can I use it live for fx processing?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rekloos

can I use it live for fx processing?

Post by rekloos » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm experimenting with different setups for live performance and was wondering if I can use it to run vox/gtrs thru it without lags?
Would it b fast enough?

thx...

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: can I use it live for fx processing?

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:04 pm

rekloos wrote:I'm experimenting with different setups for live performance and was wondering if I can use it to run vox/gtrs thru it without lags?
Would it b fast enough?

thx...
Auria plays well as long as the cpu is under control. Practice with setups that utilize
Ow memory. The thx guitar plugin does require cpu power but I think it would work fine for just a couple of players and would work great for a single performer. I practice with Auria in a Live sense all the time as I rehearse my tracks. Cheers hope this inspires you to get Auria if you dont already own it.

rekloos

Post by rekloos » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
rekloos wrote:I'm experimenting with different setups for live performance and was wondering if I can use it to run vox/gtrs thru it without lags?
Would it b fast enough?

thx...
Auria plays well as long as the cpu is under control. Practice with setups that utilize
Ow memory. The thx guitar plugin does require cpu power but I think it would work fine for just a couple of players and would work great for a single performer. I practice with Auria in a Live sense all the time as I rehearse my tracks. Cheers hope this inspires you to get Auria if you dont already own it.
Great.
What I have in mind is running 2ch in, a vocal and an instrument and process them separate with probably 3-5 plugs on each ch.
Also would be tweaking parameters on the fly but mostly would be for giving it some 'flavor'.
What would ur opinion be on this kinda setup?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:29 pm

rekloos wrote:
Anthony Alves wrote:
Would it b fast enough?

thx...
Great.
What I have in mind is running 2ch in, a vocal and an instrument and process them separate with probably 3-5 plugs on each ch.
Also would be tweaking parameters on the fly but mostly would be for giving it some 'flavor'.
What would ur opinion be on this kinda setup?
Sounds lalot like what I am already using. The max plugins per channel are 4 on top of the PsP channel strip processing. I use the Presonus 44vsl and the Focusrite 2i2. No plroblem you can even record your live performance if set lightly but Auria is very fine with 2-6 channels at once for speed more than that and effects have to be trimmed down. No other app sounds as good as Auria. Cheers.

tablevise
Expert

Post by tablevise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Yes. It works for that purpose.

I have already used it live in that way.

Worked great.

offthesky
Expert

Post by offthesky » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 pm

i've also been using auria as a live fx processor quite well. but since i'm on an ipad 2, i typically have to set the record latency higher if i want to use allot of effects(especially any cpu intensive ones like thm or the convolution plugin).

one interesting technique i've been exploring is a "loop-back" method: since i'm using only one mono input(left typically), i run my instrument through that input then pan auria hard left then take the left output from my audio interface and run it back into the right input on the audio interface (using a 1/4"->1/4" male patch cable). then i can process the right input only with apps like sunvox or beatmaker 2 - yes those apps work great together in the background with auria(wish i could use jasuto pro; hopefully with the next auria update).

also this technique works well in reverse: sending from sunvox back into auria. i just have to pan the last app in the chain hard right(or the opposite of the output channel going back into the input on my audio interface) - so in this case right out is the output that goes to the mixer or amp for monitoring. works pretty well unless you don't set the panning properly on input/output in your apps(otherwise you can get nasty feedback, which is cool if you're doing weirdo noise music i guess;) ).

this technique has actually been most useful for me to record apps like animoog(with my korg nanokey+usb hub), sunvox, or beatmaker 2 back into mono tracks in auria. i then add stereo effects or panning. however i really can't wait for audiobus to be fully implemented to be able to do this all in proper stereo (minus all the cables).

i'm currently doing this fully mobile with a griffin imic(noisy i know but with the fab filter pro Q+channel strip expander you can fine-q notch out most of the noise since it's internal noise is comprised of 6 very specific frequencies) but it should in theory work better with a more dedicated i/o interfaces. plus i use the following hosa adapters to make it work:

i hope this technique finds use or fun for some to explore!

noise.offthesky.com