Can't Open Project

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

amonglights
Expert

Can't Open Project

Post by amonglights » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Auria crashed while working on it and now every time I try top open it, the app crashes. Other projects work fine. This one doesn't. Any way to load it without Fx? I've been working on this project for weeks.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Can't Open Project

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:54 pm

There's no mode like that in Auria, but Auria attempts several things automatically when trying to recover from a corrupt project. If it fails, that projects is most likely beyond repair, unfortunately.

Rim

amonglights
Expert

Post by amonglights » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Fantastic.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:42 pm

If you go to import audio in the menu, can you see the files in that particular project? Perhaps you can recover them that way?

amonglights
Expert

Post by amonglights » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:45 pm

Yeah. Not all is lost. Audio is there. Just have to redo everything.

amonglights
Expert

Post by amonglights » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:52 am

Just spent all morning redoing this project. Even replaced track audio with new audio in some places. Didn't have a lot of effects in place and froze tracks that had some. CPU was 30% used TOPS. Auria crashed after I moved some regions and now this particular project won't open again. I'm getting pissed. Lots of wasted time. Any suggestions besides "start again" would be wonderful.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:36 am

I've been sending you emails and PMs. Maybe they're ending up in your spam folder.

I'd love to try and figure out what's going on with your particular project. There's no reason you should be getting crashing. If I can get a copy of your project, I can try and open it here and see why it's crashing.

Thanks,
Rim

amonglights
Expert

Post by amonglights » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 am

Nothing in my spam folder. That would be awesome. How should I get it to you?

amonglights
Expert

Post by amonglights » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:39 pm

So while I was PM'ing you, I simply copied one of the old backup project files into the main folder and renamed it, and it at least restored a recent copy! That's better than nothing. I can work with this. Thanks for your help, Rim!

butch107
Expert

Post by butch107 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Whenever i open a project to work on I've been making a project copy to avoid this. I've always done this in any software program and it will prevent a lot of lost blood cells 8-) Another mode is to send a copy to dropbox when you're shutting it down. Something happens to your iPad, you're still ok.....

amonglights
Expert

Post by amonglights » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Definitely! I shall start utilizing Dropbox more than usual. Thanks, WML/Rim, for amazing support and amazing products! Sorry for venting!

beplastic

Post by beplastic » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:03 pm

I am unable to open a project as well.

Is there a way to repair it?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:16 am

Auria attempts to repair the project file itself, if it encounters trouble opening it, so if it still has trouble, there's no further repair mode that can be done. However, you can try loading one of the backup versions manually. Auria creates three safety backup copies of the project, and stores them inside the project bundle, in a folder called Backups. For a manual repair, you could try to delete your main project file (it's located inside the project bundle, and has a .prj extension), and replace it with one of these backup files.

Were you using the latest Auria version when this happened?

Rim

amonglights
Expert

Post by amonglights » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:23 pm

The safety backups are what saved my project!

robdean
Expert

Post by robdean » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:32 am

The automated rolling backups are a good thing but manual prj file backups would be a powerful addition. Users could backup at waypoints which made sense within their workflow, and potentially keep dozens as a project evolves. If automated recovery fails, I'd rather go back six hours work or a day or even a weekend rather than have to rebuild an entire project.

It would also allow experimental non-destructive edits and mixes: human misjudgement or error can do a lot of damage irrespective of data corruption - all it would take would be for backups to be nameable to help keep track of them.

As it is I'm manally backing up prj files, which is clumsy and awkward. I periodically back up a whole project, but it's very inefficient to have more than one or two backups of audio source files which I'm never destructively editing: it just generates hundreds of megabytes of duplicate files.
Latest iOS - iPad Air 2019 256Gb WiFi - Alesis iO4