New background audio mode in v1.02

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

New background audio mode in v1.02

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:17 am

In the original Auria version, background audio mode was set up so it'll work with most other music apps on the iPad. We had some reports of other music apps causing issues when running Auria, so in v1.02 I made some changes that caused the background audio mode to behave in a more strict manner (only allowing other music apps that supported the same audio mode that Auria uses). Unfortunately, this meant that some music apps no longer work together with Auria.

I'm thinking of switching back the the older, more flexible background audio mode. I just wanted to get user's opinions on that. It gives more flexibility in terms of music apps that Auria can play along with, at the expense of sometimes causing the other music app to crash (this is out of our control, as it's up to each app developer to prevent crashes like this).

Rim

SmiteMatter

Re: New background audio mode in v1.02

Post by SmiteMatter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Tough call. If the other developers update their apps accordingly to be compatible with Aurias audio type then no problem right? Forgive me, I'm not tech savvy, but why does Auria, set with background audio off, still cause certain apps on the same iPad (Magellan Synth) to crash unless Auria is shut down completely?
I felt it was working well with the previous set up. So I vote for that.

roberthanline

Post by roberthanline » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:49 pm

It is a tough call and depends completely on the way your customer base is using the application. I was initially frustrated by the line input monitoring issues, but since I use Logic for most of my real recordings it did not bother me to use Auria as a really feature rich sketch pad. I was really happy with what I was able to do with Auria and the other synth / beat applications as Auria was the first one that handled it pretty well, and had all the features I am used to on desktop based systems. I am thinking a rollback would be my vote also, with a note that some "mic line" input devices may not work as expected and that you suggest one of the more powerful audio solutions for the IPad. I was pretty much going to buy an audio interface anyway and had already been researching your supported devices.

Best,

Robert

rafael_ollero
Expert

Post by rafael_ollero » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:09 pm

I vote for the older background version.

Thanks

bynoe70

Post by bynoe70 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Roll it back please. Can't use any of my chosen synths now.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

If it isn't too hard, why not offer both as an option? ("Background Audio compatibility mode: A, B")

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:02 pm

The reason there's an issue to begin with is a technical one - Auria uses an audio mode called PlayAndRecord (since it uses input and output at the same time). Many other music apps don't deal with this kind of mode and crash (or simply don't work).

I'll roll it back in v1.03, as this made Auria more compatible overall.

Thanks for the help.

Rim

Trueyorky
Expert

Post by Trueyorky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi Rim
I think we need more testing before you change the setting as I have just happily had Auria running in the background whilst playing the following apps and also using audiocopy to record back into my Auria project...
Sunrizer + Auria
Addictive + Auria
Alchemy mobile + Auria
Bassline + Modrum + Auria
Cassini - NO
Magellan - NO (but this sounds wonderful in my Auria tracks)
It will be interesting to see which apps other people have tested.
Regards
Trueyorky (tested using iPad 3)

Trueyorky
Expert

Post by Trueyorky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Tested a couple more...
Animoog + Auria plays in background and records using audiocopy
Grain Science - NO

Trueyorky
Expert

Post by Trueyorky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Oops, missed this off my list which also records and plays...
NLog Synth pro + Auria

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Reverting to the previous method won't take away any functionality, so if an app works now, it'll still work in 1.03.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:11 am

My experience of the latest version is that less apps work in the background now.

Apps that currently don't work are:

- Easybeats 2
- minidrum pro
- glitchbreaks
- drums XD

Some of those app don't make a sound even if auria is just in the background and not enabled for background sounds.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Right. We're going to revert to the previous way of doing it, which should get things working better for background audio.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:53 pm

TumbJam won't play a note, when Auria is loaded. And DM1 gets totally out of control then, but i guess that's a cpu or ram thing.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Yeah, I'm also using thumbjam in this current version on an iPad 3 as well as Magellan. TJ doesn't play anything and Magellan just flat out crashes every time. I have no other apps running at the time with Mag. I also have background audio turned on. I'm not sure what's causing it but any update to try and help would be great.