Estimating recording capacity

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

garyshell
Expert

Estimating recording capacity

Post by garyshell » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:04 am

The scenario:
I am scheduled to mix at a festival soon and am anticipating the idea of recording the shows I do using Auria. Each night I'll be mixing four bands, each playing 45 minutes. I'd like to record the four busses from the mixing console I'll be using.

Here are my questons:
1. How much memory should I anticipate each set taking up on the iPad.
2. Assuming I would not have sufficient memory to record all four sets each night, what's the quickest way to off load a set to some external media. Because of the ios limitations I don't think I can offload a recorded set to an SD card. I am thinking the only way would be to drag along my laptop and use iTunes to off load a recorded set to the laptop.

Thanks,
Gary

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Estimating recording capacity

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:37 am

Gary,

A quick rule of thumb is "10MB per stereo minute". This is for a 44.1 sample rate. If your iPad has 64GB (that's 64000MB), in theory, you have 6400 minutes, or 106.7 hours for stereo. If your project is 8 tracks, divide that by 4, etc. Of course, you probably don't have 64GB free if you have a 64GB iPad. You can check the amount of free space you have by going to the iPad settings.

There's no way to offload to an SD card on an iPad. Apple doesn't support that yet (they only allow SD cards for movies and photos through iTunes). The only methods available are using iTunes with your PC or Mac (iTunes Files Sharing), or using Dropbox within Auria.

Rim

garyshell
Expert

Post by garyshell » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks RIM,

Precisely the info I needed. At the moment I only have a 16gb iPad2. But even so, given my need to record 4 mono channels, using your algorithm that affords me 13 hours of record time. More than enough to handle all three nights!

It really stinks that we can't offload to SD cards or the like. Means having to lug around a PC or MAC if the job exceeds the storage available on the iPad. DropBox really isn't an option as it is much too slow.

Thanks again!

Gary

Albrecht
Expert

Post by Albrecht » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:31 pm

is there a limitation for the length of a Project e.g. one hour or so ?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:50 am

The limit is approx. 13 hours.

Rim

Albrecht
Expert

Post by Albrecht » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 am

13 hours should be enough ;-)

thx for the info