asking there. Please elaborate.

As far as importing from Garageband, I'm not quite sure how you're sending garageband files into DropBox, but assuming you've got some wav files sitting on your dropbox folder, it's just a matter of selecting the Import Audio screen in Auria, then touch the tab labeled "DropBox". Once you do that, you'll see the list of files in your dropbox folder, and if you have wav files there, they should show up in the list. make sure you're looking in the correct dropbox folder (the same folder you uploaded your wav files into).

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:31 am

I suspect the problem may be that GB(iPad) outputs .m4a files, which Auria currently does not recognise. See this thread to review how many of us accomplish GB->Auria transfer:

http://d4.drumagog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9596

Fusbur

Post by Fusbur » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:13 am

Rim wrote:You use the same iTunes for everything, there's only one version. I'm not sure what you're asking there. Please elaborate.

Rim
I meant that when I export a song from GB on iPad via iTunes, I can't find it anywhere in in my iPad's iTunes.
Last edited by Fusbur on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

Fusbur

Post by Fusbur » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:14 am

[quote="Washboy"]I suspect the problem may be that GB(iPad) outputs .m4a files, which Auria currently does not recognise. See this thread to review how many of us accomplish GB->Auria transfer:

Yeah, that'll be it then. Thanks for the link, will check that out.
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Yes Garageband iPad exports a 16 bit 44.1 khx m4a compressed stereo audio file. Simply email the file to yourself then use an audio app that opens emails like Daw Multitrack then once copied to the pasteboard you can now open it in Auria as the file will be converted by Daw Multitrack to a format that Auria recognizes. If Auria offered an Open in Email option than that would eliminate the need for another app to be used. There are other audio apps that import from email but this is the one I use and workd best. Hope this helps and I have a youtube video on how to do this. anthonyalves1 my youtube channel. I will give the link. Cheers.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:Yes Garageband iPad exports a 16 bit 44.1 khx m4a compressed stereo audio file. Simply email the file to yourself then use an audio app that opens emails like Daw Multitrack then once copied to the pasteboard you can now open it in Auria as the file will be converted by Daw Multitrack to a format that Auria recognizes. If Auria offered an Open in Email option than that would eliminate the need for another app to be used. There are other audio apps that import from email but this is the one I use and workd best. Hope this helps and I have a youtube video on how to do this. anthonyalves1 my youtube channel. I will give the link. Cheers.
Heres the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=wd1wzCXvey0

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Not sure if it helps at all, but you can rename .m4a files as .mp4
Some audio programs won't recognise an .m4a file, but will recognise the same file with the file extension changed to .mp4
It should be remembered that the two file types are not identical - one or other can be a video file as well as an audio file, and there is embedded information available for one of them, but, if you are sure it's just an audio file, renaming works fine.
This information may be useless, of course, if Auria doesn't support .mp4 files either.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Auria only imports WAV, AIF, MP3 and AAF files, no Mp4 or M4a support...

Rim

Fusbur

Post by Fusbur » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 am

Ok, got it. Thanks for the invaluable advice guys. :D
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1