Unused files cleanup

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mliafrate

Unused files cleanup

Post by mliafrate » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 pm

I apologize if the topic has already been covered but I could not find any explanation of how the new feature for unused files cleanup works. Is there an option to turn it on or is it automatic? Is there a criteria that it uses to determine what files to cleanup?
Thank you.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Unused files cleanup

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Starting in version 1.02, cleanup is something that's done automatically as a project is loaded. If Auria finds any audio files in the project's folder that aren't being used in the project, it deletes them.

Rim

offthesky
Expert

Post by offthesky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:09 pm

hi there, love that auria does its own cleanup; very convenient! however i just noticed that when i make recordings or import audio clips, and then remove them via tapping the undo button, the audio file is not cleaned up but remains in the project folder...

update:

i did find a work around, i can load up a new or different project, choose "import audio" from the file menu then browse into any project's folder and delete the un-needed or un-cleaned-up files from there. be careful as you can actually delete another project's files this way. to test this, i deleted a file used by a project. this didn't cause any major problems when i opened said project back up. the regions for the missing file showed up but obviously i didn't hear any audio from them on playback.

noise.offthesky.com

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:03 pm

You're right, undo will not delete the associated wav file (because it doesn't know if you're going to press Redo). But when you reload that project, Auria will clean up, by deleting the files that are not longer used.

Rim

offthesky
Expert

Post by offthesky » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:19 pm

hi rim, thanks for the reply; i really appreciate your team's willingness to work with the users to make this app even more amazing!

so i swear after i undo recordings, they just dont go away from the project's folder ever(unless i go in there and manually delete them from another project).

to double check to make sure im not crazy on this, i created a new project called "new1". i made 3 recordings on track one, then using undo, removed all 3 recordings. then i opened up a blank project(called "empty"), and then opened back up "new1" - at this point auria should have seen that those 3 recordings were not used anywhere in theproject and just removed them right? sadly, they're still there(checking using the import audio file browser). i even tried killing the app entirely, and restarting, loading different projects afterwards, restarting the ipad(with auria killed first), etc... but still those 3 recordings are still there.

noise.offthesky.com

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 am

I just verified this, and you're right. The cleanup function is not removing recorded orphans. I'll add this to the list for 1.04.

Thanks for letting me know!

Rim

offthesky
Expert

Post by offthesky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:41 pm

hey there, i also notice the cleanup doesn't occur when you import an audio file(or audiopaste) into a track and then remove it via undo(you probably already know this)

noise.offthesky.com

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 am

Yep, I have found the bug already, and we'll have it fixed for 1.04.

Thanks,
Rim

offthesky
Expert

Post by offthesky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:24 pm

thanks for the response rim!

also, sorry to beat a dead horse on this topic(feel free to not response), but simply wanted to bring to light another related item: often times i'm trying to hit "edit>delete track" but accidentally i hit audiopaste instead, which is how i found this: after the trademark audiopaste pop-up window appears, if i tap outside that window it obviously goes away but then there is an empty audiopaste file created in my project's folder. if i repeat that(open the AP pop-up menu, then tap outside to make it go away) there's a second empty audiopaste file created(and so on). anyway, those empty audiopaste files also do not get cleaned up. again sorry to keep bringing this up - figure it's worth mentioning just in case.

on a side note: i really really appreciate you and your team's uber pro responsiveness on all the bugs i(and the other users's) keep reporting. this instills allot confidence that this software will certainly become an industry standard go-to alternative to(and maybe replace?) the desktop daw's we've all been used to

noise.offthesky.com

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:42 am

Thanks, I just fixed this, and it should appear in 1.04.

Rim