The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

trupro
Expert

Re: The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

Post by trupro » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Rim wrote:Unfortunately, the 1818's headphone output is permanently tied to outputs 7&8, and iPads can only output on 1&2. So the only way to monitor an 1818 is by using the iPad's headphone out jack.

The second issue, is that the 1818 defaults to a very low volume when plugged into the iPd for the first time. It's easy to solve. After plugging the 1818 in to your iPad, wait until the USB indicator lights up in Auria, then use your iPad's hardware volume button (located on the side of the iPad) to raise the volume all the way up. This is now controlling the 1818's own output level. The 1818 will remember this the next time, so you only need to set this once.

Rim
Hey thank you for these helpful answers, i have a followup on this one...
Does this mean that all interfaces, no matter the brand or amount of physical outputs,
will only output Auria in one Stereo pair? Or is this just with the model above (presonus 1818vsl)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:38 pm

At the moment, iOS5 will only allow stereo output from an iPad, no matter what interface is used. There's no restriction on the number of inputs however.

I can't talk about what iOS 6 will bring, due to NDA, but Auria will take full advantage of it when it's available.

Rim

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 pm

So RME UFX doesnt work?????

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Rim wrote:At the moment, iOS5 will only allow stereo output from an iPad, no matter what interface is used. There's no restriction on the number of inputs however.

I can't talk about what iOS 6 will bring, due to NDA, but Auria will take full advantage of it when it's available.

Rim
as usual, another helpful and straitforward answer from Rim, thank you!
Yeah just an os limitation but the future looks bright for os6.

Looks like from the faqs and even recent posts that you seem to feel Presonus 1818vsl is
pretty good for getting lots of inputs going...do you feel its one of the better interfaces
for Auria in that particular regard?

enzymex

Post by enzymex » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Congrats again to the Auria team for a nice launch - I've been waiting for a product like this, and as a heavy PSP user it was a no-brainer purchase.

After some research on Auria compatible interfaces, I bought a Lexicon Omega this week with "Version 2" branding prominently displayed on the box.  I mention the version labeling because this USB 1.1 interface has been in production for around for eight years, and some of the reviews online show build quality issues for some production runs.

That being said, so far this interface is exceeding my expectations, so I thought I'd do an "in depth" review of my experience so far.

What's great:

1.  Though the Omega only records 4 tracks simultaneously, there are 9 inputs (nice mix of Mic/Line/Inst/SPDIF) that route to the 4 usb DAW inputs.  The input routing is all done via hardware switches, so you are not constrained to pre-setting input levels via a windows/mac program, or other workarounds.  

2.  There are two physical knobs for "direct vs. DAW" mix and master volume that you can tweak in seconds to adjust headphone mix in between takes, without affecting recording input levels.  Very fast and convenient for overdubs.

3.  Misc:  Four stage LED input monitoring makes setting gain easy.  Plenty of clean gain seems to be available.  The sound quality is surprisingly good at this price point.  The USB connection is recognized quickly and is forgiving of unplugging and re-plugging.  No powered hub needed.

Limitations:

1.  Only records up to 48K sample rate.  I've never gone beyone 44.1K but that may be a concern for some folks.
2.  No separate volume controls for headphone/main outs.  I run the main out into a small line level mixer (ART Power Mix III) to provide additional headphone jacks and a separate level control for studio monitors.
3.  The DBX pre's and/or converters in the Omega, though decent, seem a bit less transparent that the focusrite pre's (I have a 18 channel Focusrite firewire rig powered by a Mac for live band recording). 
4.   Misc:  Omega requires external power, has no on/off switch, and doesn't charge the iPad.

So, would I recommend the Omega?  Yes.  My only question is whether I need two interfaces.  For example, the Focusrite 18i6 is a reasonable price, so I could pair it with one of my 8 channel Focusrite Mic Pre expanders for band recording, and sell off the rest of my Focusrite / Mac fireware rig.

So, here's my question for you 18i6 owners:  Are you satisfied with your tracking/overdub workflow with Auria WHEN WORKING ALONE IN THE STUDIO?  Your responses will help me understand if it's worth having two interfaces (one optimized for solo music creation, and one for live recording).  Thanks.

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 pm

I have a Presonus 1818VSL headed my way, but in the meantime I remembered I have a Zoom H2 that functions as a USB mic. I plugged in the camera kit, plugged in the Belkin USB powered hub I have, and plugged in the H2. It works!!

I had a project with mono tracks set up so I could try out the software with the iPad internal mic so I just used that. The Input Matrix needed tweaking each time I added tracks, but I got nice clean signal with the H2.

There was nothing coming out of the iPad headphone out, so I plugged into the Zoom H2 headphone and was able to do overdubs, hear already recorded tracks and the click through the Zoom H2 with zero latency. Nice. I was never able to use it like that with Logic Express on my MacBook Pro.

I closed the cover on the iPad after doing a few tracks so I could do some other things, came back and opened the cover, and everything was up and running and ready to record again instantly. Brilliant.

So is it just the newness of it? Or is it just a really cool app? Whatever it is, recording is a lot more fun using Auria!

Thanks for a great DAW!!

Summary: Zoom H2 -- IT WORKS!

OLIVIER

Post by OLIVIER » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:36 am

Hello, I post the request after reading all the thread.

Does this machines work with Auria ?

Miditech Audiolink III
PreSonus AudioBox USB
Avid Recording Studio
E-MU 0204 USB
Behringer XENYX 302 USB
M-Audio Fast Track MKII
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
PreSonus TUBEPre

Many thanks if somedy knows about one these card, 'specially the "analog" PreSonus TUBEPre !

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:42 am

enzymex wrote:Congrats again to the Auria team for a nice launch - I've been waiting for a product like this, and as a heavy PSP user it was a no-brainer purchase.

After some research on Auria compatible interfaces, I bought a Lexicon Omega this week with "Version 2" branding prominently displayed on the box.  I mention the version labeling because this USB 1.1 interface has been in production for around for eight years, and some of the reviews online show build quality issues for some production runs.

That being said, so far this interface is exceeding my expectations, so I thought I'd do an "in depth" review of my experience so far.

What's great:

1.  Though the Omega only records 4 tracks simultaneously, there are 9 inputs (nice mix of Mic/Line/Inst/SPDIF) that route to the 4 usb DAW inputs.  The input routing is all done via hardware switches, so you are not constrained to pre-setting input levels via a windows/mac program, or other workarounds.  

2.  There are two physical knobs for "direct vs. DAW" mix and master volume that you can tweak in seconds to adjust headphone mix in between takes, without affecting recording input levels.  Very fast and convenient for overdubs.

3.  Misc:  Four stage LED input monitoring makes setting gain easy.  Plenty of clean gain seems to be available.  The sound quality is surprisingly good at this price point.  The USB connection is recognized quickly and is forgiving of unplugging and re-plugging.  No powered hub needed.

Limitations:

1.  Only records up to 48K sample rate.  I've never gone beyone 44.1K but that may be a concern for some folks.
2.  No separate volume controls for headphone/main outs.  I run the main out into a small line level mixer (ART Power Mix III) to provide additional headphone jacks and a separate level control for studio monitors.
3.  The DBX pre's and/or converters in the Omega, though decent, seem a bit less transparent that the focusrite pre's (I have a 18 channel Focusrite firewire rig powered by a Mac for live band recording). 
4.   Misc:  Omega requires external power, has no on/off switch, and doesn't charge the iPad.

So, would I recommend the Omega?  Yes.  My only question is whether I need two interfaces.  For example, the Focusrite 18i6 is a reasonable price, so I could pair it with one of my 8 channel Focusrite Mic Pre expanders for band recording, and sell off the rest of my Focusrite / Mac fireware rig.

So, here's my question for you 18i6 owners:  Are you satisfied with your tracking/overdub workflow with Auria WHEN WORKING ALONE IN THE STUDIO?  Your responses will help me understand if it's worth having two interfaces (one optimized for solo music creation, and one for live recording).  Thanks.
This card was the one intua recommended to use with bm2... If it works in bm2, it will work in Auria!
I think its a great idea to have a couple of different interfaces- especially now when we are kind of on the ground floor with using the iPad and Auria for serious production. Do a YouTube review of the lexicon- I Almost bought one too
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

jhale1966

Post by jhale1966 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:21 pm

OLIVIER wrote:Hello, I post the request after reading all the thread.

Does this machines work with Auria ?

PreSonus AudioBox USB
This one does for sure. Just connect via powered USB Hub.
Jim Hale
MusicalQuests
http://www.musicalquests.com

Muttlee23

Post by Muttlee23 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:56 am

Muttlee23 wrote:Just got a reply from Focusrite....
Focusrite Technical Support Team 8i6support@focusrite.com
11:22 PM (7 hours ago)

to me
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the email,

Unfortunately we do not support our interfaces with the iPad. Also the Scarlett does not officially have a standalone mode, which is why you will not be able to get audio from it without it connected to a computer. It is not possible to roll back the firmware at home, the unit would have to be sent to a service center for them to have a look at it. I have put the details of your distributor below who will be able to advise you on a service center if you did want to do this:

Electric Factory Pty Ltd, (Elfa Australia)
188 Plenty Road
Preston Australia 3072
00-613-9480-5988

Best Regards, --
Will Kent // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... php?id=108

Focusrite Audio Engineering Limited
Windsor House, Turnpike Road, High Wycombe HP12 3FX, United Kingdom
I tried again last night with power to the usb hub and it made no different in initializing the soundcard or after plugging it into the pc and then into the ipad...

The update was done with this:

Scarlett MixControl 1.1
14/10/2011
+ Details
Scarlett MixControl 1.1
- Updates firmware to version 198

:(
Good news everyone! Focusite have already release some beta firmware for the scarlett 6i8 and 18i6 http://beta.focusrite.com/ thanks Rim!!!

Scarlett MixControl 1.2b3

• Updates firmware to version 305
• Updates driver to 1.4b2 (Mac) and 2.4b1 (Windows)
• This update includes a firmware update which much be applied for full functionality

Fixes:
• Mountain Lion Compatibility
• Alleviates some dropout issues
• Updates Firmware to 305 for iPad support (8i6/18i6 Only)
• iPad ScMC Templates (8i6/18i6)
• Increased performance and stability

The problems i was having with the 6i8 are now gone! No more need for a pc to initialise the device and no more usb hub into the CCK!!!

:D

ahespin

Post by ahespin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:19 am

Hello, did u guys know if motu microbook II and Motu track 16 will work, motu specifications said tose interfaces haver core audio drivers.

Thanks, i need a new portable interface my old RME is getting old :P

geiger120

Post by geiger120 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Did anybody try Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6?

Muttlee23

Post by Muttlee23 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm

i have a KA6...and like the maschine they use special NI usb drivers so they wont work with an ipad...

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:19 pm

So I probably should've looked around here more for the answer..that being said, I'm using a presonus 1818 with an iPad 3 running 5.1.1 with an actual Apple camera connection kit (not a knock-off) and when I connect everything I get a "connected USB device requires too much power". Am I missing something? Or should I be waiting for an update? Or am I just screwed...
Thanks!!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 pm

You just need to use a powered USB hub. Most USB interfaces need one in order to connect to an iPad.

Rim