Interface dock suggestions

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Joe Nerve

Interface dock suggestions

Post by Joe Nerve » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:04 am

Been using a headphone based interface, tascam iXZ and realize it's limitations. I would like to get a dock/interface and was excited about the aleses io dock - until I read the amazon reviews regarding use with the newer ipads. Seems there are some mega issues goin on with that thing.

I'd like to buy something similar, but not sure anything exists. Only other option I found was the griffin studio connect, but I think that might also go through the headphone jack.

The interface sticky here was a lot to page through...

Can anyone recommend something?

sealpt
Expert

Re: Interface dock suggestions

Post by sealpt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:28 am

The griffin dock uses the pin connector, but I'm not sure on it's bit rate.

Shawn

Joe Nerve

Post by Joe Nerve » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Yeah, but that might be just for charging purposes. They're not very clear on whether or not recording goes through the earphone jack.

sealpt
Expert

Post by sealpt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:44 pm

There are probably demo videos out there on it, but you're right, it is a bit unclear on that.

Shawn

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:36 pm

In defense of the Alesis iO Dock, I've gotten quite good results with it with an iPad 3 running iOS 5.1.1 and the latest IODock firmware. I also have owned quite a few other interfaces including:

Presonus 1818VSL
Apogee Jam
Art USBDualPre
M-Audio MobilePre
Zoom H4N
Lexicon Omega

There certainly were issues when iOS firmware 5.0 came out, and the sound quality of the iODock isn't as high quality as the 1818VSL, for example. Also,the fit with later generations of iPads (it was made for the original) isn't as good as it could be, even with the adapter tray.

What I love about it though, is the quick setup, ease of use, and the fact that it charges the iPad simultaneously. Also, it has 2 mic preamps with phantom power, which allows me use a broad selection of mics. The preamps aren't high end, but they're not horrible either. For those reasons, I find myself using it more than any other interface. (The only ones I've kept are the IODock, the 1818 and the Jam). The 1818 is the best sounding and most expandable, when it's working properly, but it's been VERY finicky in my experience... I'm almost to the point of returning it. Their forums are loaded with similar issues.

One other negative to keep in mind is that it uses the old style Dock connector, and even if it works with the dock adapter, that will prevent it from sliding all the way into the unit, which would be a pretty funky solution.

baronluigi

Post by baronluigi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:37 pm

The interface section of the website needs to be updated. I picked up a Scarlet 8i6 and it works nice. Sounds crystal clear. It does not require a powered hub.

I use my api lunchbox 500 series channels (Neve Pre eq comp, API Pre, eq, comp) into the TRS inputs on the back of the scarlet and the 2 focusrite pre's on the front for 4 in at a time. You can assign these to any tracks.

The headphone jack on the scarlet works fine with its own volume knob, in addition the monitor knob on the front controls the volume of the main outs on the back.

Oh no powered hub needed. Plug the scarlet into the wall outlet and the USB cable into the cck on the iPad.

Works great. I had an alesis io dock, but booted it, it was noisy in comparison.

I have an apogee for my desktop daw, and with the neve lunchbox I can't hear a difference between it and using the scarlet/auria iPad combo. Killer. I would highly recommend this.

(As a note I needed to hook the scarlet to my pc and update the firmware and save the iPad template to the scarlet hardware. Took about 3 minutes, easy instructions from focusrite's website.)

If you want killer sound with no hassle and all knobs work, etc... I would recommend the scarlet.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 am

thanks for letting me know. We'll update that section of the interface list.

Rim