Compatible interfaces

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Fusbur

Compatible interfaces

Post by Fusbur » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:23 am

Hi
Having looked at the list of compatible interfaces on the website, the only one that charges iPad and offers XLR and jack ins is the Alesis iO Dock. However, I'm told the preamps aren't too hot. Is anyone using an interface that can charge iPad, has an Xlr and jack input and decent preamps?
Many thanks
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

Fusbur

Re: Compatible interfaces

Post by Fusbur » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:53 am

Is that a 'no, then? :?
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:30 am

Im pretty sure the alesis dock is the only one that charges at the same time.

will
Expert

Post by will » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:38 am

Hi Fusbur - I wrote a reply before - but I think I might of had a (senior) moment and hit the wrong button. :roll:

No: The Alesis / behringer (if it's out) are the only ones that allow charging whilst in use (to my knowledge) - because they are not doing anything but passing analogue through to the in/out pins on the connector (thus not using the "USB" of the ipad).
It's like using the headphone socket, or using any other "dock" for a phone or pad. The Ipad is doing the sampling, not the IOdock.

The Ipad can NOT do the following (at present):
Act as host and slave: IE: Take in Digital data through the USB (like pre-converted, digitised audio from an audio interface) AND charge. It sucks, in a rather, stunningly large way. Because we are limited by battery use when we want to, say, sample and convert at a high rate.

Sorry if you know all this, certainly don't mean to patronise.

Anyway - maybe a nice preamp can go before the dock, like an FMR or something to give a nicer sound/signal. People are getting good results with the IOdock, depends on the quality you are after. etc.

Anyone else who can suggest anything?

Regards
Will.

Fusbur

Post by Fusbur » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:59 am

Ok, thanks everyone. As I suspected. Never mind, the convenience of Auria and iPad out way the battery issue at the moment so might dive in shortly!
IPad 2
iOS 6.0.1

will
Expert

Post by will » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 am

Yes Fusbur,- Auria is fantastic.
I have pushed a mouse around in high end 3D for 10+ years, and for me using fingers on "non impact" surfaces (like an ipad) is such a relief. As a music educator now, it's also very applicable.
The (my?) battery/USB thing is an Apple gripe that they have long been subjected to. Of course, things always change at some point (remember: "there will not be a smaller ipad")?
I recommend you try it out - the workflow is quite liberating - anyway, we're supposed to take frequent breaks according to oh+s!
Maybe someone here can guide you to some IOdock recordings? Because let's face it - if you are writing, then the dock is probably a great tool. It's not always about the tech, apparently!

Good luck.
Will.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:53 pm

maybe this special cable can charge the iPad while connected to a USB audio interface? It seems it is included with the RME Babyface and is called 'special two USB connector cable'. Can somebody shed some light on this matter?

rollinpit

Re: Compatible interfaces..Alesis Multimix 8 fx 2.0

Post by rollinpit » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi evrybody,

today I tried to connect the alesis multimix to auria running on ipad 3, ios6. Camera connection kit... :? .seems there is no chance to get it working, device not supported...
does anybody knows a way ?

Thank you

will
Expert

Post by will » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:42 am

Phil999 sorry if you know this already. It's not a lead or adapter thing that stops the iPad from charging whilst using the USB port - it,s the limited way that USB is incorporated in the iPad. So at present there is no way to get round it. Alesis io dock's for example, are not using the USB for digital transfer of audio, so they can charge. I really hope apple come to the party on this sometime. Because its getting in the way! Mainly due to charge times.
Apparently the griffin power box (iPad edition) is a faster charger than the iPad supplied, which is, in turn way faster than from a USB port on a desktop.

I was even thinking about modding the iPad today. But too poor to blow it up! :D

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 am

no I didn't know that, despite extensive research. I thought it is just a matter of hardware. But it makes sense, I somehow seem to understand Apple now, the CCK is made to offload photos from cameras, it's not intended for long music sessions and audio interfaces.

Thank you for letting me know, now I can forget this matter and be relatively happy with my iU2 interface.
Last edited by Phil999 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

will
Expert

Post by will » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:31 pm

Yes 9999 - I think you should be more than relatively happy, as fusbur stated: recording in Auria and using the tools presently outwieghs the battery issue.
At some point the ipad will change to reflect the needs of consumers - look at the "there will never be 7" ipad" ipad.
I had a babyface that I hung onto despite no class compliant modes...suddenly there was.
I need to do a battery test recording / editing until dead, that way I will know what I can do.

We (me?!) should enjoy making great audio regardless of the "constraints".
Will.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:41 am

you're absolutely right, we are in paradise these days. :D

I said 'relatively' because the iU2 is not 100% reliable. Not even 50%. I come from the analog world where every connection transmits the signal, or I can fix the cable if it doesn't. With modern stuff I can do more, but don't have this reliability. It will take another iOS update , or two, to get acceptable functionality. Or not.