TascamiU2

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Schimanski
Expert

TascamiU2

Post by Schimanski » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:33 am

Hi everybody!
I've been using the TascamiU2 from the first day I got Auria ( the day it came out) and it did what I needed it for - making
demos for myself or my clients.The TiU2 is nothing fancy or so but it worked! I used the guitar input ,the mic input, midi etc.
No problems!That was iPad3 iOs6.01 and the last version of Auria.Two days ago I got the new iPad4 ,installed all my stuff,
everything is fine,or even better ,but now there is no way to make the iPad recognize the iU2!
Does anybody know what to do?Thanks .
Chris

Schimanski
Expert

Re: TascamiU2

Post by Schimanski » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:57 am

I forgot to mention: of course I use the 30 pin to lightning connector.
Chris

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm a bit surprised that you don't mention occasional distorted audio and no audio output at all. Because that's what I'm still experiencing with the iU2 and iPad2. It got better after iOS 6, but it's still happening from time to time. There is a remedy, closing (killing) all audio apps, launching one audio app and try again, maybe launch another one, switch between them, until I get undistorted audio. From then on the iU2 is reliable for hours.

Obviously this is not the case with an iPad3. Can you confirm that?

With the iPad4 and adapter, it looks like (I almost expected it) that the iU2 won't work. I fear there is nothing we can do about it. I also got an iPad4, but there I use the headphone out for Auria and other apps. Very nice performance, but without proper inputs.

I think I keep the iU2 attached to my iPad2, and wait for a solution for the iPad4.

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi ,
with the ipad3 i did not experience what you said,distortion etc.the only "problem" was to remember that the usb power
supply has to be the last thing to plug in.but then it worked really fine.and together with Auria it was a "demo studio de luxe".
I'll do the same - wait for some time for a solution....and then focusrite 18i6?I read a lot about that in the forum but I'm always
confused: does it work with auria and an ipad4 or not and why do I need an extra powered usb hub.I thought the 18i6 has a
power supply...?
Thanks for your reply!
Chris

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 am

thank you for the confirmation. So it looks like the iU2 is compatible with iPad3, and only partially working with older iPads. And not compatible with iPad4. Maybe the reason why I don't get a reply from Tascam technical support at all.

I need an interface solution that keeps the iPad powered. It would be nice to have more than two in- and outputs, but until now there is no such thing I believe. I wish there was an adapter between the iPad and USB socket (CCK) where you can supply the iPad with power, and use class compliant multichannel USB interfaces. Without hub between, like you said, the interface's power adapter should supply the interface.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:31 am

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm not sure about this, but I guess it has nothing to do with the iPad model. It depends on the apps one is using, and on the iOS version, how Core Audio is handled. There seems to be a problem with the iPad's Core Audio (iOS 6.0.1) and incorrect sampling rates, which can lead to said problems with the Tascam iU2. A similar thing has been reported with Auria, which did not lead to distortion, but to slower/faster playback (with different or no audio interface attached; don't know these details). Both errors are because of the wrong sample frequency.

Now there may be a good solution: plug and unplug a stereo mini-jack into the headphone socket. This seems to fix the error instantly, switching the iPad's Core Audio sampling frequency back to 44.1 kHz. I'll have to try this method over the next months to see if it really (temporarily) fixes the problem, and in all situations.

Of course it would be better if Apple/Tascam would permanently fix it. :)