Overloud and all things guitar.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

cloudkake

Overloud and all things guitar.

Post by cloudkake » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:47 am

Hi All,
So ive managed to get my hands dirty with Overloud the last few days and i thought id share my thoughts.
First of all a few things to note. Guitar Apps, as im sure you know, are rife in the iOS community, some good, some bad, some very ugly! Now while these Apps vary in quality, to give yourself even a fighting chance you need to level the playing field with a good quality interface. Ive tried pretty much all of these interfaces now, starting out with the iRig, which in concept was great, in reality was incredibly noisy - routing through the headphone jack. To cut a long story short, the interface of choice for a clean, high quality, low noise, low latency and nicely preamped guitar signal was the Apogee Jam. I cant recommend it highly enough.

So on to Overloud. Well the first thing i did was cycle through the presets. To my surprise there was a large and diverse array of usable sounds. I say usable because it appears that every preset ever written for any guitar hardware/software seems to have been done so by a universally hired guitarist with a narcissistic taste for psychedelic sounds from dimension X (just sayin!)
You get everything from warm cleans, where more string attack yielded a nice tube-like break up in the mids, much as you'd expect from its real-world counterparts, through to the heavier sounding amps were all well represented. More so they retained the guitars natural characteristics at high gain settings, this was a really nice surprise! Compared to Apps like amplitude for iPad, where more gain meant an increasingly nastier, top-ier tones. Another good thing to note is how usable the pedals are. They're well modelled and though a little thin on the ground, compliment the signal chain. For instance, using a clean Fender style blackface amp and then introducing a tube based overdrive pedal results in very pleasing and warm tone akin to the TS1 tube screamer, not just noise on top of more noise. Speaking of which, the noise gate pedal is also excellent to really eliminate any hum at all on high gain amps. The layout is nice, given the confined space and there are some very nice little tweaks to hone your guitar sound once your base tone is established. Like the ability to chose multiple mics, and their placement (one of three positions) on the cab of your choice. All in all there is a lot of flexibility for your tone and i can say hands down this is the best guitar sound you can get on your iPad.
At the time of writing there is still a much needed update to support automation inside Auria but then the DEV has posted that this is on the way. The only other weird anomaly i experienced was regarding track freezing. When freezing two tracks (because Overloud is pretty CPU intensive, certainly running at the low latency required to record) i noticed that i could not pan to the left. both would work centre or to the right only? Im guessing this is just another small bug to iron out though!
A final note, I'm a professional session guitarist and have been for about 12 years now. Tonal diversity is name of the game for any guitar software to impress me. I do a lot of remote sessions as part of my job and id happily record guitars using Overloud for 'release quality' recordings. Lets not forget the measly price tag! For me this is a hearty recommendation.
Neil Jones,
UK.
Twitter@neiljonesguitar

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Overloud and all things guitar.

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 am

Neil,

Thanks for the review. BTW, the freezing issue should be fixed in the upcoming update. I don't think this is related to THM, as it's been an issue when using other plug-ins as well.

Rim

cloudkake

Post by cloudkake » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:23 pm

No problem! and thanks for such a great DAW.
I will try and record a few sound bites and post them in here.
One other thing i noticed - purely from a bugs to fix point of view - is that there is quite a big initial pop when recording using overloud. Obviously, coming in a bar before, this can be trimmed off but its not ideal.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Do you mean that you get a pop when using the Apogee Jam, when first starting to record? This is helped by using the USB soft start mode in the settings page. Try turning that on or off to see if it helps in your case. Some interfaces emit a click when they are first initialized for recording.

Rim

cloudkake

Post by cloudkake » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:12 am

yea exactly that. Its on soft start but ill try turning it off to see if that makes any difference.

cloudkake

Post by cloudkake » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:36 pm

sadly no change with soft start on or off. Nothing i cant live with though.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:38 pm

It's something we've noticed as well when using the Apogee Jam. It's a great interface, but you need to give it a second or so before you start recording, while it starts up.

Rim

EspiStudio

Post by EspiStudio » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:40 am

I have new ipad (3) and i update Auria, i connect my guitar with irig and i open Overload THM plugin, if i try to open presets or save my presets Auria crash, i try many times and always same thing happends, hope we get fix soon for this bug.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:06 am

This is not a bug I'm aware of. Please tell me exactly (step by step) how to make THM crash. I will pass it along to Overloud, and they can fix this issue.

Thanks,
Rim

EspiStudio

Post by EspiStudio » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:26 am

1. Open Auria, make new project and arm track.
2. Add fx, add channel strip/insert and Overload THM mono or mono/stereo plugin.
3. Open Overload and push presets button and Auria will crash.
or try make some own presets, put rack, pedal, amp and cabinet then try to save you preset, Auria will crash.

Auria and Overload plugin work fine before i download update.
I try with irig and without irig too and same thing happends.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:07 am

OK, thanks. I'll try this and see it it happens here as well.

Rim

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:30 am

Hi guys, bought the overloud plugin yesterday and whilst messing around with the rack options noticed there is a bug with the mode selector control on the delay rack (as in it doesn't work!) The fault is also there on the mode selector on the tremolo rack and the polarity selector on the auto-wah. Don't know if there's anything you guys can suggest or if it's a job for the guys at THM? Other than that Auria is blowing my mind!!
Cheers, Aaron.

EspiStudio

Post by EspiStudio » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 am

Problem solved, i delete Auria and i reinstall It, then i restore Overloud plugin and it works, no crashing anymore. :D

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Just bought it last night. Works fantastic with my EIE, and has very usable sounds. Great job getting these people on board for Auria. Now like everyone else, I will wish for some bass guitar models please!

PS I don't know if anyone else has the peavey ampkit link, but wow what a pos! Any setup with high gain and it just squeals (even with no volume from the guitar!) I've got the matching software for my iPhone, and even that performs terribly (with volume at 75% like they suggest- I just think the unit has inherent crosstalk issues)
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

cloudkake

Post by cloudkake » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:17 pm

I actually found that the Peavy Ampkit link was a hair better than the irig due to being active and doing a better job at removing cross talk. Its fairly unanimous that any interface going through the headphone jack is going to get you average-at-best results. I strongly recommend the Jam by apogee or, at least, an analogue/digital convertor based input through the dock connector. For my ear, its night and day difference!