New Focusrite Drivers Released

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

New Focusrite Drivers Released

Post by Rim » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:58 am

Hey everyone, Focusrite just e-mailed me that they've released beta versions of their MixControl, which includes the new firmware with iPad support. With this new firmware, users of 8i6 and 18i6 interfaces no longer need a hub when connected to an iPad.

Also included in the new MixControl are two dedicated new templates for iPad. These should help setting up monitor mixes.

Here's the link. Navigate down to MixControl 1.2b3:
http://beta.focusrite.com/

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Re: New Focusrite Drivers Released

Post by supanorton » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Any word on the 2i2?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Bus powered USB interfaces like the 2i2 can't be fixed in this way, as they will always draw too much power for an iPad to handle. The only interfaces which can be made to work without a hub are the ones that have their own power supply, like the Focusrite 18i6, 8i6 and the Presonus 1818, etc.

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Doh! Thanks.

Muttlee23

Post by Muttlee23 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:50 am

Thanks Rim for the link and for getting Focusrite to upgrade their firmware :)

The new firmware from my quick tests have got rid of all problems i was previously having :D

Muttlee23

Post by Muttlee23 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi

For some reason the saved settings on the sound card are not outputting to the headphones output - I think it's defaulting to outputs 3-4. Is it possible on iPads to output to the other outputs or are we currently locked down two outputs 1&2?
.The headphone outputs works after mixer settings changed to 1&2 on a pc.

I'm also experiencing some slight crackles after 5 or so minutetes in auria, and it goes after I unplug / reply it into the iPad. Also, when the screensaver turns on, it sounds like the sound card is constantly connecting & reconnecting. iOS problem?
Cheers,
Mike

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Apparently yes the iPad is locked into channels 1/2. But from what I am reading on apple.com the iPad is capable of 5.1 sound when hooked up to hdmi. Some say it can even do the 7.1. Doesn't that mean it is capable of 6 or 8 streams? That would really solve some serious issues and allow auria to make use of a lot of the interfaces monitor outs.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Under iOS 5, we are limited to only 2 channels of output - 1 & 2. If there's a bug you'd like me to report to Focusrite, please let me know what it is exactly, and I'll let them know asap.

Also, are you saying the distortion you're hearing goes away after unplugging and replugging?

Try changing the "usb soft start" setting in the settings. That sometimes works better with certain audio interfaces.

Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:31 am

Rim, I am really hoping you are trying to secretly tell us that with ios 5 you are limited but with ios6...
??? :D

It would be friken awesome if you had 8 streams open. You could actually get my headphones working on my presonus. And add monitor channels.

Muttlee23

Post by Muttlee23 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:51 am

Rim wrote:Under iOS 5, we are limited to only 2 channels of output - 1 & 2. If there's a bug you'd like me to report to Focusrite, please let me know what it is exactly, and I'll let them know asap.

Also, are you saying the distortion you're hearing goes away after unplugging and replugging?

Try changing the "usb soft start" setting in the settings. That sometimes works better with certain audio interfaces.

Rim
Thanks Rim, i think its a bug where the headphone outputs are being stored as 3/4 where as they should be 1/2. This was for both their DAW and zero latency presets and it didnt recall the "saved to device" settings where the headphone outputs where set to 1/2 after a power cycle.

Indeed, the distortion (slight glitching) went away after reinitialising the soundcard by unplugging and replugging it back in.

As yet i havent changed the "usb soft start" from being enabled, but i will tonight and see what happens. I didnt have background audio mode enabled and when the screensaver turned on, the soundcard started producing that soft crackling sound when the soundcard first gets initialised, but every 5seconds or so...

Cheers,
mike

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:19 am

@Muttlee23

Where do you have your headphones plugged in? If you use the iPad's own headphone jack while you have a USB device plugged in, you'll get clicking like this.

Thanks,
Rim

Muttlee23

Post by Muttlee23 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:05 am

@Rim i was using the main outputs 1&2.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:22 am

OK, thanks. For one thing, I would recommend disabling your auto-lock when doing any kind of recording, as the USB device gets reset every time the iPad comes out of sleep. Auria already disables your auto-lock when actually recording, but it's still possible for it to go to sleep while sitting idle.

Rim

DigiPep

Post by DigiPep » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks so much for saving me from having to buy a Powered USB Hub. Just downloaded and installed the new drivers per instructions at the Focusrite site. Auria sees my Scarlett 18i6 and plays back the Demo through the headphone output of the interface just fine. Later this week I'll actually try recording something. Thanks again for the very useful update!

Skyhighrocks

Post by Skyhighrocks » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:38 am

Edit - nevermind!