USB hub no power or apple cck kit needed, look here.

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Foster
Expert

USB hub no power or apple cck kit needed, look here.

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:42 pm

I have a few posts and videos here showing the hub that I am using that I got on eBay. It plugs directly into the 30 pin dock and requires no additional power. I have used it with my presonus 1818 and a digital mixer with adat and a spdif source and it worked for 18 tracks simultaneous no problems.

It also has worked with my Voicelive 2, and blue icicle.

Just look up my posts under foster or look up auria on YouTube. Sort by date because mine are recent posts. You will see the hub. It's cheap, around $10 or less.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: USB hub no power or apple cck kit needed, look here.

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Foster,

Looks good. I thought I saw a message in one of your videos that popped up on your iPad, that says "This accessory is not compatible with your iPad". Does this message come up when using this hub?

Rim

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Repost the link please Foster. Don't suppose it will allow charging?
Wonder if it will make it thru ios6?

Edit- just checked your vid. Very cool. The hub thing is great, and that's why I decided to settle on the akai eie, as it's got a hub built in.. And inserts and in/out balancing for zero latency. I incorrectly thought that the akai was not powering up my midi gear at first, but now I see that (of course) the screen on the iPad cannot be off, otherwise the midi gear shuts off. Hit unlock, and it all powers back up again.
I've been messing with the cck and various interfaces (audio and midi) and some interfaces like to have the USB cable connected to the cck before being plugged into the iPad, so if folks are having the not enough power message, they can try this method and see if it works...
Also as an added bonus (not much use in auria, but great for beatmaker2 ), my Stanton t90 USB decks work perfectly with the cck (albeit at 44.1/16) so I've got a creepy Frankenstein chain coming out of the iPad for loud slamming mixes- iPad - cck - USB cable- t90 - RCA's out (riaa level) - radial j33 phono pre - xlr out - digital mpa2 - spdif out (at any sample rate I want) - digi002 spdif in- protools
Yeah it's noisy but I can get certain styles to just SLAM...
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Rim wrote:Foster,

Looks good. I thought I saw a message in one of your videos that popped up on your iPad, that says "This accessory is not compatible with your iPad". Does this message come up when using this hub?

Rim
Yes it does say that but all you do is hit ok and ignore it. I originally bought this hub instead of the cck. (I was gifted a cck later). I use it for sd cards, USB keyboard, mouse, etc. Even then it gives the same warnings. Almost all non apple products/hubs will tell you that. I did a lot of research about these type of hubs before I bought it. I watched a lot of YouTube videos. And everyone, now including myself, says to ignore the message. I have been using this hub since February with zero issues.

One big key to using it with the presonus i have found is to have the hub plugged in to the iPad with nothing plugged into the hub. Power up the presonus. Open auria. And lastly connect the USB from the presonus to the hub.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Good to know. Thanks!

Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Dubhaus, with the akai eie are you limited to just the 4 inputs? It doesn't look like you can add any more. I love the look of the akai and it seems very functional.

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Foster wrote:Dubhaus, with the akai eie are you limited to just the 4 inputs? It doesn't look like you can add any more. I love the look of the akai and it seems very functional.
Yeah, just 4 in 4 out. No spdif or anything. 44.1 16 bit, but I just got for live use possibly (the build quality is very sturdy)
But like I said you've got a 3 port USB hub built in, true inserts on the inputs (I've got a small rack of old Ashly compression),
Headphone amp that can monitor1/2 3/4 or a mix of all, and a mono switch to check phase. I think it was $150 or something at musicians friend. Right now if I need more inputs I would just use my desktop rig.
If I can time it right,(while the baby naps!) I need to make a YouTube vid of it because I don't feel like the word is out that this is a great iPad interface for the money
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Penguino

Post by Penguino » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:52 am

Hi foster, got a question for you. I've got a voice live touch, that should work like your voice live 2.
Do your voice live works with the apple cck too or does it need the one you bought on eBay ?
Depending on your answer I'll buy one or the other.

Thanks a lot !

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 am

It works with the one i bought on ebay. I do not have a separate powered usb hub that would work with the apple cck but i am sure it would work with it. I did try a direct connection to the cck with no luck.

Penguino

Post by Penguino » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks a lot, I bought the one on eBay to test it, I'll give everybody the result !

ronwasserman

Post by ronwasserman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks! I ordered one as well and will chime in with any info.

BTY - Here is the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Ports-USB-HUB ... 257081df6e

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:41 pm

That ebay link is one of many. I've seen them for around $8.

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:34 am

Foster, thanks for posting this. My first concern of course is that Apple will lock this out eventually but it's a great asset for now and I ordered one. The ad says it works with "mobile hard disks": did you happen to try that? Mind you, I'm pretty sure iOS won't let us transfer Auria projects that way, but here's to dreaming... ;)

I noticed that it comes with a USB power tap and that you didn't use it in your video: have you tried it powered and did it make any difference with regards to the compatability pop-up you get from the iPad when you plug it in? In principle, it should also help power whatever peripherals you plug into the hub and slow the battery drain off the iPad. Thanks!.

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:47 am

It does work with "Mobile hard disks" the same way a cck would. You can use it to transfer photos and video into your iPad.

the reason I did not plug in the power was the whole point of this post. You can use it without plugging in the power. The iPad will power it up. I have been using it for over a week now with no problems. However last night I did move all my gear into a new room to work on something and things were a little off. I'm not sure what it was. So just to be safe I did plug the power into the hub just in case it was the lack of power causing the sound issues.

WARNING: I did notice something very strange last night also. Not sure why this happened or if it ever happened before and I didn't realize. There are 3 USB ports. Listed USB 1, USB 2, USB 3. I had my mic in channel 1 in the presonus. I plugged the USB cable into USB 3. For some reason the mic showed up on the input matrix in channel 4. I moved the USB cable to USB 1 and the mic moved back to the channel 1. Again I'm not sure why this happened. I don't know if that was a software issue or a hub issues, or what? Things do reinitialize when you unplug the USB.

I did in the past have something similar happen. I had everything working fine with the hub. I plugged an adat device into the presonus. For some reason channels 1-8 were fine, but what should have been channels 9-16 were reading up on channels 11-18. Nothing was showing up on channels 9&10. I didnt think about what USB port I was plugged into at that time. But again not sure if it was software glitch or hardware issue.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:48 am

The Presonus and the Focusrite interfaces all do that - The channel layout is like this:

1-8 XLR connectors on front panel
9-10 SPDIF input
11-18 ADAT interface

Rim