Using auria as a live mixer. video included

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Foster
Expert

Using auria as a live mixer. video included

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:22 pm

so i realized that with this system this is very little latency if any. so why not use it as a live mixer. check out the video i have uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN5-RSHSwJc

pros:

small set up, easy to transport
up to 18 channels
great eq and effects
recording
virtual sound checks
music intergration (watch video)
variation of interfaces.
its just plain cool

cons:

no seperate mix, unless you play around with L/R signal panning. left for mains, right for a monitor
possible latency issues (although i had none) set to 128 samples in settings.
stability, ??? i havent had auria crash yet but if it does there could be an issue. big issue.

now dont get me wrong here. this is just an idea and it seems to work.

this may or may not be a good idea. not sure if it is recommended to do.

i am going to try it out at my next band gig to see if it works. i will have my regular board just in case its not working.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Re: Using auria as a live mixer. video included

Post by Dubhausdisco » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Right on foster-
Can't wait to see the results of an actual band playing live thru Auria!
Keep that iPad cool, though... I picked up a cheap USB powered laptop cooling fan and put those nice sticky rubber pads on it so the iPad doesn't slip all over.. It stays nice and cool!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Good idea. Cool thing is my usb hub can power it. But I'll probably want to bring the power cord for the hub. Doubt the ipad has enough power to keep everything going.

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:07 pm

I tried this out at a solo gig and it worked great.

Sykez

Post by Sykez » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Hey Foster,

Great video. I have yet to pick up Auria and an interface (currently thinking of the 44VSL), but one of the main reasons why I'm planning on it is because of using it primarily as an effects rig. I'm a live sound engineer and some of my gigs are at venues with an analog console without any onboard/outboard effects unit.

Now from my understanding, Auria's limited to utilizing outputs 1 & 2 no matter what interface you're using. So if I were to run it as an outboard effects unit, I'd be limited to 2 effects unless I am willing to do some submixing in the app. I'm hoping iOS 6 would be able to fix this. I'm really looking forward to using Auria as a versatile effects unit, and someday for virtual soundcheck.

As with your cons list, I'd be highly cautious for anyone using Auria at any major gigs. Reliability/Stability vastly outweighs lots of cool features, and I think the app is still too young to be reliable.