Dropbox and Backup and Storage (oh my!)

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Androcid

Dropbox and Backup and Storage (oh my!)

Post by Androcid » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Jeez, it seems like I post threads here way too often, take it as a sign of my gratitude of the good service :wink:

After some glitches with the freeze tracks I figured out I would do a dropbox backup, just in case. When trying to upload it takes forever, and suddenly it crashes. First I tried to figure out why, and of there was a problem with dropbox, but then my ipad started telling me that my hard drive was almost full. I was a bit "uuuh..." cause I just cleared a couple of gigs off dropbox-offline-favs, and checked it out. I'm currently working on one Auria-project and Auria takes almost 9 gigabytes off my hard drive. When I export to dropbox there are ALOT of wav files that go into a local folder (I havent checked, but I think there are more than what I have in my project, there are some substantial "frozen track" wav files That I THINK are duplicates or deleted tracks, I can try to do a count ;)

But yeah. Is there any way of telling which files are in use? There are alot of AudioCopy-named files that is 00:00 in duration and such, and it would be nice to be able to do a proper backup and clean up my Auria folder so I get some free space ;)

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox and Backup and Storage (oh my!)

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Dropbox is definitely a slow process, especially for large projects. It's not a recommended way to do regular backups (unless your projects are small). Backing up using iTunes File Sharing is a much faster and more reliable way to do it.

There are some temporary files that dropbox generates. These get emptied automatically from time to time by your iPad. There's no control over this process. If you want to manually delete them, get a program called iExplorer. It's free. You can use it to browse your iPad's file system. If you browse to Auria, go to Library/Temp You can safely delete all the files in the temp folder.

It's not necessary to do this, as iOS deletes these files at some point, but if you want to empty it yourself, it'll save time.

Rim

limey222

Post by limey222 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Rim,
can you please expand on the use of iExplorer. In the Apps store there is iExplorer for iPhone and it cost $4.99 and then there is iExplorer HD for the iPad which also cost $4.99. I purchased the latter but I can't find the iPad file system in it so I can't locate the Auria Library/temp folder. The iExplorer user guide isn't very explicit when it comes to handling this proceedure.

Rim wrote:Dropbox is definitely a slow process, especially for large projects. It's not a recommended way to do regular backups (unless your projects are small). Backing up using iTunes File Sharing is a much faster and more reliable way to do it.

There are some temporary files that dropbox generates. These get emptied automatically from time to time by your iPad. There's no control over this process. If you want to manually delete them, get a program called iExplorer. It's free. You can use it to browse your iPad's file system. If you browse to Auria, go to Library/Temp You can safely delete all the files in the temp folder.

It's not necessary to do this, as iOS deletes these files at some point, but if you want to empty it yourself, it'll save time.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:23 am

Sorry, I should have been more specific. There may be several iExplorers, as it's a common name. I was referring to a PC/Mac program, not an app. iExplorer is a program that lets you see all the files that are on your iPad/iPhone and do things like delete and copy them.

Here's the link:

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Rim