Are insert effects shared?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washboy
Expert

Are insert effects shared?

Post by Washboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:14 am

This may be a dumb question but: Are insert effects shared or does each track/subgroup gets its own instance of the effect?

Put another way, if two tracks are using, say a ClassicVerb insert, should the effect cause bleed between those tracks?

I ask this because I was intrigued by the almost constant meter activity on subgroup #5 (bckd) of "The Approach" demo, despite the fact that the only track in that group (ChorusVox - #18) does not have constant audio. However, s/g#5 uses a ClassicVerb insert and a PSP StereoChorus insert. Tr#6 (OH) is the only other place where ClassicVerb is being used - tr#6 is in s/g#2. PSP StereoChorus is not used elsewhere. If I turn off ClassicVerb in either tr#6 or s/g#5, the 'chatter' on s/g#5 disappears - suggesting that it's coming from tr#6 via the ClassicVerb insert.

I'll glady blush with embarrassment if this is normal behaviour (while remembering that everyone has to learn somewhere!) but I assumed that an effect 'insert' would be different to an effect 'send'.

I hope my description makes sense.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Are insert effects shared?

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:06 am

Are you using the latest version of Auria (v1.02)? We fixed an issue that caused some meters to show incorrectly. If that's not the issue, solo subgroup 6 and see if the meter movements correspond to what you're hearing.

You've got it right - insert effects only affect the channel that they are inserted on. They're not shared in the way that an aux effect is.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:12 am

Yes, I'm using v1.02. The 'chatter' showing on s/g#5's meter seems inaudible but corresponds to tr#6's 'rhythm' (not the same amplitude though). S/g#5 does also correctly reflect tr#18's content, whether soloed or not. The meter chatter is only evident when tr#18 has no content in the timeline. Tr#6, being overhead mikes, is providing constant ambient audio from the drum kit.

I'm sure I've done so once already but, when I get home and have wifi access again, I'll delete the "The Approach" project and re-download it from the Auria Store. That way, I can be certain the symptoms are not the result of any tinkering I may have introduced.

Do you not witness the same phenomenon with that project, Rim?

Washboy

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:29 am

Interesting. I don't see that behavior here. Would you mind redownloading the approach and see if it does this with a fresh project?

Thanks,
Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:30 pm

OK. I deleted the project in question, quit Auria, powered off/on my iPad3, reloaded Auria, re-downloaded the project then quit, power-cycled and reloaded (all to make certain nothing else could be interfering). Finally I loaded the project and played. The symptom described still occurs.

It's worth noting that you need to wait 11.5 secs. Into the timeline before the drums start up and the chatter is visible on s/g#5. If you just start playing and look briefly, you may be too quick to see it.

Can you see what I'm talking about now, Rim?

Washboy

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Yes, I can see the problem now. I'm investigating. Thanks for letting me know about this.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Glad to be of help (and relieved to know I'm not hallucinating!).

Washboy

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:57 pm

OK, I've fixed this strange issue. Thanks again for the help! It'll appear in v1.03.

Rim