Any 16 tracks at once tips?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mandodon
Expert

Any 16 tracks at once tips?

Post by mandodon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:19 pm

It looks like I'm going to try to record a live show Saturday. I've got the Presonus 1818VSL as an interface--using its 8 tracks plus another 8 tracks coming into it by ADAT from a Steinberg MR816 in standalone mode. I'm going to record at 24/44.1. I'm playing the show as well as running the live sound board, so I'm hoping to push record and let it run for about an hour at a time. I should be able to get levels during sound check.

I have an iPad 2 with 64gb, so I should have plenty of space. Will the iPad 2 be fast enough to keep up with 16 tracks?

I plan to do some testing this Thursday and Friday. Here's some things I've come up with.
1. Make sure I have a full charge on the iPad.
2. Quit all applications and reboot the iPad.
3. Turn everything off possible in the settings menu.
4. Set the Record latency to 4096.

Anything else I can do to optimize my chances of pulling this off successfully? Anyone else done 16 tracks in at once yet?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Any 16 tracks at once tips?

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:49 pm

You shouldn't have any issues - 16 tracks is easy on an iPad 2. Your checklist looks good to me.

Rim

mandodon
Expert

Re: Any 16 tracks at once tips?

Post by mandodon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Cool. One other thing I'm going to do is turn off the WiFi. I was talking about the settings in Auria, but I'm going into the iPad system settings and turn everything off there too.

I've got to go to town and get my ADAT lightpipe cable and a 1/4" snake to run from the mixer to the interfaces, and then I can do some testing before the show.

I'll be reporting back on how it goes.