Apogee Mic with Auria

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Apogee Mic with Auria

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:50 am

Hi All,

Can anybody comment on the recording quality of the Apogee Mic with Auria? Latency issues?
Perhaps another USB mic suggestion?
Thanks,
T

mandodon
Expert

Re: Apogee Mic with Auria

Post by mandodon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:43 pm

I don't have any experience with the Apogee Mic, but I've used my Zoom H2 as a USB mic. I was able to monitor through the headphone out of the Zoom, not the ipad. No latency that I could detect as I built up 10 tracks.

ngoldpdx

Post by ngoldpdx » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:21 pm

How did you hook up the H2? I couldn't get mine to work.

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 pm

I plugged a Belkin powered usb hub into the Camera Connection Kit, then plugged the Zoom H2 into the hub. The Zoom powered up and I selected interface. The Zoom was then available in Auria.

Danny K

Post by Danny K » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:32 pm

I have used my mic on 2 recordings and have had no problems! The first time up I got it to hot, 2 nd try was fine. The sound was great to my ear. My daughter sang on a track I played nylon string acoustic 2feet away , both on 1track and it sounded great!

ttaylorsaxe
Expert

Post by ttaylorsaxe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks for the input, Danny K.
For now, MIC is at the top of my list for use with Auria.
Best,
T

jadmorffier
Expert

Post by jadmorffier » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:38 am

Hi there!

I'm just wondering how you are going with the Apogee MiC and Auria? Is it working well? Is there anything I should look out for?

Ive used this mic with GarageBand previously but unfortunately I got a faulty MiC and had to return it. The recording level was so low I could only record my voice with my mouth right up close to the mic and even then the recording was a disaster to mix with the rest of my tracks. The gain control on the MiC did absolutely nothing and Apogee after hearing about my issue deemed it faulty.

In the meantime I've been exporting my low level recordings to Auria and lifting the gain in there. It's come out pretty good but it could be way better obviously. Because my mouth was so close to the mic and I wasn't using a pop filter all my 'P' and 'B' sounds are terrible. I'm waiting with anticipation on the delivery of a new MiC.

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:59 am

I read some reviews for this Apogee Mic and it seems to be sounding a bit thin.

I instead bought the Apogee One which also has a built in microphone. But it also provides an optional 48V phantom powered input, AND an instrument input (e.g. guitar, keyboard) in mono.

The downside for some is that external power from a USB-hub is needed (not as portable with extra hub). And Garageband is needed to switch between the four input choises of Apogee One. However, the benefit of using a USB hub is that I can connect a USB-keyboard to the hub and sing and play (midi) at the same time in the Music Studio 2 app.

The internal mic of "One" seems good, but as I have a Röde NT2a I use this one instead.

(There is a change of Apple doc connector going on that may affect your choice of future proof hardware.)

Here is a video I made with the Apogee One internal mic and the Ipads video-recorder. The Apogee One is right outside the frame at around 50 cm distance. I guess the sound would be better without the room reflexion and a better singer/player than myself (It's my own song though). The only change I made to the sound is a few dB volume increasement in Avid studio App (now Pinnacle studio app):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKhzLubpkyU&feature=plcp
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.