ProTools AAF import problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dougdi

ProTools AAF import problem

Post by dougdi » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:31 am

I imported an aaf created in ProTools 8 with 24 tracks and a lot of automation nodes (the track was mixed with a ProControl fader pack). The automation data (volume and pans) was damaged after opening in Auria. I tried thinning the data in ProTools but still no go. I suspect Auria can't handle that much data. It would be nice if it could. Otherwise Auria rocks! Keep up the great work!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: ProTools AAF import problem

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 am

Interesting. If you don't mind sending me the aaf file (and all the audio files), I can open it here, and see what happened.

Thanks,
Rim

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:56 am

I can't send you the audio because I don't own it (I'm just mixing it) but perhaps I can create something similar. Bear in mind that what I imported is out of the ordinary for most ProTools sessions, there are many more volume nodes than normal work. I am extremely delighted with Auria's performance and can't wait to see the improvements the next update will bring.

butch107
Expert

Post by butch107 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:23 pm

hey Rim, i've not been able to import a ProTools AAF session into Auria and retain my stereo tracks. After opening the session the stereo file has been changed to a mono track... I know that Auria has a problem with interleave files when exporting, and you should choose multi-mono when exporting, but i don't see any options for the import side???
Butch

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:30 pm

There shouldn't be any problem with importing or exporting stereo files out of Auria. It's designed to handle both mono and stereo files from AAF files. The issue is usually the other DAW splitting stereo files into two mono files. Make sure you check the settings of your DAW before exporting. It's possible it's splitting the files (try re-importing the AAF into your DAW to see if it's split).

Pro Tools, for example doesn't handle stereo AAF files properly. We've tested this with PT 10, and even though they mention specifically that PT will now handle stereo files in AAFs, we haven't found that to be the case.

Rim

butch107
Expert

Post by butch107 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:47 pm

OK, working in PT10 and did find that i had to export AAF with split mono option to get stereo file into PT... Thought there was something that could be done when importing, but from what you're saying, it's now up to Protools to fix the stereo issue. This should be listed as a known bug because of the many users that will be buying Auria to coexist with Protools.... I've already told all my engineer friends how awesome this app is, and they're all on Protools. I'm sure i'll hear from you guys if you can come up with a temporary work-around.... thanks. Butch

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks. On our end I don't think there much we can do if a DAW gives us two mono files. Auria wouldn't know that two particular mono files were supposed to be a stereo file. The only solution is for Pro Tools to output actual stereo files when creating the AAF, and until it does, Auria (and any other DAW) will import what PT gives it...

Rim

butch107
Expert

Post by butch107 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 pm

K, thanks...