Why no MIDI in Auria? Cheaper apps are offering more!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

xcsorg

Why no MIDI in Auria? Cheaper apps are offering more!

Post by xcsorg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi all.

I dont want this to come across as disrespectful so im going to just cut to the chase!

I want an app, that i can start a project on the go with just a midi keyboard - play in drums, bass, keys, maybe record a vocal idea. Unfortunatly, Auria doesent have any MIDI or softinstrument capability (correct if im wrong) Soo, theres apple's garage band - which is a joke shop of limitations. - I would like an app, that is capable of multitrack simultaneous recording, that will aslo work with USB audio interfaces, will do automation, will export the project as AAF for Logic...e.c.t. Auria is perfect for this second bit, But hang on..... - Thats what my macbook, logic and pro tools is for? Auria is £35 AND the most desired effect (fab filter EQ) you have to buy, making it £45, then when you buy the others your going to pay around £65, and all you are getting is a mini portable mac multitrack recorder?

Yesterday and today ive been totally sold on Auria, Dont get me wrong, i think Auria is outstanding, but theres other apps "Music Studio" that offers recording AND software instruments (interesting there is the same in app purchase scheme going on!) for just £10 - Music studio feels tacky tho, needless to say i wont be wasting my money on the con in app purchases. - I really admire the quality of Auria, it looks great. Unfortunately theres no soft synth's / instruments. - Im not being unreasonable, im not asking for 300GB worth of piano libraries and Quantum Leap East West orchestra instruments, i just want to put down a general idea, with a general 'like' tone - it could even be like a BAD casio keyboard sound, - just the concept of capturing an idea that can be expanded on.

In no way am i hinting a price drop, i respect the time and work that has gone into writing this application. I just feel, its going to take more than a basic audio application to part me from £35. I could live with buying it if, you could hit record, switch application(background audio) to say sample tank, then play sounds in sample tank recording into auria and it be guaranteed to work - - but even then theres no sequencer so its an anoyance.

Ill buy if MIDI becomes integrated PLEASE!!!!!!, its the best app out there but its like a brand new mercedes car with no engine ;)

jukeboxjoe
Expert

Re: Why no MIDI in Auria? Cheaper apps are offering more!

Post by jukeboxjoe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:49 pm

You could have saved yourself a long post by first asking "is Auria going to have MIDI", which we are told the answer is yes. :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:52 am

MIDI is coming for sure, along with virtual instrument support. We wanted to concentrate on Audio first, and get that right before we moved on to midi.

Rim

xcsorg

Post by xcsorg » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:01 am

Well I sure hope it does, I've just bought it!

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:23 am

Welcome to the land of horse-drawn Mercedes!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

bendy

Post by bendy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:09 am

Just wondering how the MIDI support part is going?

If we get audiobus and midi support the iPad music app world will be complete.

It would be great to know how things are coming along?

Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:18 am

We have no news yet for MIDI. I will definitely post any info I have as soon as we're ready.

Thanks,
Rim

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 am

I have a question: is not having midi or audiobus preventing anyone from using this astonishing program to record musical performances?

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:49 am

kwalker0210 wrote:I have a question: is not having midi or audiobus preventing anyone from using this astonishing program to record musical performances?
IMO Auria is still the best thing going for the IPad. The support is top notch! I'd rather they take their time, and get the midi thing right, then to rush it out, under pressure from a few on this forum, and make Auria so buggy that it wouldn't be of use to use audio guys, as well as the midi mob :P ...

Just my thoughts...
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Nah, I'd rather they rush it, do a lousy job of it, introduce a load more bugs, make the app unstable and then ignore user requests to fix it.

Sorry, I thought I was on the Presonus forum for a moment. :wink:

Dominic

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:10 pm

I think audiobus will help with the midi requests. More than 700 music apps have applied for the Audiobus SDK licence so expect inter connectivity with almost all synth , samplers, sequencers and drums very soon. Just plug it in and record As well I would think that the midi in Auria will be top notch possibly with midi instruments made by an already well known sample developer so not just the average GM cheap sounding instruments which I'm sure they could have done already so I bet Wavemachines team are creating a very special midi experience not seen before in iOS.
Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

xcsorg

Post by xcsorg » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:34 am

Im sure at some point there will be midi -

But lets be honest - i bought this app thinking 'they will release midi support soon with software instruments' - But there is no sign of it. - Soooo im afraid the only option is jumping ship. Im sure Auria and other recording apps will be pressured into adding more features as more apps are released as people will go elsewhere... At the end of the day - ive paid for Auria so, i dont think its unfair or 'against' forum policy's to mention another app which at first glance, would seem better for MIDI + AUDIO needs... - Google 'Cubasis' - by Steinberg - Steinberg have released a 'Cubase' for the iPad - which is a FULLY FUNCTIONAL portable studio app.

^ Auria is a great app! it definitely has its advantages but it will be interesting to see how it compares with Cubasis...
Last edited by xcsorg on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

xcsorg

Post by xcsorg » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:39 am

bendy wrote:Just wondering how the MIDI support part is going?
Im sure it will definitely be comming soon and it will be great!!!!!
- But when it does, just be expecting it to be a $29.99 ''In App Purchase'' HAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LMFAO
kwalker0210 wrote:I have a question: is not having midi or audiobus preventing anyone from using this astonishing program to record musical performances?
Nope - Its a great multitrack recorder! But I'm sure you have heard the phrase 'what will do more will do less!' 8)

bendy

Post by bendy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:44 am

In no way am I complaining at the quality of what auria provides. It is second to none.

But no midi does limit the music work I can do with the product. If I want to use an arp on a synth no midi clock really limits what is possible.

So no it does not prevent me recording. But honestly I am limited by the lack of midi clock sync

xcsorg

Post by xcsorg » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:01 am

bendy wrote:
In no way am I complaining at the quality of what auria provides. It is second to none.

But no midi does limit the music work I can do with the product. If I want to use an arp on a synth no midi clock really limits what is possible.

So no it does not prevent me recording. But honestly I am limited by the lack of midi clock sync
I TOTALLY agree - its nothing todo with 'quality' - its to do with the functionality - which as you say - we/people are limited on its uses...