Is there a way to preview a selected region?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jukeboxjoe
Expert

Is there a way to preview a selected region?

Post by jukeboxjoe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:17 am

Say you want to narrow down a region to just a small plosive or an "s" sibilant to do some precise editing (or select precise start and end points for any type of editing in general). Is there a way to have only the selection heard?

I have a Roland MV 8800 that has "from" and "to" buttons that play a couple of seconds of the audio just before or just after the start or end point of an audio region to help you precisely define a region for editing.

Is there a way to do something like this with Auria? And if not, could it be added?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to preview a selected region?

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:43 am

Sure, that's easy to do:

1. Zoom in so the area you want to loop is shown
2. Set the locators to cover this area (to set locators, just double click and drag over the timeline portion of the editor screen)
3. Once you have the locators set when you want them, press the solo button (the S on the left track pane in the editor).
4. Press Play

If you want to have this section loop, enable Loop Mode in the transport options.

Rim

jukeboxjoe
Expert

Post by jukeboxjoe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:47 am

I'm not sure if I described it correctly. When I select S for solo in your steps above, it solos the whole track, not just the selected region. What I'm trying to do in effect is play just the highlighted region, muting the audio just before and just after so that all I'm hearing is the highlighted region. Another way to describe it would be: how can I play the area that is looped, but only play it once?

This type of functionality is far superior to just viewing the wave file because you can use your ears to find the precise start and end points that you're looking for, whether it's for the purpose of setting precise punch in points, or to isolate very short regions such as "s" sounds for manual de-essing.

The steps you gave set a ballpark start and end point using your eyes to approximate the start and end points along the timeline. But the second step would be to then use your ears to narrow down the exact region you want to edit.

Can this be done?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:55 am

OK, I understand what you're asking about. That's called scrubbing. Auria doesn't have a scrubbing mode (at least not yet - we may add this in a future update). Scrubbing allows you to hear the audio as you move the cursor back and forth across the region.

If you're trying to test a loop, you can do that by enabling loop mode, then playing the loop while you adjust the trim handles of the region to get the loop perfect. You can do all this while it's looping and playing.

Rim

jukeboxjoe
Expert

Post by jukeboxjoe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:59 am

I was actually looking for a "poor man's" scrubbing, by being able to define a region by picking the start and end points, hearing only the section between those start and end points (once, not looped), then adjusting the start and end points, hearing it once again, etc., until you have the exact region you're looking for. Then you could separate it and do whatever you want to that section.

An easy poor man's scrubbing by implementing a "play selected audio once" button to use before you commit to separating a new region. 8)