USB hub no power or apple cck kit needed, look here.

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Foster
Expert

Re: USB hub no power or apple cck kit needed, look here.

Post by Foster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Well now that sure explains the 11-18 issue. But what about yesterday when I was plugged into input 1 but the input matrix had my mic on 4?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:01 pm

I really can't explain that. might be a hidden bug in the input matrix that we still have to discover. If you happen to see a pattern with it, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:52 pm

I might not have everything going for a while but when I do I'll do some testing. The issue was that the presonus' channels were 4-11 as opposed to 1-8.

DrApostropheX
Expert

Post by DrApostropheX » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the tip! I ordered one of these off Amazon for $8.69 with free shipping from Hong Kong. I'll let you know if it works when I get it in a month or so. :wink:

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 pm

DrApostropheX wrote:Thanks for the tip! I ordered one of these off Amazon for $8.69 with free shipping from Hong Kong. I'll let you know if it works when I get it in a month or so. :wink:
Get it yet? :D

[I'VE REVISED THIS POST AS IT SEEMS THAT INITIAL POSITIVE RESULTS WERE IN FACT TEMPORARY... LONGER USE HAS REVEALED PROBLEMS...]

Got mine yesterday and just tried it with my Apogee MiniMe: it DOESN'T WORK as described by Foster... or rather it does for a few minutes but after the"This hardware isn't supported" message, it stops working properly, powered or not. I am investigating why but I think the problem is the chip used so it's likely no other solution exists than to find out who Foster ordered from and try to get the same hub.

I noticed that mine had a blue LED as opposed to a red one on Foster's hub (in his video). So it's definitely not the same build.

[Original post...]
...works! No powered hub or CCK required. If I try using the MiniMe with just the CCK, I got a "too much power required" message from iOS and in Auria only one input channel shows up. But with this hub, both stereo channels show up and it works without issues. I got one "not compatible" message, which I dismissed with no issues. Previously I had to use a powered hub for the MiniMe to work correctly; I'm not sure what mojo this little box brings to the table, but it's handy. Thanks again to Foster for bringing this up.
Last edited by Breeze on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baynes

Post by Baynes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 am

Hi all,

Recently I've bought a USB hub from eBay mentioned in this topic. However, I have some problems with it. First, I tried to use the USB ports with an Apogee Jam and MiC (just for testing). Initially it worked very nicely but suddenly the input dropped out. These devices have a dedicated iOS cable so I could still use them.

Yesterday I've bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6. I connected the USB hub, the 18i6 and Auria was getting input and output to the device. But again, suddenly there was no input or output from the device and the iPad used the internal speaker. It seems like the connection is suddenly gone after a while. When the sound is gone, Auria displays INT instead of USB.

Anyone else having this problem?

Sorry for my incorrect english, I hope you understand what I mean...

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:10 am

Baynes wrote:...Recently I've bought a USB hub from eBay mentioned in this topic. However, I have some problems with it...

Yesterday I've bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6. I connected the USB hub, the 18i6 and Auria was getting input and output to the device. But again, suddenly there was no input or output from the device and the iPad used the internal speaker. It seems like the connection is suddenly gone after a while. When the sound is gone, Auria displays INT instead of USB.....
How long exactly does it take for the disconnection to happen? I'm going to set up a recording and let it go on for an hour to see if it happens to me.

There's always the possibility that the hub is defective in some way. Which iPad do you have?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:26 am

This sounds like a hub or cable issue. If Auria displays INT, this means that the iOS has lost connection to the USB device.

Rim

DrApostropheX
Expert

Post by DrApostropheX » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:58 am

I haven't received mine yet (it must be on the slow boat), but I do have to say that I'm really digging the dock extender cable I got a while back (dock extender cable -> CCK -> USB cable). That thing is really handy.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:08 pm

DrApostropheX wrote:I haven't received mine yet (it must be on the slow boat), but I do have to say that I'm really digging the dock extender cable I got a while back (dock extender cable -> CCK -> USB cable). That thing is really handy.
Yeah the dock extender cable (I've got the cable jive one) is essential for the apple cck
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Baynes

Post by Baynes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Breeze wrote:
Baynes wrote:...Recently I've bought a USB hub from eBay mentioned in this topic. However, I have some problems with it...

Yesterday I've bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6. I connected the USB hub, the 18i6 and Auria was getting input and output to the device. But again, suddenly there was no input or output from the device and the iPad used the internal speaker. It seems like the connection is suddenly gone after a while. When the sound is gone, Auria displays INT instead of USB.....
How long exactly does it take for the disconnection to happen? I'm going to set up a recording and let it go on for an hour to see if it happens to me.

There's always the possibility that the hub is defective in some way. Which iPad do you have?
Rim wrote:This sounds like a hub or cable issue. If Auria displays INT, this means that the iOS has lost connection to the USB device.

Rim
It's definitely not a problem caused by Auria. Today I watched a youtube video on the new iPad with the 18i6 attached and listening over the headphone out on the 18i6 and after 6 minutes it loses connection. It must be the hub as Rim said.

Think I have to contact the seller on eBay if it is a common problem with his devices.

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Apologies Baynes, I'm now experiencing the same thing as you. After a few minutes it gives out and the audio collapses: I'm left with one active channel and weird behaviors in Auria (couldn't get one channel's record ready button to disable).

BTW, is your LED red or blue? Foster's is red, mine is blue. I don't know if that's significant. Let's see if Foster can get back to us: I asked him where he got his (who he bought it from on eBay). It sure seems like they're not all the same. Should have realized: the same is true of Dock Extenders and I got screwed on my first one too...

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Breeze wrote:Apologies Baynes, I'm now experiencing the same thing as you. After a few minutes it gives out and the audio collapses: I'm left with one active channel and weird behaviors in Auria (couldn't get one channel's record ready button to disable).

BTW, is your LED red or blue? Foster's is red, mine is blue. I don't know if that's significant. Let's see if Foster can get back to us: I asked him where he got his (who he bought it from on eBay). It sure seems like they're not all the same. Should have realized: the same is true of Dock Extenders and I got screwed on my first one too...
Yup- at least on the dock extender they have to be 30 pin pass thru
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:17 pm

I bought mine off of eBay in march. No idea who the seller was because I wasn't concerned with that at the time. I have had no problems with my hub. I have had it running for hours at a time with no issues. I actually had a rehearsal that lasted 2 1/2 hours and we used auria as a mixer with my hub. I do quite often have it powered up just in case it needs it for some reason and just to be safe. But I have also had it running for least 1 hr a few days ago while working on a project and had no problems.

Maybe there are different ones out there. :?

Baynes

Post by Baynes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 am

Breeze wrote:Apologies Baynes, I'm now experiencing the same thing as you. After a few minutes it gives out and the audio collapses: I'm left with one active channel and weird behaviors in Auria (couldn't get one channel's record ready button to disable).

Mine is red, so it seems that it's not significant...