Condense Region problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Condense Region problem

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 am

Im finding in my Condense Region tests that my audio files have been duplicated about sixteen times each for every track that I imported into Auria. I found that if I recorded the track into Auria, say vocals, that track isnt duplicated or at least not as many times, but any track that I imported into Auria seems to duplicate itself and is available in the Import Audio Menu. There I can see all the additional duplicates. As well it used up 300 more megs of flash drive space instead of freeing up space. this process seems to be doing the exact opposite of what it is intended to do which is to free up disk space by deleting audio that is not currently being used in the project. This is in addition to playing ghost audio that has been cut out of a previously frozen track making that track unusable or at least unable to cut out parts of that track as they will still play back and with exactly the Fx that was applied at the time of the Condese Region process. Even if you disable the FX on the track durring playback the cut out part that shouldnt play, plays and with the fx intact then switches to the track dry or without fx which is what you want when muting the fx on a track. this only seems to be happening on tracks that were frozen durring the condese region process. So two problems here. One is the ghost audio that plays back even though it has been cut out after the condense region process on frozen tracks. does not affect non frozen tracks.

Two is that tracks are being duplicated to the tune of sixteen times each resulting in extra disk space being used. especially on tracks that have been added to the project via copy paste or loaded in from itunes. Tracks recorded direct into "Auria seem to be less affected.

Has anyone else had this occur to them?
Has the Wavemachine Team encountered this or heard of this and is this an already reported bug?
Ive had this since the update when condense region was introduced.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Condense Region problem

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:43 am

I was also wondering if the additional files that are in the project folder could some how be associated to the edits in that track. ie how many times you copied or pasted it, that sort of thing. Maybe these files are needed by Auria for some reason. It just seems strange that when Im working on a project at first only the original files that I imported are visible but after a condese region I can see all of them. So Im not sure if it is duplicates or how Auria deals with its edits. for exanple if you copy and paste a part on a track most just put locater marks on the original file and dont actually copy the track part into new audio but Im not sure if Auria does this or not.
not sure if this is really a bug or just how Auria organizes its audio edits and track alocation data.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:02 am

Anthony,

Here's what's going on. Condense regions will trim any audio files used in your project to the exact length as they appear in the editor. In other words, if you have a 5 minute audio file, and you adjusted the trim handles, so only the middle 5 seconds are showing, doing a Condense Regions will rewrite that wav file to be only a 5 second file. This works great for saving space in most standard projects. However, if you have a single wav file that's used 16 times in the same project, Condense Regions has no choice but to make 16 copies of this WAV file. This is because there may be situations where, say you duplicated a region 3 times (same WAV file), and in the first duplicate, you trimmed it so you only hear the beginning, then the second one is trimmed to hear the middle, and the last one is trimmed to hear the end. Condense Regions now has to make three copies of the file. Hope this makes sense.

So, I don't recommend using Condense Regions if you have a lot of duplicates of regions, as it will have the opposite effect.

The bugs related to Condense Regions and freezing tracks have already been fixed.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks Rim, now I understand what Im seeing. I thought it might be how Auria deals with multiple regions on the same track. And yes my project had many copied/duplicated regions and that was why the condense region applied so many copies. I will avoid using the condense region function right now.. Thanks for the other fix. Cheers.