New Hollywood drum loops issue

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Morgan
Expert

New Hollywood drum loops issue

Post by Morgan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 am

Rim I know you are busy dealing with the update issues but i wondered if you could comment on the following. I updated Auria to 1.3 without problems on IPad 3 and downloaded the new drum loops from Hollywood. When I import these files into a track they come in with too much gain and some of the drum sounds are clipping. Although I can reduce the overall envelope gain after the files have been imported the clipping effect remains however much I reduce the envelope. Is there a way of forcing the import to come in at a reduced level or will Hollywood have to reduce the overall amplitude of the files. Alternatively can I somehow reduce the gain of the wav files before I import them. Thanks for all the effort you are putting in for all users of this product.

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Re: New Hollywood drum loops issue

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:06 am

Ok, thanks. I've let them know about it.

Rim

Marts500
Expert

Post by Marts500 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Mmm...they're clipping alright.Please let me know if you find a solution... :(

cloudkake

Post by cloudkake » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:02 am

Some clipping here for me.

Also - when setting up a tempo for these samples to loop, they don't appear to be as stated. For example, the 84bmp samples don't line up at 84bpm in auria!? When I do finally get the tempo locked in on one of the 2-bar 84bpm samples (Which was about 83.64bpm in auria) one of the other 2-bar samples now falls short! Surely this can't be right? I seem to be endlessly chasing my tail to get these loops to loop!

Rim, any thoughts?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:16 am

I checked with Hollywood Loops and they said the samples are not actually clipping - they are just recorded very hot. Have you tried turning down the track to avoid the clipping?

As far the the tempo, I've asked them to comment directly. Possibly there's an issue with one of the loops, which they can address directly.

Thanks,
Rim

JohnHollywoodLoops

Post by JohnHollywoodLoops » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi Everybody,

This is John from Hollywood Loops.

I'm sorry for the confusion over the tempos of the loops. There is always a slight variation in tempo with human drummers. I've edited a ton of big name drummers and it is universally true. What we can do to fix this is "tune" the loops to a certain tempo. In other words, we can export the loops with a tiny bit of time adjustment that will line up and loop well in Auria.

We used to use this technique all the time, but as automatic time stretching/pitch shifting became almost universally present, we left the "fine-tune" time stretch up to the customers. I should have considered this issue before I uploaded the loops, but it did not occur to me. For that, I sincerely apologize.

I will tune the loops and re upload sometime tomorrow. Again, I apologize to you folks enduring this frustration, but it is my pleasure to make it right. Going forward, we will always make sure that we tune the loops initially for our excellent Auria customers.

Thanks so much for your patience and support.
John

cloudkake

Post by cloudkake » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks for the reply John,
your quick response and explanation are much appreciated!
Best,
Neil

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Rim wrote:I checked with Hollywood Loops and they said the samples are not actually clipping - they are just recorded very hot. Have you tried turning down the track to avoid the clipping?

As far the the tempo, I've asked them to comment directly. Possibly there's an issue with one of the loops, which they can address directly.

Thanks,
Rim
I'm curious if anyone who has purchased the Hollywood drum loops can clarify if the samples are clipping or not. I'm interested in buying them, but if they're recorded too hot, well...that's obviously a problem.

Thanks.

JohnHollywoodLoops

Post by JohnHollywoodLoops » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:58 am

OK Folks, I have the tuned loops uploading to Rim's folder. They will line up with Auria's time line if you set the tempo to the same BPMs.

I will make sure that the loops for Auria are tuned before we upload going forward.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's patience.

JohnHollywoodLoops

Post by JohnHollywoodLoops » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:24 am

I'm curious if anyone who has purchased the Hollywood drum loops can clarify if the samples are clipping or not. I'm interested in buying them, but if they're recorded too hot, well...that's obviously a problem.

Thanks.
Hi Supanorton,

No clipping on those loops what so ever. I'm not sure exactly who mixed these, but this was from a project that involved a major label. It was recorded in world class studios, by world class engineers, on world class gear and mics, by one of the greatest drummers in the world...

We did use every bit that was available for the most detailed recordings possible. They do go to 0.0db at the peaks, so you must turn them down in order to leave some room for other tracks. There is no clipping in the recording though. I double checked them myself in both Sound Forge and Pro Tools 10. And like I said, the people who recorded and mixed these sessions were top pros.

If you have the loop's channel set to unity (0.0db) gain, and turn on the master buss saturation or compression, or boost a little EQ, it will clip the channel. Just make sure you turn it down to a level that is appropriate for your mix.

Thanks again everybody
John

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks, John. We'll be updating the library in the next day or two, and I'll post here when it's complete. For existing users, you'll be able to update your library by simply going to the Auria store and pressing the Restore Purchases button. This will re-download the loops and install them, copying over the old ones in the process.

Rim

robdean
Expert

Post by robdean » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:35 am

There's an interesting overall issue here. Auria makes a lot of 'professional' level functionality much more accessible and affordable. It's natural for those for whom the app is a big step up in sophistication to think of pro standards as representing 'the best' but easy for it to be overlooked that 'pro' quality suppliers might tend to assume 'pro' level expertise in their end users. Thus 'the best' might have the ultimate in potential but prove more awkward to make use of than some buyers anticipate.

I suspect that y'all have reached this conclusion already, but I'm guessing that a few insightful concessions towards making third-party in-app purchases 'ready to eat' (timing-wise in this case) and easily digested (headroom-wise in this case) might make life easier for all concerned, suppliers and buyers alike.
Latest iOS - iPad Air 2019 256Gb WiFi - Alesis iO4

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:05 pm

What about the update of the hollywood drums library?I refer to the tempo issue not the clipping.
Regards Chris

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:11 pm

This has been updated at this point. If you already have a copy of Hollywood Drums, just go to the Auria Store, and click the Restore Purchases button to re-download the loops.

Thanks,
Rim

Trueyorky
Expert

Post by Trueyorky » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Yep, these loops work for me - BPM matches and they sound HOT.