Drum Machine/Apps that work with Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Skyhighrocks

Drum Machine/Apps that work with Auria?

Post by Skyhighrocks » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:01 am

Has anyone come across a GOOD ipad drum app or software for PC that can be used with Auria? I'm having a helluva time trying to find something that sounds good, is easy to work with AND can be imported directly into auria track by track. What's the consensus?

Does EZ Drummer work?

vezinho
Expert

Re: Drum Machine/Apps that work with Auria?

Post by vezinho » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:14 am

Hi Skyhighrocks !

I use molten which import directly and is good to give a natural feeling to the loops created.
I also found Drumstudio which i prefer for now cause the parameters are great to give this feeling, the sounds are good too, and when you import in Auria with the fabfilter, it's another dimension...
I have a bug with drumstudio ( see audio copy question thread) but is project's specific, otherwise import is working very well.
If you want good sounds the best is sampletank but you have to import by audio in Auria.

Hope that helps a little..

Amicalement
Hervé

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:24 pm

I too am looking for an easier way. I purchased some acoustic drum loops from a company called Drums On Demand (they often have half price sales), which I import into GarageBand for iOS. I've found this to be easiest for me, and they sound great (link to a song I did on Auria here: http://soundcloud.com/anorton/angel-on-my-shoulder-at . The drawbacks are that you're stuck with the beats and patterns that are there (although there is a good variety); they can add up in price; GarageBand doesn't have a filing system, so I have to rename each file before I import; and there is limited space in GarageBand. I've been able to make it work most of the time.

I love all the sounds in SampleTank for iOS, but it is not an app that plays well with others.
BeatMaker2 doesn't come with any acoustic drum sounds I find usable.
DrumsXD has some great sounding kits, but I can't seem to find a quantization control.

I should specify that I'm looking for acoustic drum sounds rather than electronic.

Thanks in advance.

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:30 pm

DM1 is awesome, and the next update will bring an import function for own samples. I'm creating my beats there, and import the loops via AudioCopy in Auria. It's not perfect, but as long as there's no midi, it's a good enough way to be creative. I can at least work like that :)

Androcid

Post by Androcid » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I've used BeatMaker2 now which I love to work with. It can be abit more work to get into auria (you have to first export loop to audio and then copy loop to pasteboard). But its great for pads-work and come with a bunch of options and great soundlibrary. If I were to use sequencer instead of pads I would probably go for DM1 or iElectribe if you like the sound of that (no sampling, but cool app and beautiful to work with)

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi

I think I'm gonna get the Drumagog plug in. I hear you can even just tap on a mic and then change that to drums, pretty cool and easy.

Steve

buddemeyer72

Post by buddemeyer72 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 am

I have found a great solution to the drum dilemma found in iOS apps....being a professional musician and utilizing the iPad for most of my compositions has been quite a task in the last couple of years but it CAN work. For drums, I use NanoStudio...I have sampled some drum kits, trimmed them, panned and created specific "real" sounding drums. At the moment, I have 5 kits available in a pack available for purchase ($5 via PayPal to buddemeyer72@yahoo.com). Here are a few examples of the kits I use. (pack includes Mapex, DW, percussion, Epic, and Epic Cymbal) these are all played on the iPad in NanoStudio and they audio copy/paste right into Auria...working on another set of 5 kits as well...but these work great. Adding a Tama kit soon.

Mapex and percussion:
http://soundcloud.com/buddemeyer72/the-deep

DW:
http://soundcloud.com/buddemeyer72/dwdrumsgtrmix

Another DW test...just drums...sorry sloppy...playing live pads
http://soundcloud.com/buddemeyer72/dwtest

Another Mapex test
http://soundcloud.com/buddemeyer72/mapexkit

Tuli

Post by Tuli » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Steve White wrote:Hi

I think I'm gonna get the Drumagog plug in. I hear you can even just tap on a mic and then change that to drums, pretty cool and easy.

Steve
you will defntly love Drumagog Plug in. I tap on mic, hit boxes ect.. n you can
change them to drum sounds you want.

vezinho
Expert

Post by vezinho » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:07 pm

I second that fantastic addition to Auria, you won't regret it !

Amicalement
Hervé

newbreednet
Expert

Post by newbreednet » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Has anybody tried the Drumagog plugin with a multichannel interface?

There's a cool video on youtube of the WaveMachine Lab guys playing an "invisible drumkit" made out of just microphones routed to the desktop PC version of Drumagog.... You need to route each microphone (kick drum position, snare position, etc) to a separate instance of Drumagog. I dont have a suitable iPad interface yet to try this with but I managed to load four or five Drumagog plugs on separate channels and the iPad didn't fall over....here's hoping this works and I can get busy building a custom pot-and-pans Auria V-drums!!!!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Yes, this will work just fine. You just need to use Drumagog in Live mode, and of course, it's limited to how much RAM and CPU you've got to work with, but for an example, I just loaded 5 instances of Drumagog, using electronic kicks, snares and toms as my gog files, and my project was only using about 70% max cpu.

Rim

newbreednet
Expert

Post by newbreednet » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 pm

iPad 3 here.

So somewhere between a 4 and 8-channel interface, with mics (or maybe even custom piezo triggers?!?) routed to separate channels each loaded with an instance of a live-triggering Drumagog is actually a real possibility?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Definitely.

Rim

newbreednet
Expert

Post by newbreednet » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Mind-blowing.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:53 pm

So, I'm a drummer myself and Drumagog is amazing, I must say, but that's not why I'm posting.

I need a really good orchestral string app that supports audio paste to Auria. I bought the Magellan synth app and my mind was blown but I don't think there's anything out there for strings as good as that, right? Preferably something with a piano roll.

Now, as bad as it may seem the strings and ease-of-use in GarageBand for the iPad would be perfect. Those have a great sound but alas, it doesnt support audio copy/paste.

So any other app with good strings and audio copy/paste is what I'm looking for, thanks!