iOS6 announced, has the veil of secrecy been lifted?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

garyshell
Expert

iOS6 announced, has the veil of secrecy been lifted?

Post by garyshell » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:29 pm

With all the announcements about iOS6 this morning we wait with baited breath (or as Robin Williams so eloquently put it, with a worm on our tongues) to hear the impact on Auria. Has the veil of secrecy now been lifted? Can Rim spill the beans and tell us if we will be getting multi channel output and what sort of routing options might we get as a result. Will this mean that we CAN headphone monitor with the Presonus interface? Do tell please!

Gary

Scott O

Re: iOS6 announced, has the veil of secrecy been lifted?

Post by Scott O » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm up for that, still have to wait another week to get it though :(

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:37 am

Apple still won't let developers talk about iOS6, until it's out. I will definitely post a preview of what's coming once we're able to.

Thanks,
Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:07 am

Rim,

Thanks for the update. I thought the NDA had been lifted after the announcements of iOS6. I assume from what you are saying then, we are talking about this coming Wednesday, correct?

Thanks again,

Gary

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 am

Ok, today's the day. We are all waiting with baited breath, or as Robin Williams put it "with a worm on our tongue". What affect does iOS6 have on multi channel output from Auria? And what other features might we expect to have enhance our dining and dancing pleasure with Auria?

Gary

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 am

iOS6 is still not public. We'll reveal the details as soon as we can!

Thanks,
Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Rim wrote:iOS6 is still not public. We'll reveal the details as soon as we can!

Thanks,
Rim

Sorry, I really didn't expect you to answer that message before 1:00 PM EDT, when it did go public. But seeing as how I am about 50% thru the download of iOS 6 as I type. Can we get the official word now? ...big ol' grin...

Thanks,
Gary

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Unless 6 offers any kind of enhanced performance midi/audio wise I'm gonna hold of. Don't wanna lose street view with google maps, YouTube etc. Does it use any more space by the way? I'm on a 16gb iPad 2 so every mb counts. :(

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 pm

From what I see for the iPad it uses a little less than half a GB. For the iPhone it needed 2.4 GB. I only did my iPhone because I'm not really to excited about this until I find out how it affects all my apps. Mainly my iPad ones if at all.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:30 am

In 1.04, we're going to introduce new output routing features to Auria (only available when you upgrade to iOS6). There will be a new Output Matrix panel, which will allow you to choose the output routing for the subgroups and aux sends (LR, USB Output Channel, or Both). Also, the main output USB channel assignment can be set (to fix issues with USB interfaces whose headphones are routed to 7&8, like the Presonus 1818).

I don't have an exact timetable for 1.04, as 1.03 is still being reviewed by Apple right now, but we're working on it.

Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 am

Thanks Rim!

How many outputs will be supported at one time?

Gary

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 am

In theory, iOS supports an unlimited number of outputs. Because Auria has 8 stereo subgroups, 2 stereo Aux sends, and main stereo outputs, the number of USB outputs supported will be 22.

Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Rim wrote:In theory, iOS supports an unlimited number of outputs. Because Auria has 8 stereo subgroups, 2 stereo Aux sends, and main stereo outputs, the number of USB outputs supported will be 22.

Rim
That's cool! But, as far as headphone monitoring via Auria during tracking, we are talking 2 mixes via the 2 stereo aux buses. Unless the performers can deal with no individual level tweaking of instruments in their mixes, only variations of which instruments appear in their ears, in which case we could use stereo sub groups.

Any thoughts of adding more aux buses? It sure would be nice to have at least a couple more. During tracking I often have at least one aux for a bit of headphone vocal reverb and three or four different headphone mixes going.

Gary

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Right now it will mean two aux sends to two stereo usb output pairs. We may add more in the future.

Rim