Portable recording kit

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

AtTheLake

Portable recording kit

Post by AtTheLake » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi:

I am considering assembling a portable recording kit for voice-only interview recording with the following components.

iPad 3 16 MB with CCK & powered hub
Auria
PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL
2 – 4 XLR lav mics, headphones. [/list]

My primary interest in Auria is to allow an inexperienced audio person (someone other than me) to monitor recording levels with an easy to view interface and adjustable controls. I would preconfigure a project and have it ready to go. The user would have to power up the equipment, place the mics, do a sound check and press record. Stop recording when done. Three questions:

1. With this setup, would a user primarily adjust input gain using the PreSonus, or the virtual faders in Auria?
2. At this point, I would not be using much of the editing power of Auria. Can .wav files be copied out for editing in another desktop DAW
3. Overall, does this setup with Auria look reasonable to meet my need for high quality audio and simplicity of recording?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris M
Expert

Re: Portable recording kit

Post by Chris M » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Hello,

Yes, this looks like a great set-up. Input levels can be watching the meters in the Input Matrix while adjust thing physical controls on the 44VSL. You'll want to watch the clipping indicator lights on the unit itself to make sure you aren't clipping, but a more detailed level can be viewed in Auria.

When you're done recording, you can either copy the project folder (containing our audio files) onto a computer using iTunes File Sharing or DropBox, or, export the project as an AAF file and move it into your DAW (assuming your DAW has an AAF import option). This can be done using iTunes File Sharing or DropBox as well.

You should have good results with this set-up!

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs