Very simple 1 input setup. Thoughts?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mwbowen

Very simple 1 input setup. Thoughts?

Post by mwbowen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:44 am

First off - Auria has blown me away. Simply incredible. Did a quick 8 track recording using the internal mic to get my head around the whole thing and yeah.. It's just brilliant.

Until I can afford a good alternative providing at least 4 inputs, I stumbled across a ridiculously simple way to use my decent Shure microphones with Auria.
Mic - XLR to stereo jack lead - then into a very basic plastic jack to USB adaptor I found - into camera connector kit.
Everything seems to work as it should (light on usb is there, sound is there) though I'm yet to actually try a full on session of recording like this to see how it really sounds.

Is this a decent alternative to buying a £100+ USB microphone or is it really a bit rubbish? The mics I'm using are Shure PG58s and SM58s so that end of it is obviously far from basic. Seem a bit too simple!

Chris M
Expert

Re: Very simple 1 input setup. Thoughts?

Post by Chris M » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Hello,

Bottom line is if it works, it works! If you're happy with the sound go for it. The possibilities are endless as you move up in terms of price, but if you're content with what you're getting, no need to change it.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Re: Very simple 1 input setup. Thoughts?

Post by Dubhausdisco » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:12 pm

mwbowen wrote:First off - Auria has blown me away. Simply incredible. Did a quick 8 track recording using the internal mic to get my head around the whole thing and yeah.. It's just brilliant.

Until I can afford a good alternative providing at least 4 inputs, I stumbled across a ridiculously simple way to use my decent Shure microphones with Auria.
Mic - XLR to stereo jack lead - then into a very basic plastic jack to USB adaptor I found - into camera connector kit.
Everything seems to work as it should (light on usb is there, sound is there) though I'm yet to actually try a full on session of recording like this to see how it really sounds.

Is this a decent alternative to buying a £100+ USB microphone or is it really a bit rubbish? The mics I'm using are Shure PG58s and SM58s so that end of it is obviously far from basic. Seem a bit too simple!
This is a fantastic way to start- as you use this setup you will naturally figure out your next step!
Don't be fooled into thinking you have to get the interface with the most inputs right away... If you are basically just recording and overdubbing yourself, remember that the more channels on an interface it usually means that they won't sound as good as a 2 or 4 channel interface.
Rock on!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14